• Happy (Ancient) May Day! 🎀💈💃🏼🧺💐🍴

Mallow's Bay, MD

Reaction score
Has anyone here spent time paddling among the Ghost Fleet of the Potomac? A friend of mine from the area suggested that I go up there and check it out.

151202192131-mallows-bay-shomette-2-super-169.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2h3oaqimCw

Perhaps ghost fleets are an acquired taste. I've paddled at Mallows Bay and another ship graveyard at Curtis Creek, near Baltimore. I find them interesting, but, really, not that much to see. Decomposing timbers and lots of big steel bolts and nails. It is unique. There's not that many places where you paddle over wrecks, and Mallows has a lot of wrecks.

But that's just me. Lots of paddlers are fascinated by Mallows and it is a regular destination for many local paddle groups. If you go, hit it at low tide.

Perhaps ghost fleets are an acquired taste. I've paddled at Mallows Bay and another ship graveyard at Curtis Creek, near Baltimore. I find them interesting, but, really, not that much to see. Decomposing timbers and lots of big steel bolts and nails.

But that's just me.

I have not paddled Mallows. Friends have and I’ve seen their photos and heard about their trips. It seems. . . . novel. But to my mind not all that interesting. Like Chip said, decomposing timbers and lots of rusty metal. Yawn.

The aerial view may be more interesting than the water level view.

Isn’t there a WWII ship graveyard somewhere on the Chesapeake? Bloodsworth Island maybe?

No paddling or ghost ship fleet at bloodsworth - unless you are volunteering to be target practice. Very active range. There is a mothballed cargo and tanker fleet on the lower James. I find Mallows overrated and crowded. But that access point is one of few on that section of the
Potomac, which does have some interesting cliffs and fossils.

Back