• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Maine Canoe Symposium June 3-4, 2023

Was able to attend about 5 years ago and really enjoyed my time there. Unfortunately, since then either Covid or my schedule has prevented a return trip. Hope it is a good event as I'll be finishing up a class in the Adirondacks that weekend so this year's event is a No-Go once again.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Robin, will you be bringing a canoe?
I think so, I have used it in some paddling classes there iirc. It depends, I'll probably skip "Introduction to Freestyle" and "double blades forever" classes, but I haven't seen a program yet so if they have some interesting presenters (they always do), I might just forgo a launch.
I guess I'll bring my little solo and play it by ear.

Karen and I have attended the past 2 years. Terrific event! We've learned a lot and met some extraordinary people. We're planning to make it again this year.

I have decided to cancel my plans to attend this year's MCS. I'll be focusing on a Trans Labrador/Newfoundland road trip and should be on the road during the event.

I have decided to cancel my plans to attend this year's MCS. I'll be focusing on a Trans Labrador/Newfoundland road trip and should be on the road during the event.
PM sent. We are doing that in August. Been to Newfoundland a lot but always from Nova Scotia. It is snowing today in Birch Bay on the Labrador side.

Last edited:
Glad you will be enjoying road trip… I’ll let you know how it goes at MCS
Safe travels!

Quick MCS report-

Good time—was cold and rainy Friday evening— as I dozed off was treated to multiple heavy downpours and T-storms. As I was in my Springbar… all was good.

Saturday AM, I attended the Canoe Poling which was a ton of fun and a real eye opener as I am preparing a pole for my canoe with an old Snow and Nealley shoe. I’m excited to continue poling.

Middle of the day attended a workshop on shoulder season canoeing and fire making. Was interesting… the common thread always be flexible… especially if there is a hotel nearby 😂

Evening - was a presentation by Noah who is the head of the stewardship of the NFCT. It was informative and helpful… I have been preparing for a solo trip starting this summer in my almost completed wood canvas canoe… so his input was quite important.

Since I live quite a distance- over 7 hour drive- away… Sunday was not an option… so I packed up the canvas tent in the AM and got home just to set it up again to dry before storing… all the while thinking about what I learned.

Cheers
Drew

I was there as well, my first time at MCS, and also had to bug out Sunday early.

I enjoyed the random conversations around the fire (perhaps more popular than usual due to cool, damp weather?) as well as the presentations. Canoeing is not always easy to explain to laypersons, but at MCS everybody's in the choir and you can just jump right in.

Karen and I made it also. The MCS continues to be a really special event. We attended several paddling clinics, the NFCT presentation, Goonstroke's "Exploring Maine's Lost Canoe Routes", and poling, tarps and shelters, and sketching clinics. Benson was there offering workshops on canoe sailing, but we didn't get the chance to sample that. Keith explained English Gates to us and set us up with diagrams so we can practice at home.

The weather was cool and rainy both days. The people were warm and welcoming. We made some new friends and caught up with old ones. We enjoyed a delightful tent site by the lake, adjacent to a brook.

It was a wonderful weekend and we appreciated all the work so many did to make it so.

Rick

I also attended the MCS this year for the first time. Despite the dismal weather, for the reasons so well articulated above by goonstroke and RickR, I thought it was a wonderful event. The plus side of the less-than-perfect weather was it kept the mosquitoes and black flies at bay. I enjoyed the excellent presentations/workshops, and discussions with members of this forum, including goonstroke, RickR, Benson, and Keith. Goonstroke's presentation on his route-finding adventures was inspiring.

IMG_7609 (1).jpeg
IMG_7626.jpeg
IMG_7631 (1).jpeg
IMG_7634 (1).jpeg
IMG_7639.jpeg
IMG_7640 (1).jpeg

Back