• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Mad River Monarch

The housing isnt attached in the pix. the rivets had snapped and it wobbles.. When riveted its flush against the stem.

The Feathercraft rudder of course is of interest. But Feathercraft seems to be out of business.

The Feathercraft rudder of course is of interest. But Feathercraft seems to be out of business.

There are still some Feathercraft rudders in stock at outfitters; I think I saw some at BMO last visit. I would be surprised if some manufacturer/vendor didn’t pick up at least the rudders from the Feathercraft line, much like the Yakima foot pedals became Werner and then Mohawk.

There are rudder kits from other manufacturers as well. If you want to DIY the installation check with Tom at TopKayaker.

http://topkayaker.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=73_87

Difficult to type this but I'm going to put my Monarch up for sale. Reason, I recently paddled a 1934 Old Town wood canvas canoe a few weeks ago and found myself memorized while sitting in it and paddling. I'm not to sure how to price it but I was offered $1000 a few years back if it was fixed up a bit. Please offer your advise on what I should list it for. If you know of someone that has a w/c canoe that's looking for a trade please let me know. I will try to get pics up soon. Robin told me that once I get a w/c canoe then he will teach me the "secret" handshake!

Coldfeet, strange as it may sound, I enjoy helping guys get into the Kruger boats. I know of interested parties looking for a Monarch. Someone always is... I can offer advice on where/how to market that boat if you want it. email me at joewildlife at yahoo dot com and we will talk off forum. Due to supply and demand, and current new pricing for Sea Winds, I think you should expect twice the offer you got a few years ago. At the very very least get $1500 selling to a friend.

Joe

Thanks, saw that. They live pretty far away. I was contacted already yesterday. Will keep you updated, I want to , I need to learn that handshake!

I will start the bidding by offering you 3 times what you paid for it.

X6, last offer.

And we meet somewhere between Long Island and the Mason-Dixon Line.

Will post the Monarch for sale when I get the chance on the classified section and other sites. Let others know who are interested in those types of boats know. Looking around the $1700 figure. Or a trade with a nice 15ft wood canvas tandem canoe. Thanks.

Will keep BIG RED! I realized that I want to enjoy it a bit longer. Will have to save my nickels to buy the wood canvas canoe. Sorry

Thanks, Mike and YC. Those are fine offers but as of now I have a meeting with DaveO this Sunday in Brooklyn!
no they are not. Your asking price was more than fair .. Keep that in mind that most of the depreciation on that boat has already happened and in the future you ought to get your $1700. I suggest that you advertise on Watertribe. The Monarch is highly desired for the Florida coast races.

Will keep BIG RED! I realized that I want to enjoy it a bit longer. Will have to save my nickels to buy the wood canvas canoe. Sorry

Probably a smart choice. Anyway, I was about to whine about how I'm too far away again. Now I can feel better.

Been talking with a friend about a used Phoenix Vagabond they picked up to retrofit, and with another who acquired a (curious origin?) 18 foot, always solo/never converted, purpose built decked/ruddered canoe of unknown manufacture. That one is a truly unique mystery hull, never seen the like before. Always happy to have a few more brethren afloat in decked canoe oddities.

I’m jonsing to see what they do, and thought back to this extraordinary thread, with contributions from decked canoe paddlers far and wide, wandering into outfitting ideas, rudders, sails and other nuggets of personal preference.

Re-reading this thread kinda made me want to find another old-school decked canoe, or a “Tandem European Style” touring canoe to convert. That conversion is such an enjoyable outfitting adventure, with a tandem-gutted blank canvas presenting the opportunity to put everything just where and how you want it.

Or not. When the weather warms up I need to bring our OT Sockeye and Klepper Kamerad into the shop and repaint the white gel coat bottoms with some white EZ-Poxy. That sequence is actually: outside under-the-hose wet sand/inside tape and paint, outside hose and wet sand and repeat. And repeat

That’s enough wet sanding, washing, taping, painting and repainting to keep me busy for a while.

And I’ll have a friend’s new/very used Sawyer Loon in the shop this spring for some much needed TLC. We’ll probably make a couple custom tapered dry bags for that Loon while we’re at it. That should be enough decked canoe work to hold me for a while.

Back