• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

Mad River Freedom on CL

Thanks, Gumpus!
I'll save the Traveler catalog page. Attache are a few pics of the seat slide and one photo of a piece of cedar (ran out of Ash) I patched in where the gunwale was missing. I made the slider work again, and I added spacers (dish washer wheels) to elevate the back of the seat, as I prefer to kneel, and the forward tilt helps. I like the idea of buying a better seat. The Swift seats look nice!

Attachments

• IMG_3342.JPG
    IMG_3342.JPG
    327.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3337.JPG
    IMG_3337.JPG
    198.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3341.JPG
    IMG_3341.JPG
    346.1 KB · Views: 1
wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==
​ Just in case you've never seen one, here is a Screamer.
Bought at a yard sale for $200.00; basically like new condition.
I'm fairly sure it was used by some as a down river racing canoe.I'll bet someone can guess the name of the racer pictured.................

Hey Dagger, your canoe looks fantastic. I like the sliding seat set-up. I took a couple of pics of my Swift Osprey's slider just FYI. I also wanted to mention that the best seat cushion I've ever used is an inflatable one...actually a small thermarest pad. Wenonah makes an inflatable cushion and I plan to get one. Just another approach to improving seat comfort. Also just FYI there was a Traveler on Craigslist in Grand Rapids for $1200 and although it didn't sell quickly it's gone now. I'd think your boat is worth quite a bit more than you paid for it.
https://wenonah.com/Items.aspx?id=48
image.jpegimage.jpeg

Thank you, Gumpus! Great seat detail, and good to know I didn't pay too much :cool:.
I took it fishing last Saturday at a local reservoir. The wind can be pretty meaningful there, but the weather forecast called for 3-5mph only. Liars! White caps and 15mph at 7:00AM when I arrived. I launched anyway because it is a two hour drive to get there, but I gave myself a few minutes near shore to see how the Traveler acts/reacts. It is indeed a big water canoe. The 2'+ chop made me a little nervous at first, but the boat handled it like a freighter. Some gusts blew me sideways faster than I could paddle forward and I had to lean into the wind not to get tipped over. In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have been on the water, and I could swear I heard some of the canoetripping.net folks voices stating the same. On the other hand, fishing is typically really really great this time of year and one can always hope for the wind to die down - right? Anyway, my erratic forward/sideways propulsion must have resulted in an interesting trolling pattern, leaving some fish puzzled and some intrigued. A few dared to take nibble and some went home with me. I have to say, paddling with one hand to avoid getting smashed on the rocks and fishing with the other was challenging and more than once did I have to just let the lure sink in order to have two hands to paddle myself out of a pickle. At the end, I drove home with two hard earned 14" Rainbows and a good feeling about the new canoe. Good Day! :)

Back