• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Mad River Canoe, manufacturing location

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a Mad River canoe, it's a 16' TT Explorer and it's brilliant. Getting too heavy for me to lift onto the car though and I'm thinking of upgrading to a lighter canoe - maybe an Esquif, Nova Craft or Wenonah 15' prospector. I bought my canoe in 2004 and I'm wondering how I can find out where it was manufactured. I don't have any paperwork and I can't find a serial number on it anywhere. It's a decent canoe and built like a battleship, but it would be nice to know where it was manufactured for when I sell it. Any hints or tips appreciated.
Thanks, Sonia

Probably Greenville SC.. Confluence Watersports took over Mad River Canoe in1998. Your boat is three layer polyethylene and yes a bit heavy. As it is a utility boat I would not expect the location of its birth to come up in conversation. There is a serial number etched on the outside of the stern.. Look carefully on each side just under the gunwales. The last two numbers should be 03 or 04 and the first three letters MRC though they could be WEN.

Sonia, welcome to site membership! Feel free to ask any questions and to post messages, photos and videos in our many forums. Please read Welcome to CanoeTripping and Site Rules! Also, please add your location to your profile, which will cause it to show under your avatar, as this is a geographic sport. We look forward to your participation in our canoe community.

I also assume all Mad River canoes this century have been manufactured in Greenville, South Carolina, even those shipped overseas.

As to the location of the serial number, the 2006-08 Mad River owner's manual, found on THIS PAGE, says: "Your canoe's serial number is stamped on a brass plate located on the starboard (right) side of the stern under the gunwale." Look for this in addition to any scratched numbers on the outside or inside, usually under the gunwales on one end, which was a Mad River earlier practice. The last two digits of the serial number should be the year of manufacture.

Thank you. Might do but not sure as I don't want to damage it any more than it already is. I'm surprised it isn't somewhere more accessible, seems odd.

There's no way that the scratched-on serial number could be mostly under the gunwale unless (1) it was inscribed too high on the hull before the gunwale was attached at the factory, or (2) the factory position of gunwale has somehow slipped or been mashed/bashed downward.

Are there signs of gunwale damage in this area?

If something is riveted over your serial number that is ok. Stuff might have been handled differently for the export canoes. They probably crossed the pond stacked together like plastic cups then got gunwales and seats in the UK. Or they were assembled differently to meet EU requirements.

No matter, you can tell potential buyers your Triple Tuff Explorer is from lovely, exotic, Greenville, SC. A sub-tropical rainforest in the southern Appalachian mountains, lush with waterfalls and subdivisions.

Just don't mention the movie Deliverance.

There's no way that the scratched-on serial number could be mostly under the gunwale unless (1) it was inscribed too high on the hull before the gunwale was attached at the factory, or (2) the factory position of gunwale has somehow slipped or been mashed/bashed downward.

Are there signs of gunwale damage in this area?
I think it's probably option number one as it's all pretty even and hasn't really been bashed around in a way that would cause this problem.

If something is riveted over your serial number that is ok. Stuff might have been handled differently for the export canoes. They probably crossed the pond stacked together like plastic cups then got gunwales and seats in the UK. Or they were assembled differently to meet EU requirements.

No matter, you can tell potential buyers your Triple Tuff Explorer is from lovely, exotic, Greenville, SC. A sub-tropical rainforest in the southern Appalachian mountains, lush with waterfalls and subdivisions.

Just don't mention the movie Deliverance.
Thank you - yes, I don't know if it was finished here or not. I was surprised not to find a little metal plate with a serial number on it, but as you say, there might be different regulatory requirements here - no idea.

Looking at the link, I want to visit now - it looks lovely! :)

Deliverance :oops:

The stark reality is this canoe is the number one canoe for livery use.. Nothing careful was used in the manufacturing process. It may have cherished memories for you but its just another factory made canoe and sometimes construction was sloppy. Liveries loved them as they were cheap to buy , lasted a long time, they did not worry about resale value. Should get $400-600 depending on your market. Canoes like yours are apt to have a hogged u shape in the bottom. ( if you have hull side up the center is depressed).If yours does not that is a plus and price should be adjusted accordingly.

Yes, I appreciate it's nothing particularly special, was just trying to work out where it was made. The hull looks good, never any problems and if it didn't weigh so much I'd just keep it. I wondered if it was made before they moved production to the kayak factory as I have been told the older boats are the better ones.

Back