• Happy Cinco De Mayo! 🇲🇽🎸💃🪅🌶️

Lunch ideas

i find this very true when i solo -- so i carry lots of GORP in a nagle, and snacks like cheese, dried mango, granola bars etc...

with someone else, or groups, a real meal is easier to count-on. one of my old favourites is hummus mix, packs well, i mix it in the morning and stow it in a screw-top nalge. i tend towards flat-breads like pita, naan, and roti, on rotation -- cheese is always good, waxed for longer trips, tho often now i cheat and just get the 'stringer' type kids-lunch strips -- they seem to survive just fine in a pack...

i always carry a soup mix in my possibles bag, never underestimate how much a hot cup of something mid-day picks up cold/wet/tired paddlers...

Hello fellow paddlers. For 3 or 4 day trips I make sandwitches at home before I go. My favorite is to cook up some corned beef and put it on rye bread with mustard. Surprisingly they taste just as good on the last day as the did on the first and they are convienient especially when traveling.

To keep things simple I usually do a three day rotation of Mac and cheese, Knorr Rice and Beans and Tortellini. Since the stove is already out I can make some coffee too. I do my fry breads at supper time and find the pizza crust packets work well, especially if cooked in more olive oil than you would normally use. If I am going hard for days on a long trip all of this is needed to not lose too much weight.

Hello fellow paddlers. For 3 or 4 day trips I make sandwitches at home before I go. My favorite is to cook up some corned beef and put it on rye bread with mustard. Surprisingly they taste just as good on the last day as the did on the first and they are convienient especially when traveling.

You must bring a very good cooler, then. Everyone seems to have a different style. I ate sandwiches for lunch for so many years that I only eat them if I have to. I can have jerky or trail mix or gorp for lunch every day for a 2 week trip and enjoy it every lunch break. That is my preference because it never goes bad - if it is kept dry.

I wish people would say what sort of environment they travel in when they post meal ideas.
I can understand sandwiches on river trips where they can be kept cool or when you can carry a cooler. I think it's a terrible idea if you have portage trips and don't carry a cooler or if it's hot and humid where meat can go rancid in a few days

Personally I snack on granola bars land jaeger and dried fruit but in Florida even in the winter the land jaeger is not safe. I never trip with a cooler in northern trips. Cause they have portsges

I'm located in Anchorage, Ak. doing most of my trips in south central part of the state where a sunny day in June may not break 70 degrees. I am usually doing portage trips and if I bring a cooler it is the 6-pack size holding maybe one frozen entre like steak some butter and the sandwiches. Even on the last day they still have a chill to them. The corned beef is pretty shelf stable and rye bread doesn't mold easily. I wouldn't try it with egg salad.

Back