• Happy National No Socks Day! 🧦🚫👣

Lower back issues

Not a senior, however Ian a chronic sufferer of lower back pain and without a doubt kneeling is waaaaay easier on the back. It's heck on the knees but way nicer on the back. So would it be easier if I could drop 30-40 pounds but kneeling in a canoe is all I can manage for now

I have found by adjusting my seat for height and angle, I can have practically no weight on my knees if I choose and still be in the "kneeling" position. For me the swift solo seat works best for this.

I have found by adjusting my seat for height and angle, I can have practically no weight on my knees if I choose and still be in the "kneeling" position. For me the swift solo seat works best for this.
I don't make any adjustments to my seats but to get the relief from the kneeling position without actually kneeling I only sit on the front third of the seat. This allows my knees to be lower than my hips which helps get that mechanically correct position for my lower back that the chiropractor told me about 30 years ago. It's all about proper body mechanics for me. I've started trips with my back out of wack and returned a few days later feeling like I had a successful trip to the chiro. I attribute this to proper posture while paddling and portaging the canoe also forces me to have a good healthy posture which seems to help realine my back.

The "archer" position might also help alleviate some pain while canoeing...if you have room in the canoe to do it. It has helped me in the past.

49a33bc4d6b97_99177n.jpg

Sorry, best picture I could find (this guy older than any of us, so stop complaining ;) haha). His butt would normally be on the canoe seat of course. And after a little while if it gets tough on the knee, just switch legs. Actually looks like his hands could be holding a paddle LOL

Lower back pain can be caused by our spine being in compression for so many years (thx gravity). Try to put it in extension (stretch it out) as much as possible. I try to hang from a pullup bar several times a day. It's amazing how much it helps.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Headed to the chiropractor tomorrow to adjust my lower back. Hopefully one only more night of little to no sleep.

I'm getting epidural shots in my spine, had one and scheduled for another in a couple of weeks. Some noticeable difference after the first shot but still feeling pain. I noticed when I went canoeing last week that I had to kneel a lot, couldn't handle sitting for too long. Hoping the shots will work as the last step is to go under the knife.

dougd

I'm getting epidural shots in my spine, had one and scheduled for another in a couple of weeks. Some noticeable difference after the first shot but still feeling pain. I noticed when I went canoeing last week that I had to kneel a lot, couldn't handle sitting for too long. Hoping the shots will work as the last step is to go under the knife.

dougd

Good luck. The first time I had mine done, it took two sets of shots about a month apart to get rid of all the pain, and then I was good for about 7 years. Next time I only needed one set.

The "archer" position might also help alleviate some pain while canoeing...if you have room in the canoe to do it. It has helped me in the past.

49a33bc4d6b97_99177n.jpg

Sorry, best picture I could find (this guy older than any of us, so stop complaining ;) haha). His butt would normally be on the canoe seat of course. And after a little while if it gets tough on the knee, just switch legs. Actually looks like his hands could be holding a paddle LOL

Good luck.
^^^This works for me especially when combined with sitting on the foward third of the seat.

The thing that I do the most to relieve low back pain is to paddle standing. I always have a 72" paddle with me and some days I don't sit at all. It's good to have the option to stand and stretch once in a while before the pain becomes too uncomfortable.

Back