• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Lotus BJX solo Kevlar

Reaction score
So a BJX just popped up for sale not far from me...I know the canoe is named for Barty (spelling?) Jones, the X = express. Very slim and fast canoe from what I have been reading, have also heard it was designed to be a good canoe for the 'glades, which is where I spend a good amount of time paddling in the winter months...anyone on here have any experience with a BJX or something of the sort...I just wanted to fine some more info on them but theres not much info on it that I can find. Thanks guys!! Cheers. Tyler

Goes straight. Doesn't turn without a lot of work.
I paddled one once. Did not think it was as fast s some more modern canoes though in its day it was probably a speedster
Elegant float tanks on the sides which also led to my dislike. I had a hard time heeling it to free the stems
If you stick to wider rivers it would be fine but I like things like the Wood and Charley Creek. Twisty things three feet wide with obstructions

I paddled with Bardy Jones in the Everglades (Turner River) in January 1984. We had a Lotus BJX and a Lotus Dandy, which we swapped off. After the trip I decided I preferred the BJX, but didn't buy it from Bardy because I knew Mike Galt had a discounted blem, which I did buy a few days later in Tampa.

The boat has a very narrow waterline -- tippy, tippy initial stability -- but massive flare, which gives it great secondary stability. But it has zero rocker and is very hard to turn. It's a fast, straight ahead kneeling canoe. You can sit & switch but you'll also twitch at the slightest breeze or wave unless you have extremely good balance.

I tired of the BJX's one-trick-ponyness after about three years, as I got other canoes, and haven't paddled mine in 20 years. But neither do I fancy Wenonah/Jensen racing style hulls. The Lotus Caper, which I bought from Mike Galt in 1986, remains my favorite Galt design and is a canoe I love. It can be paddled straight, and easily performs stern slide turns as long as you don't weigh more than about 175 pounds. It can be spun with ease by a 120 pound paddler due to the stern cheeks.

I wouldn't recommend the BJX as a first time solo canoe because I prefer more maneuverability and little more initial stability. It can be a great get for someone who is a canoe collector as well as paddler.

Harold Deal side sculling a BJX in 1982. He sold his after a few years:

693292_orig.jpg

Pat Moore high kneeling a BJX in 1982:

8170721_orig.jpg

Bardy Jones slow walzing a BJX in 1981:

3650285_orig.jpg

It would be hard to find three better canoe paddlers these days.

Pictures are all courtesy of the photo albums on the Hemlock Canoe website.

Hello,

I recently just came across one for sale as well and was wondering if anybody could give me a estimate on what I should pay for one of these bad boys?

Back