• Happy "Killer Rabbit" Attacks President Carter in His Paddle Boat (1979)! 🚣🏼‍♂️🐇

Looking for opinions on a canoe

Don't glue anything to the bottom of the boat until you're sure you're a dedicated kneeler, and maybe not even then.

Or until you are sure you are a dedicated sitter. Or will use both positions.

I was hasty in suggesting that contact cement and minicel will resolve many comfort issues. Play with some seat heights and angles, sitting and kneeling, with loose foam simply laid in the hull to get an idea of what you might want where in terms of cushioning.

I have outfitted enough boats for my personal preferences that I know exactly what I want where in terms of size, shape and general position and no longer need to perform those experiments beyond sitting in the boat on the shop floor and tracing out specific locations.

I glue ¾” (or sometimes thicker) minicel in place; the denser composition ½” minicel exercise flooring doesn’t provide enough cushion comfort for my old bones. I have a CCS kneeling pad and while it is very comfortable and functional I have forgotten to bring it when paddling new hulls, and don’t want something else to tote on a carry.

(An aside – it is best to rinse that type of kneeling pad after a tidal trip lest it become salt water stiffened).

Skip the NuCanoe; those things are absurdly heavy, crippled slug slow and are the most difficult boat I have ever encountered to get up on a roof rack.

Bearing in mind the OP’s stated paddling style and purposes a comfortable seated position seems a viable pose for most conditions.

The only reason I ever get in any boat is to fish. I take long all day trips on the rivers and lakes sometimes, but usually 1/2 day trips.

I thought about it and I really don't do a lot of paddling. More sitting and fishing and drifting. I mostly paddle to a destination or to jump from spot to spot.

Thanks Gavia. This thwart and hangers fit tight against the sides, so I'm hoping it'll work like a solid thwart should. it's also a ply kinda thing, so it looks strong. How would this cleat work and look Gavia?

I think I'll pass on gluing in cleats under my solo thwart, and just take my chances. That paddling.net discussion was good food fight for thought, if you know what I mean. The prayer bench is a novelty item I'd get more use out of just before I cook.

For you that suffer from bendy thwarts or seats. Strips of carbon fiber can be epoxied in to add a little stiffness. I know of a few traditional wood canvas canoes that have a little extra sneak reinforcement underneath.

A Different Solution

A Different Solution

Some things I would like to have:
I have a canoe now, but I feel a little too big for the canoe. We-No-Nah Vagabond. I also have the same problem in it that I have in the Yak, I have to sit too low and my back acts up. Would like to be able to sit higher where my knees were lower than my waist or there about.
I use a double blade paddle meant for canoe use.
I would like a stable canoe, initial stability a priority with decent secondary stability. I understand this always a trade off situation, but I fish from it. I would really like to bring my dog along, something I can't do with the Yak. She is a 30lbs CockerPoo mix.

In summary, I'm looking for a stable canoe to fish from, that I can bring my dog and some overnight gear, with a seat that can be up higher. Doesn't have to be a solo canoe.

Schiff, instead of buying a new canoe you might consider outfitting your Vagabond with a foot brace (I’m assuming it does not have one), a back band (all but essential for double blading) and, when you have determined the locations, some minicel paddling.

I had a Vagabond for some time and I’m bigger and heavier than you, but found the boat ample for my height, weight and stability desires.

http://www.wenonah.com/Canoes.aspx?id=73
plus
Wenonah does not list burden or weight capacity, but the Vagabond will handle you plus some fishing stuff or overnight gear with ease. Using a foot brace and back band will not only be more comfortable, especially double blading, but will also be more secure and stable as you can lock in between foot brace and back band as opposing immovable objects.

There are a lot of solutions to foot brace and back band, from inexpensive DIY creations (see yknpdlr’s suggestion in this thread) to manufactured items.

I’m partial to Wenonah’s adjustable foot brace
http://www.wenonah.com/Items.aspx?id=29

and Surf to Summit’s Performance back band
http://www.surftosummit.com/kayak-seats-back-bands-c-283_271.html

$78, plus another couple bucks for some ¾” minicel and your Vagabond might be just the boat you are looking for. Blue Mountain Outfitters carries all of those items.

Last edited:
Schiff, instead of buying a new canoe you might consider outfitting your Vagabond with a foot brace (I’m assuming it does not have one), a back band (all but essential for double blading) and, when you have determined the locations, some minicel paddling.

I think that was brought up on page one of six.. we are now in a big circle.

I think that was brought up on page one of six.. we are now in a big circle.

Just like sitting around a campfire. We wandered from new and used canoe choices to foot braces, seat and kneeling thwarts preferences and other outfitting discussions.

A very natural discussion, given that there is no singular and universal way to sit in or propel a canoe.

My thoughts are the same as memaquay. A NC Pal is my solo boat. I'm a lightweight, but I tend towards long solo trips & the PAL provides lots of room for gear. The canoe is symmetrical, and I have the stern seat installed using wing nuts for easy removal while paddling from the bow seat. It also has classic lines which I really like - a great looking boat. As an alternative, the Shearwater that memaquay mentioned will accommodate a larger solo paddler and can be paddled with a double blade.

I probably missed it - have we discussed how cheap it would be to try a higher and angled seat in the OP's Vagabond? Is the current seat a flat webbed seat?

An appropriate tandem with a solo seat or paddled backwards may work fine, but having done that in the Penobscot and the Malecite and then going to a dedicated solo (the Sojourn) - I doubt that going from the Vagabond to a tandem for solo use will make one happy, unless life dictates a single boat that must be shared (or poled ;) ). One of the best things about a canoe is the variety of ways one can be customized for fit and technique.

Well, it is great to hear so many opinions and options. I have learned so much that I need to reread this thread a few times to grasp it all.
I think I will need to revisit my Vagabond and armed with info gained, explore its' possible potential. I can't thank all of you enough for your input!
Any other input is certainly welcome, I just didn't want you to think I am not reading the replies and giving them thought.

By the way, Steve, I have a flat web seat. It is adjustable to different angles and small height adjustment....not more than an inch I think.

One other thought - if you can, try paddling other boats. That will give you a better idea of what might work for you, or not.
Most of all, enjoy the process and the journey.

That is truly the best advice so far. Everyone has their own boat progression, increasingly better defined as we recognize our own style and desires, and that process of each refining our own art and technique is a large part of the fun

I probably missed it - have we discussed how cheap it would be to try a higher and angled seat in the OP's Vagabond? Is the current seat a flat webbed seat?

An appropriate tandem with a solo seat or paddled backwards may work fine, but having done that in the Penobscot and the Malecite and then going to a dedicated solo (the Sojourn) - I doubt that going from the Vagabond to a tandem for solo use will make one happy, unless life dictates a single boat that must be shared (or poled
clip_image002.gif
). One of the best things about a canoe is the variety of ways one can be customized for fit and technique.

Steve, having re-read Schiff’s desires and discomforts I retract my suggestion that he consider buying a used tandem and paddle it bass-akwards. At least as a first solution.

I expect that Schiff’s Vagabond already has the adjustable Wenonah seat, so finding his approximate seating comfort height should require no additional parts or materials. For his stated desires the Vagabond, with a wee bit of outfitting, should be an excellent hull choice. But I’m not sure that a higher seat is the solution.

I feel a little too big for the canoe. We-No-Nah Vagabond. I also have the same problem in it that I have in the Yak, I have to sit too low and my back acts up. Would like to be able to sit higher where my knees were lower than my waist or there about.
I use a double blade paddle meant for canoe use.
I would like a stable canoe, initial stability a priority with decent secondary stability. I understand this always a trade off situation, but I fish from it.
I do worry that if I raise the seat, I will lose stability. I think that sitting low, puts all my weight on my tail bone and lower back. Both start to hurt after an hour. I think that if I could sit higher, that would give me some relief.
Looking at this, I guess my goal is to have everything my Vagabond now has, but with a higher seat. Maybe I am approaching this in the wrong way?
Maybe I should modify what I have to be more comfortable to me.

The higher the seating position in relation to the gunwale width, especially if you have a large upper torso, an above-sheerline front porch belly overhang, or a big and inattentive “Oh my god that’s a 10lb smallmouth” head to keep inside the gunwales, the less stable the boat will feel. Think of that (simplistically) as a stability triangle, /_\.

The higher the center of gravity the more work some muscle group must do to keep the boat mass-within-the-gunwales comfortingly upright. Especially when sitting stationary. Those stationary stability twitches and tweaks seem inconsequential, but over the course of a day they begin to add up.

For pay-no-attention fishing stability, casting, reeling in, changing bait or lures, landing and netting fish with both hands occupied (and a saving brace awkwardly drop-the-rod-&-pick-up-the-paddle away) I’d want the most stable seat position with which I was comfortable.

Kneeling might work, if you were in the (small) percentage for whom long-term kneeling is comfortable. Fishing specific hulls seem far more oriented towards a low, inherently stable and relaxed seated posture.

Schiff, I would bet that your back acts up largely because you are often fishing from a stationary canoe, with no foot brace/back band or other way of holding your body in place

Instead of being comfortably locked into the hull you are sitting fishing, hands-occupied and un-paddle-braced, with your back and weighty above-sheerline noggin alone responsible for all of the minute and seemingly inconsequential upper torso counterbalance twitching and shifting. That makes my back hurt just thinking about it.

Transfer some of that seated stability enhancing action from just your back alone to your feet (foot brace), your hips (back band), your knees (minicel knee bumpers on or under the gunwales) and your arse (your seat of choice), and you have a far more solid four-point stance.

Actually - lemme count - two feet, two knees, one arse – that’s a five point stance.

It’s a $100 bet, including parts and materials, and you can always transfer the back band to the next boat.

Good comments, Mike. One other thing that may or may not have been mentioned, is that kneeling is inherently more stable. That's because more of the downward force exerted by the paddler's body is applied below the waterline. Imagine there are two handles attached to the bottom of the boat, one at the curve of each bilge. Now imagine being underwater and pulling straight down on one of those handles. The boat will lean, and then stabilize where the handle is the lowest part. I.e., it won't roll.

Now imagine putting 20-30 lbs of your body weight on the gunwale where the seat is attached. What happens to the boat? It probably rolls. Why? Because the weight is applied above the waterline.

The bottom line here is that the more weight you apply to your knees the more stable the boat is.

Maybe. In essence you are lowering your center of gravity. What you said is certainly true for boats whose widest point is at the turn of the bilge and narrows up the sides..ie Wenonahs . Its actually quite hard to roll a shouldered tumblehomed boat like an old Bell and paddlers in FreeStyle depend on that when they apply 30 lbs of leg along the gunwale for the purpose of getting the rail to the water. Maybe the handles moved?

Another maybe is that if I paddle a Toy which is about ten feet long and is too small for me I can upset it kneeling even though its sunk eight inches in the water!

But in general yes kneeling lowers the center of gravity and brings it closer to the center of buoyancy. When the two are in line you don't get in trouble. When they are far apart you can be in trouble.

I get into trouble a bit in the Argosy.. even kneeling the wide part of the boat quickly passes beneath me when the hull is heeled and then I am in the land of no stability. A few swims have given me the idea that that boat is best paddled upright.

John Winters has some neat illustrations in the FreeStyle Canoeing manual.. Maybe I ought to try to scan but doubt the pic would be big enough.

The small tandem option

The small tandem option

If, after considering all of the suggestions regarding seating and posture, you decide that perhaps a small tandem is the answer, I'd like to suggest that you take a look at the Souhegan by Millbrook Boats (google 'em up). It is just over 15' long with a 34" beam. The boat is very stable and will not seem twitchy with the seat set high. The layup is fiberglass and kevlar. It is not an elegant boat in terms of "fit and finish", but it is practical and half the price of of fancier composite boats. It comes in at around 45 pounds making it easy to load and portage. I've got a number of canoes in my livery but I spend most of my time in this one.

Peter

I see you are in PA. Not sure where,but if you are ever up south Of Buffalo,you are welcome to try my Pal on our pond.
Turtle

Turtle, thanks for the offer. Nice gesture for sure. I doubt I'll ever get that far up, but one never knows and I'll keep it in mind. I am just outside of Philly.

Back