• Happy Cinco De Mayo! 🇲🇽🎸💃🪅🌶️

Looking for checklist (solo with dog)

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

​This is the year it happens... I'm actually going to canoe trip. I was wondering if anyone had a favorite checklist(s) for getting things ready. I will be mostly solo with my dog. Retirement is GREAT!

​Best wishes,

Cary

I do have a list but with satellite internet that takes five minutes to upload one sentence.. you ain't getting it! Top on the list is emergency gear to take for your dog.. Such as a dog first aid kit.. New to tripping dogs can get in a lot of trouble..
My gear list is different for each environment.. So it might help to know where you are going. Our Florida gear list is way different from our Yukon list.

I agree that each trip will be different... still there are basic items that need to be considered. I use this ultralite canoeing list to make sure the basics are there and add onto it if necessary. In a generic sort of way, this was LightJay's 12-pound pack.

Pack MEC Genie, 35 litres (seam sealed) w/liner 16oz
Bag MEC Beothuk, down, rated +5C w/OR sack 19oz
Mat Thermarest Ultralite ¾ 15 oz
Tent Walrus Microswift, 5 pegs 47 oz
Sub-total 6lbs 1oz

Clothes: rain jacket and pants, poly LS top, socks, bug net 30oz
Stove & fuel: Primus Alpine Micro & butane canister, lighter 13oz
Cook Pot: coated aluminum, 1litre, fry pan lid, holder, spoon 10oz
Survival Kit: first aid kit (latex gloves, assorted bandages, topical sutures, surgical tape, safety pins, antibiotic, flushing syringe, swabs, tincture of benzoin, Second Skin, anti-inflammatory and painkiller); Swiss Army Knife w/ 3” lockable blade & saw, mirror compass, matches in H2O-proof case, butane lighter, flagging tape, duct tape, cable ties, LED headlamp, iodine tablets, carabiner/ whistle 17oz
Personal Kit: toothbrush and paste, floss (repairs), TP, glasses and spare contact lens, lens solution, sun block, bug repellant, Photon LED light, Swiss Army Knife (1oz) 9oz
Camera: Olympus Stylus Epic 35mm (double zip locks) 6oz
Rope: 50’ Spectra floating heaving line 4oz
H2O: Platypus with inline filter 2oz
Purifier: Pristine 3oz
Map in zip lock 1oz
Total 12lbs

For a general planning guide, take a look at Kevin Callan's The Happy Camper... it covers general camping needs and leans towards canoeing.

Good luck and don't forget to report back on how horribly unprepared the first canoe trip turns out to be... jest kidding but really, the first canoe trips are often the worst and after the first few you develop a much thicker skin and thousands of black flies biting every hour becomes normal.

;)

I have a complete gear list (based on what I have) and modify it for each trip, that will change depending on time of year, duration, region you are heading into, whether you are solo (or how big the group is) and even what sort of gear you have on hand ... if I was heading to an area with fewer large trees, the hammock and treetent sit at home and the tent comes with me ... if I am heading to the woods, then its down to the hammock and treetent, generally the treetent will win out as it is just plain comfy.

If it's getting into the fall or early spring, there is nothing much more miserable than being cold all night.

One thing I have learned, is don't scrimp on the first aid kit and make sure it has some aspirin (or whatever you use) as you will be exerting yourself and aches and pains are a likely.

My list is done up as an Excel sheet that I wouldn't know how to post, but if you want a copy message me and I will send it to you.

Brian

Thanks so much everyone!

​One of the things I remember seeing in my gear was my first aid kit - covered there. I know I'll definitely need to make up a printed one as I go. I'm lost without a list when it comes to preparing for things.

:)

I can see what I'm really going to need to do is making notes on how much quantities I use on a daily basis. It is imperative that I do not run out of coffee.

How long is the trip and how long will it take you to get out should something go wrong? That factors into my decision about how extensive the first aid kit is for me as well as my dog. If I can paddle out in a day or so that's a lot different than taking 2 weeks to paddle out. It also determines how anal I get about quantities of food. Bringing too much food on a 5 day trip isn't that big of a deal, nor is bringing not enough food. But bringing too much or too little on a 30 day trip can mean getting seriously hungry or lugging around a lot more weight than necessary.

Like you said above, start cooking at home what you plan to eat on the trip. Weigh the quantities of each ingredient and keep notes. It will only take a few meals and you'll have a good idea how much of each ingredient goes into each meal. Then just multiply that by however many times you plan to eat that meal and weigh out the quantity of food you need to bring.

For a week long trip it would be good to bring enough food for an extra day but trust the scale and try not to add extra food "just in case". It's rare to hear anyone complain about not bringing enough food on a trip but nearly everyone complains about bringing too much. Most people find they eat less on a canoe trip, especially solo. You're kept busy and aren't tempted to eat all the time due to boredom. Also your body seems happy to consume all the excess fat you have stored. Even when working hard I find I eat surprisingly little during the first 1 1/2-2 weeks of a canoe trip, usually skipping 1 or 2 meals per day with just some snacks instead. After that my appetite kicks into high gear.

Your dog will probably want some foam in the bottom of the canoe for traction. This is also nice for them to lay on at night to soften rocky ground and provide a thermal break. My dog doesn't like laying on the bare foam in camp so I bring something to throw on top of the pad. Sometimes it's just a small fleece blanket, the foot box of an old sleeping bag, or, more recently, a lightweight insulated dog bed that my mom sewed up for me.

Some dogs can deal with the cold better than others. My dog gets chilly at night (we usually get lows in the 40's, 30's, and sometimes lower). I used to bring her something to use as a blanket but now I just put my jacket over her. Seems to work fine and one less thing to pack.

Time of year and location are big factors in determining what to bring and what not to bring and so is your tripping style. Are you spending multiple days lazing around camp or are you moving everyday and covering long distances. Lots of portages or few portages? Long portages or short portages? All of us are different and each trip is unique.

Alan

No Title

Hello,

​I hope it is OK to reopen my old post. I've decided that I will have my checklist here in this thread. It will be a WIP and will take some time, but I will be able to get advise on items I do or don't have yet. At this time, I just want to say that I have been assembling gear, trying to eat more 'camp' foods and I find most importantly, I've been taking hikes with my 'camp' backpack. I'm not sure of the weight yet, but I do note my legs wanted to pop out of my pelvic sockets on the first day, but I just feel great with it now.

​I've been canoeing with Sophie about 6 or 7 times and she is really at home in the canoe. Her tumor is really getting big, but her Vet and I are in agreement that she is doing well and we wont do anything to change it. I cherish each and every day with her. I was just about to reserve a campsite when the summer heat kicked in and she just can't be out in that anymore, so camping will most likely have to wait, but I do hope to give it a try at a non-reservation campsite to see how things go with her.

List will take time.. bear with me!

Attachments

• photo7173.jpg
    photo7173.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 1
Reserved for my Checklist (work in progress)

​PREP / RESERVATION / LEGALITIES:

CAMP BACKPACK: Frost River Isle Royale backpack.
Tarp - CCS xxx
Tent - Mountain Headwear xxx
​Sleeping pad - Thermarest xxx
Sleeping bag -
​Wool blanket -
​Hatchet -
small saw-
Water filtration -
​Burner - MSR Dragonfly
T.P.
​LED flashlight(s)

"​ME" BACKPACK:

​First Aid kit -
Medicine -

FOOD PACK:

​As I said, this will take time, don't read too much into the list yets

Last edited:
I'm so sorry to hear your dog has a tumor. That its growing is concerning so go sooner than later
Dogs in that case need extra nutrition so give that some consideration

Back