• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

Longfellow's Hiawatha Build

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
While researching the name Hiawatha for a completely unrelated subject (girl's high school basketball), I came upon Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's epic poem The Song of Hiawatha. Within the poem I found many names and words related to canoes and canoeing, the (Ojibwa legend) origin of which I had never thought about.

Wenonah was the mother of Hiawatha.

Nokomis was the mother of Wenonah.

Minnehaha was the wife of Hiawatha.

Cheemaun was Hiawatha's magical birch bark canoe, which he could propel and control just by his thoughts.

Keewaydin was the northwest (or home) wind.

In Chapter VII of the poem, which I recommend reading, Longfellow poetically describes in detail exactly how Hiawatha built his birch bark Cheemaun on the shores of the Taquamenaw River, which ultimately empties into the "waters of Pauwating" (Ojibwa for Sault Saint Marie): bark from the birch, frame from the cedar, fiber from the roots of the tamarack-larch, resin from the fir, decorations from hedgehog quills.

And then:

"Thus the Birch Canoe was builded
In the valley, by the river,
In the bosom of the forest;
And the forest's life was in it,
All its mystery and its magic,
All the lightness of the birch-tree,
All the toughness of the cedar,
All the larch's supple sinews;
And it floated on the river
Like a yellow leaf in Autumn,
Like a yellow water-lily.
Paddles none had Hiawatha,
Paddles none he had or needed,
For his thoughts as paddles served him,
And his wishes served to guide him;
Swift or slow at will he glided,
Veered to right or left at pleasure."
. . . .

"And thus sailed my Hiawatha
Down the rushing Taquamenaw,
Sailed through all its bends and windings,
Sailed through all its deeps and shallows,
While his friend, the strong man, Kwasind,
Swam the deeps, the shallows waded.
Up and down the river went they,
In and out among its islands,
Cleared its bed of root and sand-bar,
Dragged the dead trees from its channel,
Made its passage safe and certain,
Made a pathway for the people,
From its springs among the mountains,
To the waters of Pauwating,
To the bay of Taquamenaw."

For the technically inclined, who might be interested in poetic screws and glue, here's a brief word about how Longfellow built The Song of Hiawatha.

He structured the poem's meter, which is like the underlying "beat" of a song, in something called trochaic tetrameter.

These unfamiliar words are easy to understand. There are eight syllables in each line of the poem, making four (tetra) pairs of syllables. A pair of poetry syllables is called trochaic when the first syllable is stressed when read and the second syllable is unstressed. Thus, every line in the poem is read with alternating stressed and unstressed syllables, like these famous lines (referring to Lake Superior):

By the shores of Gitche Gumee,

By the shining Big-Sea-Water,

Stood the wigwam of Nokomis,

Longfellow chose trochaic tetrameter for the poem because he thought it would be evocative of native Indian chanting and drum beats.

Very interesting, Glenn. Thanks for enhancing my understanding of Longfellows’s poem. I had no idea of the underlying structural concepts. Sometimes, and way too often, I am amazed by my ignorance. But I’m only 73. Still time to learn and expand. :eek:

Cheemaun, or as it is pronounced up here, Jiimaan, is the actual generic word for canoe in Anishinaabemowin, the language of the Anishinaabe. My Anishinaabe chums don't usually refer to themselves as Ojibway.

Cheemaun, or as it is pronounced up here, Jiimaan, is the actual generic word for canoe in Anishinaabemowin, the language of the Anishinaabe. My Anishinaabe chums don't usually refer to themselves as Ojibway.

Cheemaun, as Longfellow and some modern sources spell it, or Chemaun (originally jiimaan), as his Ojibwa source spelled it, is the generic word for canoe in Ojibwa. And all canoes to these northern tribes in the early 19th century were, of course, birch bark. Hiawatha is generally thought to be an Iroquois-Mohawk name.

In the poem, Hiawatha deliberately chooses yellow birch bark rather than white because yellow betokens summer rather than winter. You also see the trees crying, sobbing and reacting with horror and sorrow at Hiawatha's cuts, but in the end they give in and he respects them by taking only what's necessary.

Last edited:
Very interesting, Glenn. Thanks for enhancing my understanding of Longfellows’s poem. I had no idea of the underlying structural concepts. Sometimes, and way too often, I am amazed by my ignorance. But I’m only 73. Still time to learn and expand.

Indeed, I'm 76 and learned about trochaic tetrameter approximately one hour before I posted about it.

Indeed, I'm 76 and learned about trochaic tetrameter approximately one hour before I posted about it.

I enjoyed the little poetry lesson as well.

It's good to know it's still not too late for me to learn. I've never enjoyed poetry because I haven't understood how to read it. I know there's a cadence that doesn't necessarily relate to the lines or punctuation but have never stopped to learn it. One of these days...

Alan

Longfellow started a tradition that continues to today. Anishinaabemowin seems to be the language of choice in movies and TV shows, no matter the linguistic designation of the cultural group being portrayed. I have seen Mohawks, West Coast First Nations and even some Inuit speaking Ojibway or Oji-Cree in movies. While I'm at it, everytime a movie tries to portray a wilderness setting, a loon is heard hooting away, even in the middle of winter or in the middle of a desert. dang defective researchers!

While I'm at it, everytime a movie tries to portray a wilderness setting, a loon is heard hooting away, even in the middle of winter or in the middle of a desert. dang defective researchers!

I remember watching "Farewell to the King" (Nick Nolte, filmed in Borneo) and listening to the rare Borneo Common Loon. Jeez.

Originally posted by Sweetfancymoses

Call me a pigeon-liver’d fustilarian, but I like my iambic pentameter!

Fustilarian? That’s a new word for me. But then again, I’m just a lowlife. For a canoetripping website, I’m sure learning a lot about vocabulary and poetry.

SFMoses is showing he is a literary polyhistor.

You see, the first recorded use of the word fustilarian is from Shakespeare's Henry IV in which Falstaff exclaims, "Away, you scullion! You rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe." And Shakespeare, of course, primarily wrote verse in iambic pentameter.

Iambic pentameter is a verse structure also easy to understand. It means there are 10 syllables in each line, comprising five (penta) pairs of syllables. A pair of poetry syllables is called iambic when the first syllable is unstressed when read and the second syllable is stressed -- the opposite of trochaic.

To stay with Hiawatha's canoe build, let's see how Robert Frost used iambic pentameter in his poem Birches.

When I see birches bend to left and right

Across the lines of straighter darker trees,

I like to think some boy’s been swinging them.

So, even though this is a canoeing site and

"Now is the winter of our discontent",

in order to learn anything new when old,

"Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears."

Those, of course, are examples of Shakespeare writing in iambic pentameter.

Yeah, I saw that same article about Henry IV, Glenn. Scullion and rampallion are also somewhat obscure. Another article indicated “lowlife” for fustilarian. I went wit lowlife for me in my previous post.

I remember learning about iambic pentameter in high school English. But I would have been more than hard pressed to explain it today. Thanks for the refresher. Even armed with this resurrected knowledge, I doubt that I will be churning out very many Shakespearian odes.

Back