• Happy Launch of Lewis & Clark Expedition (1804)! 🧭🏞🏞️

Long traditional Ottertail paddles

Thanks for the link.. Its hard to find a 72 inch paddle these days and some folks like to use that length for standing in the boat and scouting rips while maintaining control of their canoe. then they sit and paddle Northwoods style which works well with a "standing length" paddle
The other stuff is reasonably priced too.. the pack baskets. and crooked knife are bargains.

Tumpline shoppers take notice too.

Yeh, I'd also like to thank you for the link. I am in the market for a 72" ottertail (they are out) a crooked knife, a pack basket, and a tumpline. The $10,000.00 canoe will have to wait though.

I just ordered a tump and a 63 inch unfinished paddle. I am glad you posted the link PA.Tripper. I will let you know how it all turns out after my order arrives.

Bob.

I added the Bark Canoe Store to the small scale site related section of the forum. Thanks for posting this information, I signed up for the newsletter.

if anyone wants to learn the Northwoods Stroke, Greg Nolan and I will be doing a free clinic at the WCHA Assembly in Paul Smiths NY. Bring your ottertail!

When is this event at Paul Smith's? I may be able to attend
if anyone wants to learn the Northwoods Stroke, Greg Nolan and I will be doing a free clinic at the WCHA Assembly in Paul Smiths NY. Bring your ottertail!

I just placed an order today with John the owner. Besides having great prices and what seems to be quality stuff it was nice to have the owner show enough interest in me, to ask what I paddle.

Well I have finished my ash paddle from barkcanoe.com, but have not had a chance to use it yet .. 30 + MPH winds and sun, then wicked snow showers, then sun. I will have to see if I like it another weekend. Anyway, this is how it turned out with some penetrating oil stain and tung oil with a bit of poly to seal her up. I can't wait to use it.

UQzpqKf.jpg

Bob.

Anybody know the story on their axes? I've been wanting a Hudson bay pattern, but that seems to cheap to be anything good. I couldn't see any foundry mark in the picture. Who makes them?

Nice gear at great prices! I can't find anywhere on the site their photos of both ottertail and voyageur paddles. I know what other manufacturers' versions look like. I own one of each (Grey Owl), but I'd like to see Barkcanoe's versions.
Nice looking paddle Bob. The wood grain really pops! Hockey tape? I might try that.

Odyssey,

No Hockey tape, just black leather wrap. The leather helps to quiet the paddle gunnel noise on my J-stroke. I don't think they make the Voyageur paddle anymore - not sure.

Bob.

Thanks Bob, so that leather really ages dark. I've considered that too for prying off the gunnel for the Canadian stroke.

Back