• Happy National Paranormal Day! 🔮👻👽

LL Bean return experience-Good and better than Good

Reaction score
Last week I stopped into the LL Bean store in Freeport, Maine to exchange some Christmas gifts (slippers and too tight jeans) for some good stuff like a lightweight fishing outfit. My stuff was still in the box with tags and receipts.
While waiting in line, the lady in front of me tried to return a lightweight sweater.
Store employee: How long have you had this?
Lady in front of me: Two year.
Store employee: Have you worn it?
Lady in front of me:No wear it.
Store employee: (after she turns the sleeve cuffs inside out) Sorry, we can't take this back.
Next guy in line does small fist pump.
Minutes later I'm on my way to the fishing tackle section with a $100 dollar store credit in my hand and I see "old sweater lady" heading out the door with a sour look on her puss...haha, life is good when a great company like LL Bean stands up to these flim flam artists

I saw that they ended their lifetime return on boots. Sounded like too many people were wanting old garage sale finds redone for free.

I worked for Beans for a time. Never was there a lifetime guarantee. There was a satisfaction guarantee which of course is muddy.

Last edited:
We have a good old hardware store in town. Sells everything from obscure plumbing bits to high end electric guitars and a large assortment of guns. A buddy of mine, who had the distinction of being the biggest cheapskate in the entire world, bought a stereo amplifier from them about 30 years ago. A lightening bolt hit the power pole beside his house and blew out all his electronics. He took the amp back to the hardware store, 30 years after he bought it, and they replaced it, no charge.

I have walked in with no money, and walked out 30 minutes later with a 1000 dollar electric guitar. They just put it on a bill and let me pay it off. No interest.

There are countless stories like this about them. If you ever drive through Geraldton on your way north to canoe, stop in at Marino's Hardware store. It's one of the last good things left in life.

Ho man I use to work in an outdoor store( actually use to be there buyer) and the stuff that people want to send on warranty or plain exchange or have there money back on stuff that is totally worn out or plaine abused...

I guess I've never been unhappy with any of the dealings I've had with Bean. Be it at the main store in Maine or their new offshoot in Albany, NY, I've always found them to be fair. That being said, I also haven't tried to return anything that's been used or worn out of existence.

My guess is if everyone who ever dealt with Bean was like the folks found on this forum, they wouldn't have had to alter their returns policy. Just saying...

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

My sisters and I gave my Dad a pair of 6" Bean Boots for Christmas back in the late '80s.
He wore them a lot for 10 or so years and my Aunt suggested he send them to LL Bean for new soles.
He paid the shipping and it was absolutely free.
He died in '05 and the boots were still in great condition. I have them and still wear them.
I would not have asked for them to be resoled for free but am saddened that this very old policy of theirs is discontinued.

Back