• Happy National Zipper Day (pat. 1913)! 🤐

Little Tobique River, New Brunswick

Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm excited to report -- a little late -- that on the May long weekend last year (2017) I ran the Little Tobique in northwestern, New Brunswick from a put-in just outside Mt. Carlton Provincial Park to the Riley Brook General Store in Riley Brook, N.B. We put-in outside the park to avoid an access fee and used a shuttle arranged for us by the owner of the store.

The Little Tobique is a winding, narrow river that is full of log jams and sweepers. All-in-all the Little Tobique is a nice river, although it closely parallels logging roads for a significant portion of its length. The trout fishing was quite good, although the fish were small. The river was technically challenging despite a lack of rapids. The tight corners were loaded with sweepers so you had to be on your toes in the quick moving water. At the start of the trip, the closest gauge in Riley Brook read 2.32, which was more than enough water. At this water level, we were able to skirt through a lot of the jams without having to carry around them.

The camping on the Little Tobique is pretty unique. There aren't many opportunities to camp in wooded areas, but the river boasts gravel bars that make excellent campsites -- see image below.

The full trip report with accompanying maps (jpeg and georeferenced PDF) can be read at the URL below. I'm really making a concerted effort to improve my writing, so if you have impressions, opinions, or feedback I'd love to hear them.

maritimeoutofdoors.com/2018/03/04/littletobique/

Thanks for taking a look!

-Grant.

Attachments

• photo9070.jpg
    photo9070.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo9071.jpg
    photo9071.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo9072.jpg
    photo9072.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo9073.jpg
    photo9073.jpg
    327.3 KB · Views: 0
I like the report and it sounds like a great river to run.

You have a good style of writing, and you have just encountered the last sweeper of the trip.

I stream fished portions of the Little Tobique back in the early '80s. Lovely river. I bugged my father about canoeing it but he had no interest in river running.
Thanks for reminding me about this river. I think I'm going to look at it for a trip with my son.

Great trip report and there is nothing wrong with your style. I especially like the part about asking a bull moose for directions. That's right up my alley.

Hi all!

I'm excited to report -- a little late -- that on the May long weekend last year (2017) I ran the Little Tobique in northwestern, New Brunswick from a put-in just outside Mt. Carlton Provincial Park to the Riley Brook General Store in Riley Brook, N.B. We put-in outside the park to avoid an access fee and used a shuttle arranged for us by the owner of the store.

The Little Tobique is a winding, narrow river that is full of log jams and sweepers. All-in-all the Little Tobique is a nice river, although it closely parallels logging roads for a significant portion of its length. The trout fishing was quite good, although the fish were small. The river was technically challenging despite a lack of rapids. The tight corners were loaded with sweepers so you had to be on your toes in the quick moving water. At the start of the trip, the closest gauge in Riley Brook read 2.32, which was more than enough water. At this water level, we were able to skirt through a lot of the jams without having to carry around them.

The camping on the Little Tobique is pretty unique. There aren't many opportunities to camp in wooded areas, but the river boasts gravel bars that make excellent campsites -- see image below.

The full trip report with accompanying maps (jpeg and georeferenced PDF) can be read at the URL below. I'm really making a concerted effort to improve my writing, so if you have impressions, opinions, or feedback I'd love to hear them.

maritimeoutofdoors.com/2018/03/04/littletobique/

Thanks for taking a look!

-Grant.

I lived in NewBrunswick for 35 years. Fished and canoed various rivers but mostly the Miramichi which I have some writings of. It's a beautiful province with lots of long rivers that you could take weeks to run it's entirety. I like your blog.

Back