• Happy National Audubon Day! 🐣🐦🦅🕊️

Lightweight Food Pack

I too have seen many drug sniffing dog demonstrations, dogs who can detect drugs and other items through what any human would claim to be impossibly well hermetically sealed packages. Flying a cargo plane for the Air Force, one time we had a group of enlisted passengers transported to Okinawa. Upon landing the local officials brought a drug dog on board to sniff everyone's bags. The dog alerted on one bag and when the officials tore it apart determined the dog was only interested in a regular can of tuna fish buried in one bag. The odor may or may not have been simply on the outside of the can. There was nothing but tuna inside the can. In SAR there are trained dogs who can detect a body under many feet of water while riding in a boat.

It is said that a bear's nose is even more sensitive and in tune with detecting odors than a dog.

Last edited:
No argument about bears sense of smell or some smell getting out of waterproof and plastic bags, but I believe it greatly reduces the amount of odor and distance a bear might smell your food. I'll still do it.

For bags that will give you the lowest odour go to the people who commonly really need to be smell free!

https://stinksack.com/

There are others on the market as well, check out your local head shop or pot dealer for advice!

The large (60L) is used for gear only never food. Sleeping bags, tent etc. The small (30L) is our food barrel & kitchen kit. I used to hang it but it was always a bit heavy for that so for years now I've been stashing it. I leave it in it's harness though slipping it in and out again isn't an issue. We never stash the kitchen pots, pans and stove; they stay near the fire because they're always kept clean. A toiletry bag hangs in camp until it's time to stash, as it goes in with the (sealed) food.
Freezer grade Ziplocks are reused if they've contained "dry" goods, like rice, lentils etc. The very few (maybe 1-2 per trip) sloppy ones get burnt or washed and rinsed like dishes and then double zipped inside a large one for garbage safe keeping. The result being that "dirty" bags are either burnt (I don't like burning plastic) or cleaned and contained. All our food has been repackaged already so there's little of it.

Last edited:
44495622510_f8b1afc7d6_c.jpg

Kathleen and I prefer to trip out on the tundra, or in the Land of Little Sticks. No opportunity to hang food. Even on wooded rivers, we prefer to camp on beaches, gravel bars or sand bars. Difficult to hang food. At night we put our gear and canvass packs under the upturned canoe. The white buckets contain our cooking gear and soon-to-be eaten food. They go next to the canoe. We only recently tripped with a blue barrel. It goes next to the canoe. I like to have the canoe and gear close enough to the tent that I can protect it with bear spray, bear banger, or .308 rifle if necessary. We have never had a problem with bears, or even rodents.

Problem bears are an important side story to all this. A problem bear starts somewhere and with someone, usually but not always within the park systems where there are more people, and where any number of campers clumsily start and/or continue a problem bear on it's problematic foraging. We've learned from the start how not to be in this equation; it's not rocket science. As has been mentioned, a camper with previous bad behaviour can soon boobytrap an otherwise nice looking campsite for any unsuspecting tripper. I reason that if I see an unhygienic and littered site it's safe to say the lazy slobs were also as unlikely to care about their food handling. Poor toiletry habits are often the first signs to see when approaching from shore. I don't need to describe what that looks like. We never even bothered to land, though it's been many years since we've seen sites like that (in a park coincidentally). We are outside parks these days but that only lessens the chances of problem bears, it doesn't guarantee against them being there. We'll avoid an area altogether where a known problem bear is ranging. But like I say a bear has to start somewhere on it's delinquency, and not every bear that wanders into camp is necessarily a problem bear, but there is the potential for it to become one if we're not careful. I just don't want to be anywhere near if and when that happens. Our food handling habits and containment are our important first line of defence. It also involves a lot of common sense and easy to learn habits. The pots and pans and bear bangers are the second line of defence I hope never to need.

Last edited:
There have been only two instances on all of our tripping that a bear actually came into our camp. Both situations were where there had been previous long-term or permanent camps. The following snippet is from where we were camped near a recent fire-suppression camp, where we were to be picked up by the float plane. There was lots of garbage spread around at the pick up. Not good, so we camped about 15 minutes away, at a cleaner location. I quote from my diary.

Yet again, another hot, sunny morning. Also, yet again, we relaxed over a slow fire and a bannock cooked slowly to the proverbial golden brown. We then started to pack, for the final time, and to load the canoe for the 15-minute paddle down Austin Lake to our pickup spot. I folded the tent and fly, rolled them up, and crammed them into the stuff-sack. We carried the canoe and all the smaller parcels and hand-held items down to the beach. I leaned my .308 rifle up against the canoe. We then returned for the three large canoe packs.

"Michael. There's a bear!"

I turned. Sure enough. A large (aren't approaching bears always large?) black bear was ambling toward the packs, striding right through the patch of Kinnikinnick where our tent had stood only moments ago. Together, Kathleen and I backed off slowly toward the beach and my .308 rifle leaning up against the canoe. The bear kept advancing, but not toward us. Kathleen and I stopped, stood together to appear larger and more formidable, and yelled out things that bears probably wouldn’t like to hear, such as “Hey bear.”

The bear didn’t seem to mind these harsh words too much, though, as he kept advancing and was now only 5 m (15 feet) from the canoe packs.

Kathleen and I have seen a lot of bears during our wilderness experiences. Well, it seems like a lot to us, anyway. I estimate about 200 black bears, 40 grizzly bears, and 5 polar bears. Other than the polar bears, this is the first bear that appeared unafraid and undeterred by our presence.

What to do? I preferred not to turn my back on the bear to walk about 30 m (100 feet) to get my .308 rifle leaning, somewhat inconveniently, up against the canoe on the beach. So we yelled some more. Probably said, “Hey bear,” again, with no visible effect whatsoever.

"Why don't you try your bear banger, Kathleen. Do you have it?"

"Yes. I almost packed it away, but I thought no, we're still in the wilderness. I better keep it with me."

My foresightful adventuring partner reached into her shirt pocket and pulled out the pen-sized launcher on which the explosive was screwed. She fumbled only slightly with the release mechanism and held the banger overhead.

The first small bang when the explosive launched produced no impact on the bear at all, who was now within sniffing distance of our three large packs of gear, clothing, food, (and toilet paper). Seconds later, the loud “bang” overhead caught the bear's attention. He looked over at us, and seemingly for the first time, noticed that we stood in the clearing.

He appeared confused, uncertain about his course of action. He looked at us again and then turned to walk away. After a few steps, he broke into a run and disappeared into the willows and spruce, heading along the shore, west, down the lake. It was good to know that the bear banger does actually work. At least sometimes.

We resumed packing, checking the periphery of our forest clearing with furtive inspections every few seconds. Minutes later, we paddled away onto a lake of glass beneath a warm, blue sky.

You can though I don't My Ostrom Harness is much more comfy than putting a round barrel in a unpadded portage pack. Round against spine is not comfy
I started in Algonquin and the mantra back in the '70s was hang hang.. Bears were a problem ; the can and bottle ban new . There weren't many dehydrated/freeze dried meals around and in that park bears could be a problem. (more on my theory why later). So we hung..
Pretty much for 20 years the parks around the St Lawrence mixed hardwood conifer forest were our haunt and they all had tress to hang from

Then we started further north where .. oh no. no suitable hanging trees.. Enter the barrel.. For two of us a 60 l for two weeks was a fit. Too heavy to hang on anything we did the Jacobson stash method out of camp.
We did have bears in camp twice on canoe trips but they were there for the incredible blueberries.. Easily deterred with pot and pan noise( aka can you please find another berry patch?).. We saw many many swimming and using islands for rest areas.. So we decided not to camp on islands ( which were usually criminally overused anyway)

Meanwhile we visited some National Parks out West car camping. Back then bears were a problem too.. We encountered some on trails and one came to our campground , ripped apart a tent and dismantled a Coleman stove.Not ours.
None of those parks allow bear hunting.. I think when bear hunting is allowed bear associates human with gun.

Now in National Parks I always carry bear spray.
'
I got to wondering if we all were obsessed with hanging as being effective, why not hang at the end of a portage where we might be out of sight for an hour or more as in Algonquin.. We never did hang at portage terminuses.. And solo I have to leave my food barrel.. Some portages are quite long and with age each portage of a fixed length becoming longer.

Most all of my bear encounters have been during the day.. Some kind of scary as when momma popped up out of a stream bed just at the front of my canoe.. She was only about 10 feet away.. Ran away quick.. Cub came up out of the stream bed
Oshit
Cub stops looks at me.. I o.. ss cub ran after momma.. Phew!

We have had bear problems at home when we lived in New Jersey.. Every week during garbage can night one or two bears would come down the street doing the tin can percussion section thing to see what they could have for dinner that night.. That was back around 1975,, It was a fairly common occurrence for bears to break into homes during the summer when everyone just had screen doors.

Bears are still a problem there. Human behavior may have gotten a little better but suburban sprawl has put pressure on the bears food supply and in recent years a couple of black bears have become predatory killing people.

And my car. Bear vs. Car= $9000 damage and mortally wounded but not dead bear.

Now if we want to discuss what bears are attracted to.. Guides use Dunkin Donuts for a reason.. when they are setting out their bait. Bears have a sweet tooth.

I've been using a Seal line pack into which I slid a plastic kitchen size trash can for a waterproof rigid container. I had to trim down the can so I could get enough folds for a good seal. I store flat items, like a light weight grill, cutting board or dishes between the trash can and bag. I also have a rubbermade box that slips into the can and rests on the top of it. Shown in the picture. I put eggs and bread and stuff I don't want squished in it. The pack has straps so you it's ready to carry but I put it in a #4 Duluth along with other stuff. I've have been using this for almost 30 years and love it.

Attachments

• photo10806.jpg
    photo10806.jpg
    295.5 KB · Views: 1
I'm not a big fan of overusing plastic bags.

I am a huge fan of overusing plastic bags. Not bringing them by the dozens, but re-re-re-using them until they become mini-trash bags. The Zip-lock I packed a lunch in becomes the bag the bag I split half a freeze dried meal into becomes the cheese or salami bag becomes a mini trash bag within a trash bag.

I can’t say that I go to great lengths to reduce my trash component. I don’t bring excess packaging, and save a “burn bag” of paper-ish stuff for when I have a fire, but I do make trash*.

I like having some decent canned beer, so there are crushed cans to deal with. I’m a smoker, so there are butts to save; I once field stripped them, but now snub them out and put the stanky butts in a Zip-lock. That disgusting baggie and a pack of Zig-Zags are a source of desperation tobacco if I run out. “It’s Toasted”

https://www.google.com/search?q=luc...kKHeIOAzMQ9QEwBnoECAAQEA#imgrc=9zdG1a04dlVrjM:

*The dichotomy that comes to mind, a multi-week trip with rice and beans eating friend Joel. At the end of 3 weeks his trash fit inside a 2 gallon Zip-lock. Mine took up a leaf and lawn sized trash bag. Neither of us would have had it any other way.

Admittedly I had started with nearly 4 cases of canned IPA, and came out with a single unopened can.

I've been using a Seal line pack into which I slid a plastic kitchen size trash can for a waterproof rigid container.

I like that idea. There are times when supple soft sided canoe packs are ideal for overstuffing, but other times when hardsided protection is the goal. That rigid plastic interior protects both the contents and the exterior rubber skin.

Back