• Happy National Zipper Day (pat. 1913)! 🤐

Let Him Roll

Reaction score
So I borrowed a few GoPros yesterday and attempted a short video.

Har har har. My first. All-in-a-day backyard canoe outing.

Amateurish and unschooled, definitely. Some dead batteries. Millions of miles of useless tape. My story lines tend to be informed from an English Major's literary standpoint: hard to break old habits. I end up following along with the song. But hey.

Forgive and forget.

Then it turns out to be quite a bit of work on both the filming and the edited end. Geez. Fun, though, for sort of capturing a particular moment or mood. Maybe for even arriving at some buried story. Unfortunately, what this means is that I'll probably have to procure some cameras that actually belong to me. dang. And then I suppose there is some super sweet software out there that makes editing a whole lot easier than GoPro's freebee.

At least enjoy Guy Clark. It's only four minutes. (It is in HD, for those who prefer.)

I enjoyed that, cool music and some great paddling talent. Can't believe you got that done since yesterday...nice work. I use "movie maker", not sure if that's any better.
Amateurish and boring it's not, short and entertaining is more like it. Good one, Thanks.

Thanks Robin! That means something coming from you.

Yea. I got home last night and couldn't stop fiddling with the dang thing until around I looked up and it was after midnight. House dark. Wife asleep. Cat scratching at the door. Turns out those little clips take up LOTS of memory and my computer here at the house is weak. Time..... But that was a lot more fun than I anticipated! You sort of get to relive your day seeing what you "caught."

I'll most definitely be in the market for some toys and I'll check out movie maker.

Thanks for the tip.

Thanks Camper. We do have some beautiful country here on the outskirts of the east coast megatropolis. Some great paddling here in Central Virginia. And, I mean, anyone looks good paddling to Guy Clark.

Doesn't take much to get me to listen to Guy Clark. That was way more than enough.

Great work. That editing can really burn up some time. I don't have much experience but when I needed to edit a bunch of video last fall I went on the search for software, which was complicated by needing to run it on a Mac, and finally settled on Wondershare Filmora. It's not free but it's not very expensive either. Some of the software I tried was way too basic and "automatic" which frustrated me when I wanted to do something different than how the software wanted to do it. Others were very complicated and unintuitive for someone without much experience who just wanted to stitch together some basic stuff. Wondershare turned out to be about perfect for me. You can do the basics easily enough but there's a lot of depth as well with just a little digging.

If I remember right you can try it for free but can't save the files without a big watermark.

Alan

That vid was surely good enough for me !!! And Guy Clark just gained another fan ! So I guess I owe you TWO Thanks !!

Have always envied those that can play guitar, and make movies !

Jim

That's awesome Skwid!

It's a lot more work making a good video than one might think haha I have a half dozen half edited attempts from different trips on my computer right now :- )

Like Robin I use (try to use :- )
'Movie Maker', but the gaps between attemps requires retraining and so it goes for me :- )

I do manage to reliably edit clips, search 'JagDaddy Lava Falls' on youtube. I can also snag screenshots.

But my documentary fu completion is weak haha My wife isn't much help, she says 'If your spending more time, fussing over the last trip than planning the next one, your wrong!' she's a hard woman!

Another thing I have considered is taking a 'Movie Maker' course at the local community college, a buddy's daughter took a course at school and does a really good job.

I had high hopes for some vid work on my solo SJ trip, but messing with it was disturbing my 'solo peace' and I didn't get it done. We usually GoPro off our helmets but I don't generally (really never, I know-I know and my wife really bust my chops over it) wear my helmet canoe tripping and I didn't spend any time getting a stick put together to mount my GoPro aft in my canoe.

My hat tips to those that produce good videos :- )

Last edited:
Back