• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

LaVerendrye, Quebec 8 days solo

Hello Robin: I look forward to checking out the video. I didn't realize that my Canadian government hosed the Americans on the prices they charge for the fishing license. That is not very neighbourly.

Take care,
Cousin Pete

Hello Robin: I look forward to checking out the video. I didn't realize that my Canadian government hosed the Americans on the prices they charge for the fishing license. That is not very neighbourly.

Take care,
Cousin Pete

I don't think we mind. Hosed on gasoline too. But you guys have to live with that all year. Its just part of the price of our vacation.

Hello Pete,

The resources (fish, Moose, Bear) are the resources that belong to the people of the jurisdiction in which they are, in this case Quebec. Those not from that jurisdiction and those who don't contribute to the tax base and infrastructure have to pay for those resources. While at first blush it may seem that the non-residents are getting "hosed" the reality is residents are getting discounted access to those resources.

I live in a resort town and see the HUGE influx of non-resident anglers (and hunters to a lesser degree) come into this area and abuse and over use the resources. They all don't but many do. There are some jurisdictions that won't allow access to these resources without local guides. That may seem harsh but these jurisdictions take protecting their resources serious and that mean not making it easy (cheap) access to these resources for those who don't use and rely on these resources on a year round basis.

Perspective is everything.

It isn't just Americans or folks from other countries, also folk from other provinces having to pay the fees above and beyond. Fur instance, I live in Manitoba, but last year when I went into WCPP I had to not only buy the "out of province" fishing licence but also the outdoors card to fish in Ontario. Even on shared "boundary waters" like where I am headed this week, the lake overlaps both provinces but if I wish to fish the Ontario portion I need a licence for both Man and Ont.

I understand the protection of the resources, and I agree with it. I must also say an average canoe camper is not going to effect the fishing in a lake. Boat fisherman and FN netting is. I have been offered pickerel filets from a FN person for cash in LaVerendrye.

For me to legally fish LaVerendrye on a 7 day canoe trip would cost an extra $172.00, for me to fish WCPP, Quetico or Wabakimi (all far better fishing for a canoeist than LaVerendrye imo) on a 7 day trip would cost an extra $61.00.

I have heard from more than one LaVerendrye employee that there just isn't enough canoe campers coming to the Reserve. How many more folks would be going to LaVerendrye if they made it more hospitable for a canoe camper who fishes.
How many more people could they employ opening and clearing trails? Kids getting summer jobs.
Giving canoeist a break on fishing permits would be political suicide so it will never happen.

Come on up my way for a trip next summer Robin. If I loose 40 pounds this winter and grow 6 inches in height, you could probably use my license and get away with it! Anyone seen in a canoe up here is assumed to be me, so you should be safe.

Don't know about losing 40 lbs what with a new bride to cook for you. I gained about 15 lbs the first year I was married.

Canoeists are considered "pork and beaners" by many of the fishermen and camp operators. Sad they gripe about a few canoeists that don't pay to stay at their lodges but have no problem with "foreign" fishermen pillaging all the stocks often overfishing, and taking back more than their limits. I can not see many travelling by canoe abusing the right to fish, but where does the line get drawn for the resource managers. Get caught every summer. Not allot of netting going on but if you are trying feed a village with a rod you are going to have many hungry folks. Let me also say there are many "locals" who abuse the system as well.

It is illegal to sell sport fish as far as I know. Want to keep the cost of your permits down, call the poacher hotline next time this happens.

Thanks for the replies, all very sincerer and welcome, discussion is good.

Old Memaquay sent me maps of a really nice canoe route on his dime a while ago..., offered a shuttle too. I consider him another Canadian friend of which I have a few.

I don't wish to sound like a unappreciative non resident and I am not. I have spent more money solo tripping in Quebec and Ontario than my wife can understand. Sometimes I climb up on a rock lakeside and start spouting off, but in the end I love the open canoe and I love Canada for what she is. A place I will keep coming back too for as long as I can swing a canoe up onto my shoulders, walk a portage trail and share the magic of a northern lake.

Ah yes, Robin, it is a two way street, as I recall you sent me plans for a Chum, which will no doubt see production at some point in the future!

Back