• Happy Launch of Lewis & Clark Expedition (1804)! 🧭🏞🏞️

Large Alice packs?

Reaction score
Does anyone here use them as a canoe pack? I have been looking at getting one as a cheaper alternative to a canoe pack. A good deal or a waste of money?

Thanks

Have you ever used one for backpacking? The reviews I read about them is that they aren't very comfortable. If you are using a frame, then that could pose a problem getting it in and out of a boat. If you use the main compartment and can effectively waterproof your gear, then great.
Are you going to use the smaller pouches? How will you waterproof those items?
How much are you going to spend on it, and have you shopped around for canoe packs? What is the price difference? If you shop around I believe you can get a nice used canoe pack for around the same price as an Alice pack. Ebay is one place to start.
Let us know what you decide and how you make out. I like Brain250s review on the BWCA site and may consider one myself.
Here are some reviews from the BWCA site.
http://www.bwca.com/index.cfm?fuseac...ID=15&confID=1

Last edited:
Years ago I used them for BWCA camping with my sons. I loved the pockets ! But wished they were lighter and more water repellant.
Mine were pretty well used. I also wished they were bigger.
I have one of Cook's Custom Sewing's #4 Duluth packs that did, and still does, serve me well.

On a budget the Alice would be serviceable. CCS packs are pretty spendy, as well as everyone elses.

Jim

I had a spare pack at the end of my Army career. I sold it.

It is way too easy to pack it wrong and get too much weight away from your shoulders, continuously pulling you backwards. I never liked them in service, never used them out in civilian life.

There are a lot of great packs out there. Don't get hooked on this one.

No Title

And now for a dissenting opinion. I happen to like Alice type packs. In fact my personal ruck is a Canadian 64 pattern jump ruck...the twin sister of the Alice. Mine does have a better frame and I find it carries like it is not even there. Good luck finding one though...the paras are snapping up any free ones like hotcakes. Mine is rubberised canvas but I use dry bags inside to be sure. I had one years ago and sold it...it took me 10 years to find another one.

For a time I used an 82 pattern Canadian ruck...I still have it but the frame blows on them and I have the straps on my 64 right now. I did use it one year with a 30 Li barrel strapped to the bottom. I dont think I could manage that now.

Perhaps try an Alice pack with a different frame? I was thinking to mount my 82 on the blue frame you see. Or just sew straps directly to the bag. I have seen that done on the medium ones.

I like em.

Christy

Attachments

• photo2163.jpg
    photo2163.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo2164.jpg
    photo2164.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo2165.jpg
    photo2165.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 0
  • photo2166.jpg
    photo2166.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo2167.jpg
    photo2167.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo2168.jpg
    photo2168.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo2169.jpg
    photo2169.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 0
Christy that looks more like a Medium Alice, not a large.
largeolivegreenalicepack.jpg

Comparatively speaking yes, I believe mine is closer to a medium Alice. That is plenty big for me. The prices on surplus Alice packs have been rising steadily since everyone went to the new Molle systems. I have seen what the guys at work are using now and I am not particularly impressed.The empty packs are waaaay too heavy before you even put stuff in them, and there is not enough room in the main bag...they hang extra pouches off the sides. Really hokey.

There are some older French and Swiss military packs on the market here that look ok but a lot of that stuff is drying up. I may have to get one built. Can you get pink camo cordura?

When I first started backpacking in 1960, there were Trapper Nelsons and Alice A-Frame packs. The Alice has a steel A that can be easily removed. It would then fit fine in a canoe with a liner in it.

THATS what I'm talking about. The Remington one is nice and subdued but needs brighter accents. I have to go fabric shopping.

Those are definitely not what I would want to wake up to every morning, much like a bright yellow canoe, but I would put up with it if she would stop bringing her Alice pack.

The large ALICE pack only works with the frame. The medium can be used with or without the frame. I made an extended frame by welding two ALICE frames together. It fits me much better than the standard frame and allows me to use a newer suspension system with load lifters. It's a lot more comfortable for me than the standard system. Since I was modifying, I put straps on the frame that allow me to pack a 65L dry bag or whatever else I choose. The frame is adaptable to wanigans, olive barrels or whatever. I'm kind of surprised that more people don't use external pack frames, since they can be made to carry just about anything. The frame and suspension is a bit heavy, but for short distances it works well. I used an ALICE frame and medium ruck to haul a bunch of glacier cobbles out of an excavation for landscaping. I put as many rocks in the pack as it would hold and packed them out to the truck. It was a short distance, but a heavy load and the frame worked fine.

i use a medium alice for backcountry skiing -- it's very durable and mostly adequate. it's easy to pack it with way too much weight way too far from the body. the frame is okay for heavier loads, but again, for BC skiing, it moves everything too far out, and likes to come-around. the suspension is mildly modded, i've lowered the hip-belt anchor points and added fastex to the hip belt and the two main comparment straps. for the money it's pretty unbeatable for rugged use. There are some great technical packs out there, but they're over $100, and generally are made to be light-weight...too light-weight for my style...

While i'm a huge advocate of frames for heavy humping, serious backpacking, and odd-shapes, i prefer a larger commercial freighter-type frames, with more sophisticated, and comfortable suspension, which i have, so i'm getting little use from the alice frame...might be different if i was using it for backpacking...or didn't have something heftier and more comfortable...

for canoe tripping, i prefer larger single-pocket packs...with a small possibles-type bag that i clip on the front for, well, possibles...
i find the external pockets detrimental, catch everything at the wrong time...

Well you guys were right. I got a large Alice, loaded it for a trip, and loaded it back into the box with a return label. Uncomfortable junk imo. The frame puts the load too far from my back and the space is hard to utilize.

Alex

Back