• Happy Peace Officers Memorial Day! 👮🏽‍♂️👮‍♀️

Lake Superior Provincial Park

Reaction score
I have an unplanned week off and am thinking of driving up to Lake Superior Provincial Park for a 3-4 day canoe trip. Looks like there could be some fun poking around Gamitagama/Old Woman Lake area....anyone have any first hand advice for this area?

Never been to Lake Superior Provincial Park but have been to Pukaskwa just to the north. I can assume that some of the Lake Superior paddling conditions are similar so:

-prepare for cold water, like really cold water. Even if you don't end up in the water, the cold will creep up through the boat so I suggest bringing a foam pad to lay down in the boat for your feet or knees. Consider bringing a wet suit for safety, dumping your boat could be lethal.
-expect that you could encounter thick fog. It seems like the warmer and the sunnier, the thicker the fog....the lake is cold and the air is warm so its kinda like taking a beer out of the fridge and having condensation form. Blue bird skies with low thick fog is not uncommon. The fog can roll in very quickly and disappear just as quick. Can make navigation by map very hard because visibility becomes limited to a couple hundred feet.
-paddling early mornings when there is generally less wind and fog

Otherwise paddling Lake Superior is super fun and very beautiful. It really took me by surprise, its size, natural and human history made me feel very small in both time and space. The lake has a certain power when you paddle it. I found it kinda humbling.

Thanks, folks. APPaul....won't be on Superior itself, but rather smaller lakes to the east. I'd have to do a lot more prep work for that big water! Odyssey....yep...looking at those maps. Seems doable. I'm itching for a trip as my last big trip was a 12 day in upper Quetico....135 miles, lots of portages, including the longest I've done...2 miles....into Cache Lake. Will keep folks posted! Thanks for chiming in.

Never done the lakes but did a wee day hike onNokomis.
Done the park on Superior in a pack canoe
Gargantua to Warp bay is only exposed for a short time and quite doable if you have 2 days extra. Exquisite beaches and rock formations

I'm no help either with interior questions, but I can say the hike along the lakeshore is beautiful. Got engaged to my wife up by the Devils Chair, so LSPP is a special place for me.

OK...back from our exploration of Lake Superior PP. This was a trip with my 15 yr old son (he did a BWCA trip last summer)...we ended up putzing around the area. Spent 2 very nice days/nights on Lake Mijemungshing. Pretty much covered the entire lake in those two days just paddling/poking around. We could have extended the stay by going into some adjacent lakes, but really wanted to get out to Superior for a day or two. Campsites were nice (all sites have table/thunder box), but they were not Quetico sites.....instead, mostly small and many we inspected did not have a very good tent site . We did find a nice north facing site and afforded us some very heavy winds and incredible stars! Sounds like fall is the best time to engage the Sand River system up there....that would open up many more possibilities. We did day paddle Old Woman Bay and Gargantua Bay....both were exquisite (meaning calm, sunny, 60 degrees.....perfect weather for our open canoe (a Swift Winisk borrowed from a friend). I'd like to do a longer trip down the coast...say Michicopicotin to Agawa....about 55 miles and spectacular landscape! Out for a total of 5 days, plus a side trip to Niagara for my son....whew, what a transition from LSPP to Niagara Falls!!!! Anyhow, glad to get out, even if for only a week. 2,150 miles of driving and worth every inch of it!

Awesome trip Chris. I've always wanted (nervously) to day paddle on Superior. A couple days up or down the coast would be spectacular indeed! Those interior routes will stay in my map folder waiting, waiting, waiting...

Back