• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

lake homes overkill

Reaction score
I paddled an area that I hadnt been to in years. Its near St. Cloud, MN. It was kinda like a mini-BWCA. A chain of lakes area. But now, the entire region is all houses. The DNR landing is basically the only spot there isnt a house.

A DNR official was telling me I shouldnt wash my canoe with soap because the residue could get into lake water. They're worried about biodegradable soap? Yet all these lake homes built where woods & wet lands once were. And these owners spray their yard with weed killer and fertilizer. Do they care that this junk washes right into the lake?

Pretty sad I think when you always hear about Save The Wetlands and then they let developers build on every square foot around a lake.

Even biodegradable soap contains nutrients, and excess nutrients promote eutrophication. If the water stains your boat badly enough that you need soap, it must be pretty scummy. I've found that a wet sponge works in all but the dirtiest water.
If you're serious about what the landowners are putting into the water, check to see if permits are required. You may find they're under the same restrictions as you. Let's hope so.

You're sure they use fertilizer and weed killer? I am not from your area but my house is subject to shore land zoning. Lawns are prohibited within 100 feet of shore by zoning and peer pressure significantly discourages any lawn at all. If the situation is bad in your area seems formation of a watershed association is on order. Our area prizes the lake for its incredible fishing and water clarity is a positive force to maintain property values. Who wants to buy a home on a scummy pond?

Back