• Happy National American Red Cross Founder's Day (1881)! 🇨🇭🚑🏥

Kananaskis

Reaction score
Day trip in Kananaskis Country

While visiting family in western Alberta I managed to tick a bucket list box, when my son-in-law and I threw the boats on his car and headed west out of Calgary. Kananaskis Country is located on the eastern slopes of the Canadian Rockies, and comprises of rolling foothills with meadows, pine/aspen forests and sandstone bluffs in the east, and craggy limestone peaks, glaciers, waterfalls and blue green lakes in the west.
On this day it was the front-country flat- water jewels fed by high mountain snowfields and streams I wanted to see up close.
We put in to Spray L, south of Canmore. This lake is long and cold. High winds confined us to the small northern arm. P9111455.jpg
P9111467.JPG
P9111482.jpg

P9111503.JPG

We then headed down the road to the Kananaskis lakes, but not before stopping for more scenery. P9111543.JPG
P9111554.JPG

Lower Kananaskis L was calmer, but because of the long fetch was still prone to high winds and choppy waters.

P9111585.JPG P9111591.JPG
P9111580.JPG

We stayed on shore rather than fight strong wind and waves on Upper Kananaskis L. P9111610.jpg

On our way out we came across this resident browsing beside the road. P9111613.JPG

The sun dipped below the tall peaks, shrouding the deep valleys in shadow. Loading up and taking the long way home gave us more time to gaze at the scenery, and make plans for our next trip to Kananaskis Country. P9111635.JPG
P9111648.jpg
P9111659.jpg

Attachments

• P9111585.JPG
    P9111585.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Wow if it was further east I'd have to put it on my bucket list

Thanks for sharing

K country...awesome. I spent 18 years in Calgary and this was one of my playgrounds. I tended to going further south along 22X to Chain Lakes or the Highwood Pass area too. Right up to the continental divide. Now I am jealous...lol. Brings back great memories Brad. I am super glad you got a chance to experience it all.

This is bucket list country no matter where you live.

Christy

beautiful shots -- drove out this way last november, but it was a blizzard and everything from calgary to banff was snow -- except the elk crossing the road! i remember camping in kananaskis back at CJ81

Back