• Happy Incorporation of Hudson's Bay Co. (1670) 🍁🦫🪓

Just Finished My Transport/Storage Rack for the New Canoe

Reaction score
While driving the several hours back home with my new canoe lashed to the roof of my truck with four of the small foam wedge things and straps running through the cab, it rained heavily several times. While traveling at freeway speed, no problem. But after I got in traffic and slowed down, rain was running along the straps into the truck cab and wetting out the headliner. I also wasn't real happy with the security of that set up so I decided to build my own rack.

I wanted something that would do double-duty as a storage rack in the garage when removed from the truck. It also had to positively "lock" the canoe in place and I wanted it to be as aerodynamic as possible. The result is mostly (and obviously) 2-by lumber ripped to custom widths plus some douglas fir with a bit of exterior plywood stiffening panels. I used a super tough 1/2" closed cell floor foam for padding. I don't know how much it weighs, but it's easier to lift than the 35 pound canoe and it is rock solid at over 50 mph. (Almost certainly rock solid at way over 50, I just haven't gone that fast with it yet. :cool:). I am pleased with the results. It's quick and easy to load and secure and locks the boat exactly in what I think is an optimal position.

Jim

Attachments

• photo7718.jpg
    photo7718.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo7719.jpg
    photo7719.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 0
  • photo7720.jpg
    photo7720.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo7721.jpg
    photo7721.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 0
That works! I don't understand how or why water snuck past the doors' weather stripping, but still, your new set-up beats interior straps at forehead height, the ratchet looking sharp and threatening in your peripheral vision, and foamy spongy slippy pads not staying put on the roof. Been there and got really tired of wearing that t-shirt.
Another thing particularly fetching about this arrangement, and I mean this sincerely NOT snarly, if you ever need to re-arrange the whole thing it's only lumber. It's not like you spilled several big paper bills on custom made to order aircraft aluminum space age components. An afternoon of reinventing a solution to your canoe conundrum. A pot of coffee and some power tools in a shady driveway kinda thing.
Very cool rack Jim. (I like the locked in idea!)

Straps or ropes coming in through the windows while transporting a canoe is a problem when it's raining out. Just follows the path of the strap and the next thing ya know water in the car. Path of least resistance so to speak as it's following the straps/rope running through the car. It doesn't care about weather stripping cause it by passing that. Nothing like a humid day after a rain storm to have the whole inside of the car wet!

No Title

made a similar contraption with PVC some years ago. Worked great and never had to worry about anyone stealing it while I was out catchin' and killin' stuff in the canoe.

Sold the truck and now its a yard rack...

Attachments

• photo7724.jpg
    photo7724.jpg
    423.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo7725.jpg
    photo7725.jpg
    444.3 KB · Views: 0
Nice work on your rack system. I did something similar for my old Toyota Tacoma. The nice thing is the Tacoma's bed size hasn't changed so I'm using the same rack now in it's 3rd truck. Easy enough to put in/take out on my own and as you've pointed out, it makes a nice storage rack when not in the truck. Great job!

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Back