• Happy National Zipper Day (pat. 1913)! 🤐

ISO: lightweight solo and tandem

Not a decent price for a thirty year old boat.
Looks like a Shockwave. Very straight keeled.
Definitely a hit and switch canoe and needs some outside edge to carve a turn.

I get them mixed up

The Shockwave was the one with the hourglass stern.

Shockwave:
16 feet 8 inches long
22 inch wide at the gunwales
28 inch waterline

The Shockwave was, IIRC, an early Yost design. I never really understood the function of that hourglass stern stem, possibly/purportedly designed so that it could climb it own wake at racing speed.

The Summersong was:
15 feet 4 inches long
Also 22 inches at the gunwales
But only 26.5 at the waterline.

then it was the Summersong that Tom Mackenzie had to run a buoy course to pass his USCA instructor cert, He had to post that thing rail to the water to round the buoys. I had to videotape it without gasping,

I did paddle it. Gingerly and in warm water.

I remember the portage back to the car. That thing weighed 57 lbs and the car was 300 feet away and 40 feet up.

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay. We were on vacation at our cabin for the last 9 days.
I've been canoeing and kayaking for quite a few years now and never went for a swim....until a few days ago. There is a stream in front of our cabin we always paddle around and fish. I was in my Shenandoah solo fishing. Caught a pickeral and was sitting kinda sideways in the seat. Leaned a little to far back and kept going. I've been meaning to do it at home in our pool to see what it would be like but never did.
the hard part was wading through muck over my knees to get to dryer land so I could pull the canoe up on shore and empty the water. Fun times hahaha

anywho thanks again for the info and links.
After more reading and research I'm leaning towards a Hornbeck 14' Nomad New Trick for a solo. I doubt I will come across one used...

Thanks for all the info and advice.

I definitely want a dedicated solo and a tandem.
The purpose of my trip to the canoe shop last weekend was to look for a solo. My wife was along and felt the weight of the tandem wenonah's and northstar's and said we need a lighter tandem. We are heading to the Adirondacks in August for 8 days and she remembers carrying one our royalex tandems we took a couple years ago. This trip two of our kids are going so we were planning on taking two of our Mad River Explorers (both royalex). Our youngest is 10 and my wife was thinking if we got the Northwind 18 (18'9") we could take most the gear and her. Our 15 year old boy wants to take his kayak or my solo canoe (also royalex). I'm hesitant because I'm thinking of other future trips. When it's just the two of us do we want a almost 19 foot canoe? Yeah its light but it's a big boat! I think we would be better off with a 16' wenonah or something similar.

Yellow canoe said a lot of things I was already thinking....I'm getting older so lighter is definitely better, and if it's a choir/hassle to use it won't get much use.

Tracker my wife and I did 11 days in Woodland Caribou Park last summer. Our tandem was the Northstar Polaris in black gold. With the two of us and a hundred pounds of gear it was perfect. just a tad under 17' and weighs 41 pounds. Hauled the two of us with three packs just fine. Had 12 portages during the trip and I carried the canoe solo. We were very pleased with the canoes performance.

Back