• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Introducing myself and a new canoe shop - White Rose Canoe.

Reaction score
Hi Folks - I'm exciting to be joining this forum - a customer pointed me to it and it's going to be a great place to learn and hopefully, occasionally contribute.

I got back into canoeing after about 25 years of sea kayaking on the coast of New England that included helping a couple of paddling groups get going and a short stint of running a Greenland paddling instruction business. After my second retirement I went to work as part time help in a small paddling shop (kayak, canoes, SUPs, etc) in Newbury MA - best job I've had. Shortly after starting I got back into a canoe as a way to get my wife out on the water with me, and fell in love with single paddles and open boats (I was already in love with my wife). Haven't looked back since. My paddling experience is mostly small rivers and lakes, flatwater and solo (my wife decided she'd rather have her own boat, a kayak, oh well). I've had the opportunity to meet a bunch of great folks, attend events like the Maine Canoe Symposium and learn a lot. Looking forward to learning more.

Enough of that - the really exciting news is that the owner of the shop (it's small - there's the owner and there's the staff (me)) decided that we could add more value to the community by narrowing the focus of the business to just canoes and canoeists. So earlier this month (October 7) the shop reopened its doors as White Rose Canoe. I've put the quick description and a photo below. So far folks seem to like the idea of a canoe specific shop, including the person who pointed me to this forum. I'm not planning on this being a commercial, but I did want to let y'all know the resource is there.

Anyway - I'm looking forward to listening a lot, and contributing when I can add value. See you around the Forum.

Keith

White Rose Canoe​

https://whiterosecanoe.com
White Rose Canoe, located in Newbury MA, is a specialty paddling shop uniquely devoted to all things canoe. A resource for canoeists across the Northeast, we focus on folks new to the sport, families with kids, and supporting hard-core expedition types. White Rose Canoe offers a high level of customer service, an extensive demo fleet, a waterfront location and Wenonah, Nova Craft, Merrimack, Esquif and Grumman canoes. We focus on giving back by supporting organizations like the Northern Forest Canoe Trail, Maine Canoe Symposium, Ipswich River Watershed Association and others.

IMG_2436 (1).jpeg

Welcome, While the kayak culture has a strong grip on the paddling world, a canoe only shop is unique, like this website, Best of luck, I for one will promote your endeavor whenever possible.

That's great. Welcome aboard!

Did you know the guy that likely built that Merrimack canoe is a member here? @BWCA66

Alan

Welcome to site membership, Keith.

We look forward to whatever contributions you wish to make to our many canoe and related forums. While this site has never accepted ads or commercial postings, we do like to support canoe vendors and shops such as yours. You may discuss and even recommend products you sell if directly asked or if the subject arises naturally within a thread topic, but please avoid outright commercial promotion.

I began in open canoes for many decades, took a detour for eight years in sea kayaks and five years in a Hawaiian outrigger canoe, and then returned back to open canoes exclusively for the past 12 years -- most recently, an Aramid Lite Nova Craft Bob Special.

There’s nothing like a canoe only shop. Used to hang out at one in Ann Arbor MI and it was a haven/heaven for meeting and talking with single bladers. Loved it, miss it….best of luck! As they say, get/make a job doing something you love and you’ll never work a day in your life.

Thanks for the warm welcome from all - greatly appreciated.

I'll follow the guidelines laid out by Glenn- feel free to let me know if I start wandering to close to the line.

@Glenn MacGrady : Just one quick question - we're planning on doing a winter "speaker series" and we'll be doing other activities to support various groups, etc. (no charge). Are those okay to post in the events forum? Is it okay to also include a "demo day" at the shop?

Again - thanks - I'm going to learn a lot from y'all.

Keith

Glenn MacGrady : Just one quick question - we're planning on doing a winter "speaker series" and we'll be doing other activities to support various groups, etc. (no charge). Are those okay to post in the events forum? Is it okay to also include a "demo day" at the shop?
Yes, these would be appropriate subjects for the Events Forum, which is specified to be more inclusive than just strictly canoeing events, because canoeists engage in many outdoor activities in connection with canoeing. ("Post your canoeing, camping, bushcraft, or outdoor-related event/symposium here.") Either the sponsor of the event or anyone who becomes aware can post notice of the event in the Events Forum.

Welcome and best of luck Keith! I think you will find a wealth of interested persons on this forum that will undoubtedly support your unique "canoe only" venture! I look forward to visiting the shop at some point and wish you the best of luck and success. Just did a google map distance check and your shop is only 1hr 21min from my home. Could be a fun day trip..

Welcome to the forum, it's true that I was building Merrimacks but now just deliver them. Looks like we will be meeting face to face in a couple of weeks as I'll be heading your way with a delivery.

Yes, these would be appropriate subjects for the Events Forum, which is specified to be more inclusive than just strictly canoeing events, because canoeists engage in many outdoor activities in connection with canoeing. ("Post your canoeing, camping, bushcraft, or outdoor-related event/symposium here.") Either the sponsor of the event or anyone who becomes aware can post notice of the event in the Events Forum.
Thanks - we'll be taking advantage of this shortly.

Welcome and best of luck Keith! I think you will find a wealth of interested persons on this forum that will undoubtedly support your unique "canoe only" venture! I look forward to visiting the shop at some point and wish you the best of luck and success. Just did a google map distance check and your shop is only 1hr 21min from my home. Could be a fun day trip..
Looking forward to meeting you. We just shifted hours - we're now open Fridays 12-6, Saturdays 10-4, Sundays 12-4, Monday 12-6.

Welcome to the forum, it's true that I was building Merrimacks but now just deliver them. Looks like we will be meeting face to face in a couple of weeks as I'll be heading your way with a delivery.
Great - looking forward to meeting you and getting smarter on the Merrimacks - they're beautiful.

Canoeists are a small fraternity that continues to get smaller.
Guys like you can keep it alive.

I traded a good worn out saddle for a Merrimack once. It was older and the dry climate here caused some of the ribs to crack. I sold it, but already had a w/c OT. My brother has paddled one for decades. Nice boats.

Last edited:
Back