• Happy International Museum Day!🏛️ 🖼️🏺

Infusing a carbon seat

Alan Gage

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to infuse my gunwales and since I hadn't done any infusing in a year or so I decided to warm up on a seat last night. Thought you might like to follow along.

Infusing is similar to vacuum bagging except that the bag is sealed up and the vacuum pulled with everything dry. Once you've got the bag sealed up and have achieved good vacuum you then suck the resin into the bag. I think it's a way better deal since not only do you not have to worry about the epoxy setting up while you're struggling to seal a bag but you're also not dealing with resin getting smeared all over everything in the process. You do need a very thin resin though so I've been using vinylester instead of epoxy. Another benefit to infusion is the lack of stink from the vinylester since it's sucked into a sealed bag with no open layup.

First put a ring of tacky tape around the edge of the mold flange and coat it with PVA. This hopefully keeps the part from sticking to the mold. The tacky tape needs to go down first or else it will just peel the PVA off:
20161117_001 by Alan, on Flickr

Lay out the cloth. Two layers of 20oz. carbon seems to be about right.
20161117_002 by Alan, on Flickr

Then peel ply. This keeps the seat from sticking to the layers yet to come:
20161117_003 by Alan, on Flickr

As you can imagine it's hard for a liquid to flow through a plastic bag that's smushed flat by a vacuum pump. So on top of the peel ply you put the flow media. This is a semi-thin piece of "woven" plastic that lets the resin flow through the sandwich:
20161117_004 by Alan, on Flickr

20161117_005 by Alan, on Flickr

Now spiral tubing with a vacuum tee. One side connects to the vacuum pump and the other to the resin cup:
20161117_006 by Alan, on Flickr

20161117_007 by Alan, on Flickr

If I can remember I put tacky tape around the fitting before the final bag goes over the top:
20161117_008 by Alan, on Flickr

I stop the flow media short of the vacuum side and put a piece of peel ply down to bridge the gap. This still lets the resin flow but slows it down considerably once it leaves the flow media and hits the peel ply. Some of the resin will short circuit around the edges of the seat (where there's no cloth) and will reach the vacuum side before the entire seat has been wetted out. This speed bump keeps the resin from getting sucked out of the bag too soon.
20161117_009 by Alan, on Flickr

Now the final bag goes over the top to seal up the whole works. Make a slit for the fittings to poke through:
20161117_010 by Alan, on Flickr

More tacky tape to seal:
20161117_011 by Alan, on Flickr

All sealed up and ready to suck down:
20161117_012 by Alan, on Flickr

The vacuum line goes to a resin trap before attaching to the vacuum pump. This keeps any resin that gets sucked out of the bag from ruining the pump. Resin traps are expensive to buy. I used 3" pvc pipe with both ends capped off. In the top I drilled two holes and epoxied (thickened) a pair of vacuum fittings in place.
20161117_013 by Alan, on Flickr

Vacuum gauge, shut off valve, and vacuum pump:
20161117_014 by Alan, on Flickr

The resin inlet line is blocked off and vacuum has been applied. Check for leaks and make sure everything is staying in place. There's always leaks to track down and seal.
20161117_015 by Alan, on Flickr

Oh boy, here we go:

After the video stops the resin continued to slowly creep across the seat. At about 90% saturated I started to worry the resin would start to gel before it fully wetted out the seat, if it ever did, so I mixed up another ounce and sucked it in. This is generally a no-no because you don't want to introduce air, which happens because the inlet tube is empty. But it didn't seem to do any harm and the seat fully wetted out. You can see the sharpie outlines where I was tracing the resin front and marking the time to check its progress. At that point it was taking two minutes between lines. Then I added the extra ounce and it took no time at all.
20161117_017 by Alan, on Flickr

Pulled the seat out when I got home from work tonight. Just need to trim off the extra and sand the edges:
20161118_001 by Alan, on Flickr

Alan

Nice work. Looks like you could use a little more practice. Want to make one for my canoe😀?

Great tutorial Alan !

Oh ! A ton of questions, but I'll start with a few. I'm guessing the fittings, tubing and all is thrown away when done ?

​ Do you smell the vinylester , now that you removed the seat from the mold ? I remember smelling vinylester when Bell had his new boats up to Midwest Mtns Spring event, years ago.

Will the vinylester bond to the epoxy on the hull ?

​ Infusing the gunnels, 15' long, guessing you'll need several ports

Seat looks great !!

Jim

So was 2 20oz layers enough?

Yes. I've built a half dozen or so of these seats and that seems to be the magic number. They come in around 6 ounces.

Want to make one for my canoe😀?

Actually, I would be willing to. Send me a PM sometime if you're interested.

I'm guessing the fittings, tubing and all is thrown away when done ?

That is correct. The resin tube is short and if you get the resin amount just right the vacuum tube doesn't suck up much, if any, so that's not ruined. I don't like the amount of waste that goes along with vacuum bagging and infusion but it sure it nice for little projects like this seat.

​ Do you smell the vinylester , now that you removed the seat from the mold ?

No, not really. If I stick my nose up to the seat I can smell it a bit. Once it was infused I shut off the vacuum pump and just let it sit under vacuum while it cured. This keeps the vacuum pump from sucking the stink out of the bag and smelling up the shop.

Will the vinylester bond to the epoxy on the hull ?

That's the million dollar question, isn't it? Everything I've ever read says vinylester over epoxy is a no-no; that it won't fully cure. I always thought that seemed odd as I figured epoxy was pretty inert once cured. So the other night I started digging around and found an article from West Systems basically saying that if the epoxy is fully cured and blush free that vinylester can be used over the top as long as the surface has been scuffed for a mechanical bond. So that's what I did and I'm hoping that they're right and that my epoxy is fully cured.

Infusing the gunnels, 15' long, guessing you'll need several ports

Hoping for just one. That spiral tubing is supposed to let the epoxy travel unhindered the full length before it starts seeping into the cloth. You can see how quickly that happens at the beginning of the video I posted. If I remember right they generally only use one line when infusing a canoe hull.

Alan

really good info Alan, thank you for taking the time!! Ho and I had good results with vinyl ester over epoxy on some repair jobs I did...

The other night I trimmed the seat in the bandsaw and finished the edge with sandpaper. Ready to go at 6 ounces:

20161127_001 by Alan, on Flickr

Alan

Back