• Happy National Zipper Day (pat. 1913)! 🤐

Improved kevlar felt skid plates?

G

Blackfly’s skid plate issues have me thinking about a skid plate experiment.

I have installed a lot of skid plates using kevlar felt, some kits, some DIY. I still kinda regret each and every one, but I got better at it.

Fairing down the felt-to-hull transition with a tongue depressor as the epoxy was setting up. That worked very well to reduce any gurgling, and helped prevent any water or grit infiltration along the edges, keeping the felt better adhered.

Smoothing out the cured epoxy 40 grit felt surface, although the old-school plastic wrap technique often left creases and wrinkles.

Tinting the epoxy before saturating the kev felt. We have RX canoes with kevlar skid plates tinted red and they are at least less contrasting than untinted kevlar felt. Not a very deep or matching red, but I was unpracticed with pigments at the time, and the yellow felt cloth doesn’t help.

I have not used kevlar felt for skid plates in a long time, and I have at least a yard left. And I’ve learned a lot about cloth and resin and peel ply since then, and have an experiment in mind.

I’m going to try kevlar felt again. With graphite powder and black pigment in the epoxy mix (West 105/206 and G/flex), and peel ply over the felt, hand compressed to smooth out the surface.

Maybe on the next junker/loaner refurbishment; I don’t ever again want kevlar skid plates on any canoe we use.

Anyone done an “improved” kevlar felt skid plate?

I have a Bell Yellowstone Solo in royalex that I bought with the typical kevlar felt skid plates installed and never really liked them. I ended up installing an "improved" version of skid plates on a used Prism I bought because a few layers of skin in the ends were worn through by a previous owner.

I trimmed the felt to a short narrow strip that just covered the worn area. After masking the hull and I wet out the kevlar felt on a piece of cardboard to better control the mess and amount of resin. I applied narrow strips of peel ply peel ply (~1.5" wide) going crossways and smoothed it all down by hand (the squeegee did work that well). I then put long strips of overlapping masking tape applied with with some tension going crosswise to get a bit of compresion on the felt, reducing the overall height and roughness.

Personally I would prefer to avoid skid plates but If you do feel a need to add them would recommend making them smaller and using peel ply to get a better surface finish.

Attachments

• skid_plate_side.jpg
    skid_plate_side.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 3
  • skid_plate_front.jpg
    skid_plate_front.jpg
    549.7 KB · Views: 3
Have you used Peel Ply in this application before?
It ought to produce less gurgly results

I have not. The last kevlar skid plate I regrettably installed pre-dates my discovery of Dynel, and of peel ply. I was never thrilled with the plastic wrap smoothing results, but I now know how well release treated peel ply works

Other things I know:

Dynel will swell like an old sweatshirt when resin saturated, close to kevlar felt thickness, but simple hand compression under peel ply eliminates that.

Dynel saturated epoxy will leave an 80 grit rough surface if not covered by peel ply. With peel ply it is baby butt smooth.

Adding graphite powder and a dab of black pigment will produce the blackest of black color-saturated skid plates. At least with Dynel; I do not know about kevlar felt, but I plan to find out.

I likewise do not know how kevlar felt fares when compressed. Maybe not well; the worst condition kevlar skid plates I have seen were those installed oversaturated resin-rich, where someone opted to use every ounce of the pricey resin they purchased in a pricey kit.

The resin in one kevlar felt purchased kit was half again as much as actually needed, and with felt cut to cover scrapes-and-scratches I could get four smaller skid plates out of one kit’s resin. That also pre-dates having a preferred DIY resin mix, so I was determined to use up every drop of precious epoxy in the kit.

The last of the kevlar felt skid plates I installed where resin saturated just enough, not globbed on thick, and that seems to have helped with wear and longevity, some of those have, after some years, worn quite smooth, at least in the constant keel line scrape areas. Not any lighter, just smoother.

My rudimentary materials understanding is that kevlar felt is more impact resistant (?), and Dynel more abrasion resistant. The single layer Dynel skid plates on some of our river canoes have taken pretty harsh rock impacts and fared fine, but I also try to avoid smashing into rocks.

Layering Dynel for abrasion resistance, with bias cut S-glass or carbon or IXP/XYZ/ETC material for impact, might be the best of both worlds in a 2-layer skid plate sandwich. Where is CEW with the real world material scoop when we need him?

Improved !

100 % Polyester Sweat Shirt material !

Works great ! Adds plenty of thickness to serve as a wear pad, It's easier to machine than Kevlar, comes in a variety of colors.

And Yes, a place for Peel Ply ! Cut it into strips, as PP doesn't like curves ! Also consider Saran Wrap ! It does conform !

IMG_0941_zpsuomvdl9a.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0941_zpsuomvdl9a.jpg Views:	2 Size:	130.9 KB ID:	90433

Personally I would prefer to avoid skid plates but If you do feel a need to add them would recommend making them smaller and using peel ply to get a better surface finish.

Second that. Installed where shown needed by visible scratches and scrapes. Plus an inch or so all around, just to be one the safe side.

Some of our boats, our vee stemmed decked canoes especially, showed stem wear on a long thin area. For simplicities sake I installed long thin bias weave S glass tape (some seriously thick, heavy weight German made stuff from Sweets) instead of cutting a 3 foot long x 2 inch wide piece of Dynel.

Sweets doesn’t seem to have that Uber-heavy German bias tape anymore, but does have 1 ½ inch glass tape in 18oz and 15oz weights, as well as kevlar/Twaron bias tapes. Bottom of page:

http://sweetcomposites.com/Seamtape.html

That thick bias glass tape, saturated with West 105/206 and G/flex, has proven plenty tough. It is not as abrasion resistant as Dynel, but it was a lot easier to cut and install at 3 feet long with clean edges, and the selvage sewn edge vanished flat under hand peel ply compression.

And Yes, a place for Peel Ply ! Cut it into strips, as PP doesn't like curves ! Also consider Saran Wrap ! It does conform !

A good reason to save the leftover strips of peel ply.

I never had much luck with Saran Wrap. heck, I have a hard time using it in the kitchen. I did an experiment 4 or 5 years ago using different plastic wraps, wax paper and peel ply to smooth out both kevlar felt and selvage edged glass tape.

Reprised here (long). I have no idea if the old Photobucket links will work; I left them in just in case.

The experiment

The best test bed I could find was a scrap piece of vinyl siding, which will stand in nicely for the vinyl skin of an RX canoe. I wish it was something with more complex curves to test the “stretchability” of the plastic wraps, but it’ll do. More on stretchability later.

I’m mostly curious to see which if any of the top films end up adhered to the epoxy, to see how the films flatten the would-be razor sharp seams that stand tall on fiberglass tape and how each smoothes out kevlar felt (which, I know, is a crap material, but it’s still what is included in most skid plate kits).

I’ve got bags of scrap glass tape and kevlar felt. Now I know why I kept it, and any other potentially usable piece of scrap material. It’s not that I’m cheap, it’s that I’m, um, experimental, or some subset of syllables therein.

I do have a couple of harder-to-come by films on hand; peel ply and a roll of mystery labeled “Porous Release Film” made (I think) for vacuum bagging. I’m going to omit some other “films” that have good reputation but limited availability - lexan film, Xerox transparencies sheets and etc

The films:
Saran Cling Plus
Glad Press & Seal
Glad Cling Wrap
Reynolds Wax Paper
Porous release film
Peel ply

The vinyl siding bed has been scrubbed clean, dried and alcohol wiped. Time to cut some fabric and film, and mix some epoxy.

The Test: I painted a coat of epoxy (West System 105/206) on the vinyl siding, laid down pieces of kevlar felt and selvage edge glass and filled the cloth with an additional topcoat of epoxy resin in each test bed. I laid on the test films, smoothed each out with a gloved hand to eliminate what wrinkles I could and then rolled each film, pressing down with a short nap roller.

I weighed the “patches” down with Zip-lock sandbags, but removed them from the peel ply and (visibly perforated) porous release film while the epoxy was still green.

I could immediately confirm that I do not like working with stretchable plastic wrap. I can barely get kitchen leftover containers covered without ending up like a transparent and frustrated mummy, much less achieve a smooth and wrinkle-free film atop epoxy and cloth.

If there’s a trick to using stretch wraps atop epoxy and cloth it needs more than two hands.

I removed the sandbags atop the peel ply and porous film after 4 hours, which was almost too long with the porous film. It was starting to get stuck and just barely came off without tearing open the Zip-locks and dispensing sand on the test bed. Duh, it’s “porous”. I live in trepidation of gluing a sand bag weight to the hull.

Results:

I left the various films on for 12 hours before pulling them.

All of the test films knocked down the selvage edge of the tape and smoothed out the kevlar felt. The glass was barely visible and the loose end strands disappeared completely, with no stray frays poking up like composite lancets, and the cut sides of the kevlar felt was beveled smooth along the edges and not standing abrupt. So far so good.

Saran Cling Plus – It released cleanly except for one small shard of Saran that was trapped in a wrinkle. The resin was hardened, but there were sharp wrinkles and crinkles that would necessitate a lot of sanding.

Glad Cling Wrap – Identical to the Saran Wrap in every way.

Glad Press and Seal – Far smoother with less wrinkles and crinkles than the previous two, but the resin still felt tacky. It either needed more cure time or that tackiness was sticky residue from the Press and Seal. I set the test panel out in the sun for a few hours and the Press and Seal test piece seemed even stickier. I’d guess that stickiness is residue from the top film. Nix that one - Press and Seal is best avoided for epoxy work.

Reynolds Wax Paper – The cleanest release and smoothest epoxy/fabric surface of any of the grocery store products, with only a few small wrinkles/crinkles. I didn’t see or feel any waxy residue, but I’d want to lightly sand and clean that area just to be sure; wax would be a horrible contaminat to leave in place before topcoating. (NOTE: Flat surface, will not work on complex curves)

Peel Ply – As expected the best of the lot and the easiest to work with, leaving a very faint weave pattern from the peel ply fabric. No wrinkles, no crinkles baby butt smooth.

Porous Release Film – Very clean release, but the epoxy surface is almost as wrinkled as with the two “cling” plastics.

Summary:

All of the materials released after a 12 hour cure, with one wrinkle trapped shard. In the previous plastic wrap experiment years ago (using poly resin) I had clamped the films down and found a good bit plastic trapped in compressed wrinkles and crinkles.

For a flattish surface or a simple curve wax paper seems to be the best, or at least easiest to work with, of the grocery store products. However wax paper will leave sharp-edged pockmark voids if the area is at all resin starved and will wrinkle if “forced” to take a curve.

For complex curves one of the stretchable cling products “might” work if laid in place with four hands, stretching the material smoothly across the surface area. Or not, even taping down one side of the wrap and pulling over and down I have never had much smooth success trying to stretch plastic wraps, and the resulting wrinkles and crinkles were more of a PITA to deal with than using no release material at all.

Clarification: While the cling products “might” work with better stretching technique on the outside of a curve (ie canoe stems), but on an interior curve like the chines plastic wrap would be a wrinkled and creased disaster to get into place.

The mystery “porous release film” (a reddish-translucent film perforated with small holes) was no better than the cling wrap plastics. I’m guessing it was intended for vacuum bagging.

Release Treated Peel Ply rules. By far the smoothest finish, wrinkle and crinkle free. The faint fabric weave sands far easier than jagged wrinkles and crinkles, and makes a beneficial mechanical bonding surface if left in place for additional epoxy coats. Cut on the bias or laid in multiple overlapping sections peel ply will wrap a stem curve, and it’s much easier than any cling wrap for working inside a hull.

The peel ply removes most amine blush, and I think some excess resin as well. I can’t prove this, but after using peel ply for a few years I have a feel for the least amount of resin necessary to fill the cloth, with any small amount of excess coming off with the peel ply.

Try PVC pipe, or a 2 liter pop bottle, instead of Vinyl siding. It should give a more realistic comparison. Yeah I know ! Too Late now !

Interesting experiment !

Mike. Have you ever tried clear packing tape? I've used it on small jobs, mostly for Seam Grip repairs on boots, and a little in boats and epoxy.

Mike. Have you ever tried clear packing tape? I've used it on small jobs, mostly for Seam Grip repairs on boots, and a little in boats and epoxy.

I have heard tell of using clear packing tape before, and always have around some for faux-laminating paper and packaging shipments with custom labels for DougD.

How do you use it, sticky side up or down? Sticky side down seems like it might leave adhesive residue for top coating. Sticky side up would be awkward to smooth out by hand or squeegee.

Sticky side down--lets you make a tight fit. I haven't worried about residue, as I haven't put anything on top. I don't remember any residue, though--you only have to leave it on a few hours. I'd think that any residue would be easy to remove, e.g. Goo Gone. The tape works well for small jobs, but I wouldn't use it for larger applications.

Back