• Happy Scream Day! 😱

I'm back

Welcome back. Tough time at the thunderbox?

Probably not much has changed. Still a great way to spend a couple of hours reading and most here are relatively harmless. Just, sometimes, a little rough with the boat.

Another welcome back! The fire is still warm and I think the beer is cold (not sure as this time of year I go for something stronger).
Jim

It's great to have you back, Rippy, it really is!

Too many of our early gang of posters and too many of our very productive posters have disappeared for reasons unknown. I myself stopped posting for almost a year for a variety of personal reasons, and now I end up owning the joint. I find that remaining a poster, passing on knowledge or just chatting about canoeing, to be a meaningful part of my life even though my actual canoeing has diminished because of age and other personal situations.

If any of our departed posters are still lurking, I encourage you to start posting again, even if only occasionally, because your presence here truly enriches the lives of all of us—present and future.

Back when I was a lurker you were a regular here. When I came out of the woodwork, signed up with Robin, you disappeared. Glad you are back, as I for one enjoyed your posts.
Motor cycles are out to kill humans, I learned this the hard way. Back in the day, I had a what was then called a dirt bike, a 444 BSA Victor Special (I believe that was what it was called) with a big 441 cubic inch, single cylinder engine. The Commander of radar site where I was stationed at the time, outlawed motorcycles on military property. So one long weekend, plus a week’s annual leave, I drove it home from Battle Creek to Northern Minnesota. While there, cruising the back forty one sunny day, I thought it might be fun to chase a woodchuck. The woodchuck ran to and down into its hole, the front wheel followed. I woke up later with the sun slowly sinking in the West, limped home. On that painful walk I started getting smarter by the time I got home I thought I would buy a new front wheel for the motorcycle and sell it. Which I did, used the money and a small loan from the military credit union to buy a slightly used 1963 Sunbeam Alpine English roadster. Much warmer in winter, not at all good for cruising back forty’s, much less chasing woodchucks.

Back when I was a lurker you were a regular here. When I came out of the woodwork, signed up with Robin, you disappeared. Glad you are back, as I for one enjoyed your posts.
Motor cycles are out to kill humans, I learned this the hard way. Back in the day, I had a what was then called a dirt bike, a 444 BSA Victor Special (I believe that was what it was called) with a big 441 cubic inch, single cylinder engine. The Commander of radar site where I was stationed at the time, outlawed motorcycles on military property. So one long weekend, plus a week’s annual leave, I drove it home from Battle Creek to Northern Minnesota. While there, cruising the back forty one sunny day, I thought it might be fun to chase a woodchuck. The woodchuck ran to and down into its hole, the front wheel followed. I woke up later with the sun slowly sinking in the West, limped home. On that painful walk I started getting smarter by the time I got home I thought I would buy a new front wheel for the motorcycle and sell it. Which I did, used the money and a small loan from the military credit union to buy a slightly used 1963 Sunbeam Alpine English roadster. Much warmer in winter, not at all good for cruising back forty’s, much less chasing woodchucks.
I hear ya Birch, I didn't replace the bike, but instead bought a convertible to get my wind therapy.

I had a dirt bike for a while, a Kawasaki KDX200. 11 inches of suspension travel, probably would have handled your woodchuck burrow fine. I dislocated and cracked up my shoulder, sold it to pay off the ER bill, and worked hard to get my range of motion back. Too many things I love to do require a competent shoulder - at the time I was competing in high power rifle and engrossed in traditional archery. Still doing archery when I can, have picked up canoeing, and rarely make it to the rifle range except with .22lr and kids. Need the shoulder for all of it!

P.s. welcome back Rippy!!

Back