• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

Ice Out Predictions

Reaction score
So those of you that still have hard water.....when do you think you'll be paddling? There is around 3.5 feet of ice still one the lakes around my place. Have woken up to -20 temps in the morning for over a week. I'm thinking I will be on the water at the end of the third week of May. I'm predicting Mat 21st.

Other predictions?

A cousin phoned me late last night, just to reminisce about the old days, as he always does. I like it when he calls. Even though he has a lot of people in his life, family, friends, he still gets lonely. We pass the time remembering what we can, and making up what we can't. But he also keeps up to date with family news, so he's always got some hot nuggets of knowledge to pass on to me. Such as "Someone's bought the old diner in town; turning it into a woodworking shop. Oh, and there's still a lot of ice still on the lake. Lots of snow around." That was in answer to what was new up north, and how were our up north cousins still skidooing. Just to double check my sources I looked at Zoom Earth satellite imagery for this date, and yup, my cousin is right. The world north of Lake Simcoe is still white and frosty looking. There's a distinct smudge of soft brown all across the south, like a giant swept his arm over southern Ontario to clear away the snow, maybe to get a better look. Ice out for Temagami is around the third week of April. I betcha April 25th. But around here miles to the south?
The ice is melting fast along the banks of the Grand River here. Just last month I was one of the last vehicles to drive across the bridge downtown before it was closed due to a dangerous ice dam. I was on my way to try to prepare an absent friend's house for the flood waters. What can you do for a single storey bungalow? Garage valuables I lifted up into the rafters. Emptied the basement of the few items worth saving. Took away all the power tools, locked the doors and hoped for the best. It was a long drive around the closed bridges to get home back across the river. Miles of traffic snaked up and down county roads, everyone looking for a way to somewhere else. It made me nervous to be heading in the opposite direction to them, upstream to a small town coffee shop, away from crowds and traffic troubles, and grinding ice. But the levees held. Ice dammed up to the bottom of a couple bridges, held there for a day and more, and then flushed through downstream. Ice pans lay like massive pavement slabs dumped in piles upstream along the shore. That was one ice out I'll never forget. Driving across the bridge the other day I saw logs and branches still caught up in the pedestrian bridge structure, formerly a railway trestle, right at the level where joggers and cyclists will soon be passing once the weather warms up a little more.

Last edited:
Central Minnesota here. Fairly cold winter with little snow. Consequently, the ice is thick. Our earliest open water, lake paddle has been April 1. We will be lucky to be on any lake around here by the middle of April. Happy Easter everyone!

we should see some open water on the rivers soon but clear enough to paddle will be probably early May.

River is almost free enough from ice to paddle. Will probably be clear by the end of the week. I'd guess 2nd week of April for the lakes unless we get a big warm-up, which could certainly happen....or not.

Hard to say what normal is anymore. When I was a kid early-mid April was normal ice out for lakes but during the last 10 years seems like it's been more like mid-march. We were very mild until X-mas and then very cold after that.

Alan

Same here, ice is still plenty thick and there is still lots of snow on the lake helping insulate the ice from the sun. Definitely be fishing hard water to the closing April 14th. Can't see the main lake being open for the May long weekend. But, you never know, could turn downright warm for a week or so and that'll change everything. So I'm going to say the main lake here May 22

April 20. Its almost always that week.. Still have feet of snow and the ice is thick. Snowmachines on it daily. The bottom line is not today..

As I attempt to travel south through British Columbia (2nd delay, today) I see some open water on the bigger rivers (e.g., the Frasier here in Prince George) but smaller rivers and most lakes still have a cover - that continues to grow - of nice, clean white snow. And the locals are saying they haven't seen a "spring" like this recently. So it will be what it will be.
Brad

Snow melting quickly during the day but freezing up again overnight- makes fore a fun run with the dogs in the pre-dawn dark! Lakes in North Central Alberta still ice covered but lots of running water in rivers and streams. There are significant sections of open water along the fast flowing sections of the North Saskatchewan River through Edmonton but don't expect to paddle until late April early May. Sturgeon River through St Albert is usually my fist paddle and I don't imagine launching the Pal before Earth Day, April 22nd. First float last year was Easter Sunday, April 16th...don't imagine I'll make Easter Sunday this year.

Bruce

I'm planning to make a last minute trip to the ADKs when I see the ice is off Tupper Lake via a live web cam. I'll watch the weather and look for 4 warm days in a row, maybe mid to late April, maybe a little later this year.
Pack the wall tent/wood stove and some good eats.
Last minute trips go with being retired.:cool:

Attachments

• photo9199.jpg
    photo9199.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 0
Figure the usual here, second week of May. Last year it was a few days before the May 24 weekend although we had snow the Friday of that weekend, which is becoming the norm here.

Cold snap coming this weekend which won't help but there is still 3 feet of snow in the back yard as well.

The Red River currently has above normal ice thickness in most areas. Based on March measurements this year, ice thickness ranges between 30 and 42 inches (0.76 to 1.07 m). Normal ice thickness for this time of the year for southern Manitoba rivers typically range between 12 and 24 inches (0.3 to 0.6 m).

Well Mem, as soon as it's off the lakes, get over to that little pond next to where I stayed last year and find some of those huge Brookies. Go with heavy leader, the fish were handing under the logs and beaver structures - I lost at least one 5+ lber in there

The local lakes in SE Michigan are almost clear. I camped (drove up) on the Au Sable river this past Sunday and the pond behind Cooke dam was about half clear and the remaining ice was very tenuous. In most places, it appeared the river was clear except for where the current caused ice to build up. I may be trying out my new paddle locally this weekend and heading up to the Au Sable just to paddle around the ponds in a couple of weeks.

I'm starting to wonder if we are going to make it for the May long weekend. Still well below normal day temps and nights still in the minus double digits. Some places need to melt 40" of ice in less than 5 weeks. Had snow yesterday and a possibility of more next week.

I'm all for bringing global warming to Manitoba.

Also starting to wonder about May long, typically a safe bet for canoeing ha! There's still 30" of ice around Timmins, Ontario area. Despite day time temps hovering just above freezing, the nightly lows plummet to the mid negative teens. A few of the creeks and rivers are starting to breakup in areas where current is present, but we're a long way off from ice free lakes. Predicting another 3 or so weeks of ice at least.

Back