• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

I think I'm in love

G

Got to try the kneeler in my Kee today. Best I've ever felt solo!

I think because of the side profile I felt much better heeling my Kee than a narrow solo boat. I found it worked best for me to stay only slightly heeled going straight and then lean it right to the rail to turn... I'm sure others would keep it right at the rail but I felt it was too spinny for me like that.

I was unsure it was going to be a good solo canoe but I had a more experienced paddler go out in it and he really liked it as well.

I also find it easier to get in and out of and get my feet under this thwart than a solo seat. Probably not as comfortable for the long haul but definitely a good way to start off.

Wind is a major issue though. Even a slight breeze in such a light, relatively high profile boat with the weight near center had me leaning forward and struggling to keep my track. I think a little ballast in the boat with me wouldn't be a bad idea.

Seen as how I can carry this beast, the paddle(s) and my pack in one shot, it could be taken on a solo trip... I may reconsider my previous claim that I will only use it for diddling around.

Oh and I wore my water shoes and my toes incurred no more kevlar damage!

Last edited:
I'm glad you had such a good experience l'oiseau. It's good to hear that your toes faired much better this time. So what is this kneeler you mention. Is it a kneeling thwart or a pad or something else entirely? I'm sure that it's probably very apparent to anyone who has had a few cups of coffee this morning but I am still working on my first.

I had a kneeling thwart put in my tandem canoe.

I find the thwart much less constrictive than a seat - kneeling is painful for me anyway so it doesn't much matter if it is a seat or a thwart my butt is on ;)

Maybe I'll give that a try. I do switch off a lot between kneeling, sitting, and high kneeling because of pain and numbness. I posted elsewhere about adapting my seat to fold up so that the boats attached to my ankles would not get trapped under the seat of the boat I ride in. Yellow Canoe answered that if I lifted the seat to uncover my feet, I would have no place to rest my butt. I have tried paddling while sitting on my calves before and I can not tolerate that more than just a few minutes.
If I used the hinged seat and a removable kneeling thwart that would just drop into place; it might solve my problem. Hmm...Thanks l'oiseau! You got the ol' thinker going for me. One more project to add to the list.

Great! Good luck. Mine is just a solo kneeler. I still have my seats installed in the normal positions. Kind of like you, I wish there was a way to switch easily between sitting and kneeling with a seat... with the lowered seats I have it is pretty impossible to get your feet under without becoming trapped. I like the control I have kneeling, but for steady cruising it isn't necessary and is just causes pain and numbness.

My wife can kneel in the bow and get her feet under - I suggested she get a pad and try kneeling for more radical maneuvers. It is more confidence inspiring for her anyway to lead a heel anyway.

I have seen seats that will raise and lower on the fly. I want to look into that. Sitting I want to be low, and kneeling I'd just as soon just have a thwart, I don't put a lot of pressure on the seat.

I don't know if you have seen it but there are also manufactured (or you could easily DIY) strap thwarts that clip to the gunnels. That may be the solution to use for the removable seat.

Last edited:
For L'oiseau.. Google Oiseau Bay Lake Superior. We hope to make it there on Friday. Will be thinking of you.

Will do. We are heading out tomorrow morning. Will be paddling our yellow Swift. Will be thinking of you... have fun and be safe!

Hey Drift Wood cut off about a foot of a swim noodle and try kneeling just in front of your seat with the noodle under your ankles (port to starboard between the hull and your ankles).

L'oiseau,
Sorry for the hijack.

Very interesting idea Tracker. Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best. I will try that out in the next few days and let you know how that works.

Oiseau Bay looks so beautiful. Enjoy your trip Yellow Canoe.

We're back! Pictures to come later. My camera is in the dirty gear..Oiseau Bay was beautiful. (except for two days of rain and high winds). I found something special there to post a picture of later.

I am in love with Lake Superior. Such a beautiful woman and so easily enraged. Safe havens like Oiseau Bay are rare.

Must have been those Hawk Vittles that gave you the strength to battle mighty Superior. Looking forward to pics!

Good thing you didn't end up like these poor sea dogs:

http://youtu.be/adZiVjXFfKk

Last edited:
Back