• Happy Scream Day! 😱

I need to buy a paddle on the interweb

I have a nice BB Starlite 58" which I can let go for the right price. In auction on Ebay right now.

Attachments

• SUNP0071.JPG
    SUNP0071.JPG
    151.1 KB · Views: 0
  • SUNP0070.JPG
    SUNP0070.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 0
  • SUNP0069.JPG
    SUNP0069.JPG
    176.7 KB · Views: 0
  • SUNP0067.JPG
    SUNP0067.JPG
    171.4 KB · Views: 0
  • SUNP0061.JPG
    SUNP0061.JPG
    332 KB · Views: 0
  • SUNP0062.JPG
    SUNP0062.JPG
    234.7 KB · Views: 0
  • SUNP0060.JPG
    SUNP0060.JPG
    283.9 KB · Views: 0
  • SUNP0063.JPG
    SUNP0063.JPG
    288.4 KB · Views: 0
  • SUNP0064.JPG
    SUNP0064.JPG
    238.5 KB · Views: 0
  • SUNP0065.JPG
    SUNP0065.JPG
    349.9 KB · Views: 0
  • SUNP0066.JPG
    SUNP0066.JPG
    209.8 KB · Views: 0
  • SUNP0068.JPG
    SUNP0068.JPG
    187.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nice looking paddle BC, but 58 inches is to long for my tyrannosaurus arms. I'm thinking I might go with Alan's advice and stick with the bent shaft for most paddling and either make or buy a basic clunker straight shaft for white water.

How could $150 not be considered expensive for a paddle?. I have bought some factory seconds from the Sawyer factory in Talent, OR that are stellar paddles for much less than $100 and a few from Bending Branches.

If you start poking around the interwebs, you'll soon see that 150 (Canadian) is really only entry level, particularly when you start looking at the space age material stuff. I have never spent 150 on a paddle, but I'm sure there are people on this site who have spent double or triple that amount on one.

Interesting that after paddling with my Zav for a few hours (10 oz), my Espresso ST feels like a club.

Its not true that one man paddle shops make one grade of paddle. One that used to post here before being ushered out makes nice paddles at various price points. The cost is in the finishing labor and for less expensive paddles less time is taken and less care in bookmatching laminations.

ORC is indeed liquidating its Bell stock but don't look to them if you have a warranty issue.

Interesting that after paddling with my Zav for a few hours (10 oz), my Espresso ST feels like a club.

I had a group of paddler friends visiting a few years ago and took them out on a trip, supplying the boats and paddles. I didn’t have enough lightweight composite paddles to go around and one experienced paddler pal ended with a heavyish wood stick.

He hadn’t much touched anything but a carbon paddle in years. You would have thought I was trying to kill him.

We have some well made wood sticks that are simply too heavy for my aging tastes. My sons will use them without complaint, but, given the chance, even they prefer a lightweight composite.

It’s hard to go back.

I have a Levass 7oz paddle that I use some time... Everything feel like a club after that, but if you paddle on anything that is shallow and rocky with section of white water, this is not the addle I would pick even if they are way tougher than the Zav.

I have a Levass 7oz paddle that I use some time... Everything feel like a club after that, but if you paddle on anything that is shallow and rocky with section of white water, this is not the addle I would pick even if they are way tougher than the Zav.

I’ll admit I bring a heavier-duty paddle as my back up. And using it sparingly. I sometimes carry an absurdly heavy old Sawyer wood laminate as a back up/beater. 2lbs 12oz for a 51 inch straight stick. Although I like the grip and shaft it feels like a war club.

Or using it when something lighter would do. I’d hate to paddle with that beast all day, but it seems impervious to damage and I can’t imagine breaking it.

I can’t imagine a situation where I wouldn’t want to carry a spare paddle, preferably something different than my primary stick, often something towards the sturdier side.

Part of that spare paddle comfort is simply having some system to secure and retain the spare (and primary) easily and quickly at hand, to make a switch or needful spare-grab quick and easy.

Paddle pockets and strap on a spray cover work for me, or a vee of thwart bungee and deck hooks. Some system where I can stow and/or grab the paddle quickly and securely, preferably one-handed.

Even more so when landing in wind or wave or steep embankment site, and wanting both hands instantly free to control the boat as I hurl myself overboard.

So who will be the first to do a DIY carbon paddle?

Not me, "Wood is Good". I like my wooden paddle, I like my traditional wooden paddle, I went out today with my 7 years old daughter, and I use my "tete de boule" style paddle made of sitka spruce, I don't know how much it weight, but it is much lighter than the same paddle made out of hard wood, and much nicer to paddle with. And that thing can move a lot of water if need be!!

Back