• Happy National Paranormal Day! 🔮👻👽

I need a a little help

Reaction score
I'm working on another canoe stand but I ran into a design problem

The stand works well with the canoe upside down

But is there a way to make it more stable when its upright?

You could make a set of wedges that would friction fit over the webbing that would be padded and that way it would squeeze the hull and be more stable....

But is there a way to make it more stable when its upright?

I prefer to have the canoe completely immobilized; upside down on a rigid stand I will block the outwales so the boat can’t move sideways and right side up I use wedges of angled ethafoam to hold the hull in place and prevent it from rocking side-to-side.

Maybe add a tension-able strap between the support arms running across the top?

Well that stand looks like an elegant show stand and reminds me of the Auburn Chair of Thomas Mosher( there was an article in todays Press Herald).

That flyaway curve of the side pieces is beautiful but of no help.. Support comes from the straps hugging the hull. With your shape of the strap in a shallow U , it does not hug the hull. Granted a straight side and a longer strap is less elegant.

I agree with Charlie on step 1 to try first before reengineering the whole kit.

The stand is intend to be a show stand and not a work stand. I thought about which way the top stretcher should be attached and opted for the finished side up but now see the error in my design.

The stand is intend to be a show stand and not a work stand. I thought about which way the top stretcher should be attached and opted for the finished side up but now see the error in my design.

For a display stand what orientation would show off the canoe best?

How does it rest with the canoe leaned over on edge at a 45?

That would show the interior without walking all the way up and looking down inside the hull, and the bottom of the boat if viewed from the other side of the stand.

I bet that Singer sewing machine stand could make a nifty show stand for a small canoe if it had a twin!

I flipped the top stretcher, lengthened the strap, still needs to be longer, and it looks great at 45˚.
For the second one I'm going to use one large stretcher between the uprights instead of the two small ones beside the uprights.
Hopefully I'll get a window in the rain tomorrow to get the canoe and stands outside for pictures.

This is an elegant stand! Nice work.

I think you should keep this beauty as a display stand; perhaps we could talk about hard-core working stands on a new thread.

This is an elegant stand! Nice work.

I think you should keep this beauty as a display stand; perhaps we could talk about hard-core working stands on a new thread.

Can't wait to read and see what you have to offer Peach!

I bet that Singer sewing machine stand could make a nifty show stand for a small canoe if it had a twin!

Those old Singer stands are versatile !
Used one as a base for my first router table, for which I used to bead and cove strips.

IMG_0782_zps2acd7hve.jpg

Jim

I finished the stand today and tried to hit a small widow of sunlight this afternoon to take pictures I shut on me a little too soon.

Back