• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Hudson Valley/Capital District gathering

@TrailBlaser - Along the Erie Canal there are some locks that allow camping. Most are just a place for your tent but others include picnic tables and an outhouse/bathroom of some kind. I live about an hour south of the canal and access it at a variety of locations (i.e. Little Falls, Minden, St. Johnsville, Fort Plain to name a few) and you can find sites in these locations.

Another option for locating the campsites along the canal is to check out the bike trail information. I think more people pedal the canal then paddle it. The resources and information for the bike trail does include information on camping. You can find most of what you need on-line. There are so many resources I'd hesitate to recommend just one but I'm sure you'll be able to find what you need.

If you do come up this way, let me know. I'd love to paddle with you if you're so inclined; and I won't be upset if you'd prefer solo paddling while enjoying some peace and quiet.

That's all for now. Sorry for the derailment of the original thread, and until next time...be well.

snapper
Thanks for all the information snapper. I will be in touch when I plan my canal paddle. I am leaning towards the section of Seneca near the Montezuma preserve, but nothing is firmed up yet. Thanks again.

Restarting this thread, how's the weekend of Friday October 13- Sunday 15th at Lake Taghkanic? The campground closes the following weekend. That's my only free weekend for a while. Could be some foliage also down there.

I'm available Sat, Oct 14, and possibly the morning of Sun the 15th. I likely wouldn't camp since I live close by. But I'd be glad for an all day event, maybe some potluck lunch, some trying folks' boats, working on technique together, general hanging out, etc.

I was there a few weeks back paddle boarding with a friend on a busy weekend and no one tried to charge us for boat stickers. Not sure how often you can get away with that.

Not a requirement or criticism, but just two suggestions based on my experience.

Arranging this particular trip might be better served by a new thread rather than having folks read through an unsuccessful get-together thread from last season.

As to organizing trips in general, my experience is that it is almost impossible to "negotiate" places and dates with a plethora of lukewarm/maybe/iffy paddlers on a public forum. I believe the most effective method is the old-fashioned way: The organizer simply schedules and announces in advance a date and place for a trip that he or she or some group IS going on—including the camping reservation situation, if applicable—invite others, and just GO. Whoever else shows up, shows up, for one day or two. If they show up too late to make or join in a campsite reservation, then they're on their own for sleeping accommodations.

It's almost inevitable that if the organizer is not sure about going on a specific trip (or holding an event), no one else will ever be sure either, and it won't happen.

I hear ya Glenn, I too have a place to stay near there in Copake but I wouldn't mind relaxing for a night camping. I was just online to check out sites and it's a minimum of 2 nights on Reserve America. I wouldn't be able to get there until real late Friday night dealing with traffic. I'll call up the campground tomorrow and find out if they allow walk in's for a 1 nighter in October.
Tsuga8 I'll keep in contact.

Best I can tell, it's $10 per vehicle entry and $10 for a weekly boat registration. I don't mind paying to support the park.

I've blocked off the 14th in my calendar.

I'm not certain I'm available that weekend, but I live close by and would love to come if I can—please keep me in the loop too!

School starting today in NYC, my 30th and last year. It's been a bit busy this week and I haven't called the campground yet. I too saved the date of October14th. Will do my best to contact them in the next few days.

Iam in for this oct. 14. And iam in for camping. Really like to meet other trippers.

Just called the campground, walk in's for camping not permitted. I would just come in early when it opens and stay as late as possible and use the BBQ at one of the sites. I'll set up another thread.

Just to note for those following this thread but who didn't catch the new one, at least a few of us will gather tomorrow morning for a paddle and lunch bbq, maybe more if the rain holds off. Details here:

Back