• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Hudson Bay Axe Disimprovement

Reaction score
Take a look at what Coldsteel believes to be an improvement on a dependable design and the two reviews at the bottom. Just a matter of time before the personal injury lawyers are getting a piece of the action.

I've owned a Snow&Nealley axe for over twenty years that saw a lot of use, never got close to breaking the hickory handle. All I had to do over the years was adding a small wedge once.

...if you're caught in the wilderness, a field-expedient replacement handle can be improvised from nearly any piece of wood available.
The manufacturer is probably assuming that you packed some Loctite and your socket heads as well as a breaker bar of sufficient length to break the old Loctite. Handle replacement instructions (if you bought the axe, you'll need the instructions) probably also tell you to clamp the head securely in a bench vise while breaking the Loctited bolts loose. Not to worry though, the vise can likely double as an anchor and as camp furniture. (helps off set the weight if you leave your camp chair at home).

Now watch, some non-camping relative will stuff one under your tree!

I applaud the aspiration perhaps, but some things just don't need to be innovated

I've owned a Snow&Nealley axe for over twenty years that saw a lot of use, never got close to breaking the hickory handle.

I have one also, a great little ax I have taken on many trips. I was Christmas shopping in a local outdoor store and saw a new S & N Hudson Bay ax last week, very nice looking ax that hasn't changed from what I could see, reasonably priced also. I believe it's also made locally in Maine again after a while of offshore production.
I'm not a fan of that Coldsteel ax.

Some simple clever engineering there, but I'm not sure a clamp is better than a wedge.

Last edited:
The after-market possibilities for those bolts are positively endless! :rolleyes:

For those with can't seem to hit the log they are aiming for, there's the Acme "Accu-Chop" bolt-on axe-head laser sight ($199.99)!

Or for those who can't quite get the hang of sharpening an axe by hand in the field, there's the Acme "Grind-o-Matic" bolt-on, lithium-powered axe sharpener" ($249.99)!

Finally, for the ultimate in safety for the axe-wielder, there's the Acme "Chop-Stop" bolt-on axe safety device" ($599.99). This state of the art kit replaces the two standard bolts that came with your axe with explosive bolts and includes a small Air Force-surplus Rocket Assisted Take Off (RATO) device -- all connected to Acme's patented skin-sensor. Upon sensing the cutting edge of the axe coming in contact with the operator's flesh, the Chop-Stop instantaneously fires the explosive bolts that attach the axe-head to the handle while simultaneously activating the RATO, thereby safely propelling the axe-head a safe distance away from the user. While you wait for your original axe head's orbit to decay and for it to reenter the atmosphere, you'll really appreciate the convenience of being able to bolt on a spare axe-head ($99.99) to your now-headless axe handle.

I've only ever broken 2 axe handles in my life, and I knew they were going long before they broke. It's a simple matter to bury the head in the ground up to the eye, burn out the eye by building a fire over it, whittle a new handle, and drive the steel wedge back in...

I watch lots of Viking movies and mini-series. Those guys and shield maidens could literally fell empires with their axes. Why, oh why, has their technology gone to Valhalla?

For this tough CTN crowd, I (an indifferent machete guy) offer the Helko Vario 2000 Convertible Axe System for you to chop to pieces. Helko has been making axes in Germany since 1844.

Helko Convertible Axe System.jpg

After a picture-rich and extremely long and thorough comparative testing review by Rocky Mountain Bushcraft, here is part of the conclusion:

". . . for those who want a versatile homestead or camping axe and don't want to deal with alignment issues or replacing a broken axe handle, the Vario just might be the future. It's not the greatest chopper, and doesn't have quite the balance of a fine Swedish axe, but it's a great splitter, chops respectably and converts to many configurations. Most of all, it has solved two of the greatest problems inherent in traditional axes-- difficulty of handle replacement and alignment issues. These last two advantages alone make this axe revolutionary."

I personally don't see any improvement over a traditional axe. You can buy a forged axe for under $200. I have to believe that those fasteners will become loose with use and it is a disaster waiting to happen. The "difficulty of handle replacement" has gotten much worse with now needing a replacement from the manufacturer (at a premium I am sure), carrying a torx bit tool, and hopefully the fasteners/threads aren't damaged. I have to believe Rocky Mountain Bushcraft is affiliated in some way with this company or distributor.

I have to believe Rocky Mountain Bushcraft is affiliated in some way with this company or distributor.

Nothing's impossible, but I doubt it. The RMB blog has been one of the best and most thorough reviewers of hundreds of bushcraft products since 2011. Here is their About Us page:

My favorite pack axe is still my old hand forged Husqvarna for something like 60 bucks. It chops and splits well, is easily handled and built tough - has been with me on a kazillion trips. Just a boring old axe that I can sharpen to near razor while sitting in my tent. These newer axes are very interesting to me. I enjoy looking at them, reading reviews ... but I just like working with my old style stuff better. Oiling handles, sharpening heads ... helps me remember how it got boogered up in the first place. That brings a smile to my face ... then I long to use it again.

Bob

Another clever design with an (un)intended catch. On the off-chance you'd require a new handle, you'd need to buy one of theirs specially to fit the squared head slot. But there are advantages to this axe. I suppose all things might fit into the expression "there's always room for improvement".
I like to internet window shop. Tents. Packs. Knives. Axes. Rope. Twig stoves. I have a lot of virtual shopping carts out there in the ether waiting for me to check them out. A new and improved axe won't be in one of them, but it's always entertaining to see a new K-tel product.

ps Maybe this is the future in axes? Refined man made components, both handles and heads, each design specific to a manufacturer.

Last edited:
My favorite pack axe is still my old hand forged Husqvarna for something like 60 bucks. It chops and splits well, is easily handled and built tough - has been with me on a kazillion trips. Just a boring old axe that I can sharpen to near razor while sitting in my tent. These newer axes are very interesting to me. I enjoy looking at them, reading reviews ... but I just like working with my old style stuff better. Oiling handles, sharpening heads ... helps me remember how it got boogered up in the first place. That brings a smile to my face ... then I long to use it again.

Bob
it's probably the same as my old Mastercraft (Canadian Tire house brand), back in the 60's and 70's Sandvik rebranded their axe heads for many customers and were considered top top the line.

Back