• Happy International Museum Day!🏛️ 🖼️🏺

How to Prepare for a 30 Day Canoe Trip and How to Get Out Alive

Reaction score
An instructional video on how to prepare for a 30 day canoe trip using footage taken from a 30 day trip in the wilds of Temogami. Check it out, give it a like subscribe and let me know what you think!

Is that a square back Sportspal or a Raddison in the video?

Well, as many of you here know, I'm a sucker for a square stern. But I've even got some standards, lol. To the canoe world, the sportspal is like the moped to the motorcycle community; fun to drive, but you don't want anyone seeing you. Not trying to be that guy, but usually people who have authority about tripping wouldn't be including the sportspal in their video, unless it was an instructional video on canoes not to take on an extended wilderness trip.

I don't disagree, I'm not a Sportspal Fan. I was lent that boat for a month, and am totally grateful for it but I'll admit it wasn't my favorite boat but was willing to take anything I could paddle at the time. I have since been saving my pennies and have purchased my own canoe, an Esquif Prospector 15, which I'm absolutely in love with.

Last edited:
I don't disagree, I'm not a Sportspal Fan. I was lent that boat for a month, and am totally grateful for it but I'll admit it wasn't my favorite boat but was willing to take anything I could paddle at the time. I have since been saving my pennies and have purchased my own canoe, an Esquif Prospector 15, which I'm absolutely in love with.

So your name is tripping AUTHORITY but you are just starting... That is pretty ballsy to give your self that name!

What makes you think I'm new to this? I've been paddling and been on countless multi-day canoe trips over the last 15 years, working for many of those years as a canoe tripping guide. What kind of experience do you have bud?

What makes you think I'm new to this? I've been paddling and been on countless multi-day canoe trips over the last 15 years, working for many of those years as a canoe tripping guide. What kind of experience do you have bud?

Se I shouldn't have assumed... Good for you. As for me, not much experience at all, still learning. Started paddling in 81 but really got into it in early 90's, guided and leaded trips for the past 20 years, teaching ww for the past 11 years, fixing canoes for the past 10 years.... Still far from being an Authority in the field of paddling, tripping, guiding etc etc.

My apologie to assume you were new to all this, and say that the name isn't fitting. Cheers

Authority

A DEA officer stopped at a ranch in Texas , and talked with an old rancher.

He told the rancher, "I need to inspect your ranch for illegally grown drugs."

The rancher said, "Okay , but don't go in that field over there.....", as he pointed out the location.

The DEA officer verbally exploded saying, " Mister, I have the authority of the Federal Government with me!"

Reaching into his rear pants pocket, the arrogant officer removed his badge and proudly displayed it to the rancher.

"See this badge?! This badge means I am allowed to go wherever I wish...On any land!

No questions asked or answers given!! Have I made myself clear...do you understand?!"

The rancher nodded politely, apologized, and went about his chores.

A short time later, the old rancher heard loud screams, looked up, and saw the DEA officer running for his life, being chased by the rancher's big Santa Gertrudis bull.

With every step the bull was gaining ground on the officer, and it seemed likely that he'd sure enough get gored before he reached safety. The officer was clearly terrified.

The rancher threw down his tools, ran to the fence and yelled at the top of his lungs...

"Your badge, show him your BADGE!!"

Se I shouldn't have assumed... Good for you. As for me, not much experience at all, still learning. Started paddling in 81 but really got into it in early 90's, guided and leaded trips for the past 20 years, teaching ww for the past 11 years, fixing canoes for the past 10 years.... Still far from being an Authority in the field of paddling, tripping, guiding etc etc.

My apologie to assume you were new to all this, and say that the name isn't fitting. Cheers

Eric, this is a pretty congenial group on Canoe Tripping, with contributors from all over the continent experienced paddling in far flung venues. CT may skew towards older paddlers, with a lot of tripping and learning experiences garnered over the decades.

The 30 day trip video is a good nutshell for anyone unpracticed in wilderness tripping, but we all have different styles for different places. What works on the Barren Lands is different from what works on western rivers, and equally different from what works in Everglades or coastal paddling.

Unlike some folks here I don’t tote chainsaws and keep portages open. But like Canotrouge I am still learning, despite starting in the 1960’s as bowman in my Dad’s Grumman (or more often a Ward’s Sea King). I didn’t start solo wilderness tripping until 1988, but have since done trips from Canada to Florida to Oregon. I led monthly club daytrips and campers for 30 years, and my principle avocation is repairing and outfitting canoes and kayaks. Still far from being an authority.

And still learning, often from the folks here.

Still learning after 55 years of canoe tripping
Those that are more skilled than I are quite unassuming and never think of themselves as an authority
Anyway congrats on the first boat and welcome to the insanity of boat gathering
For me the hard part of 30 days is purely psychological
I talk to mushroons then
Maybe i ought to do something else with shrooms

The video.
Too fast talking
NO emphasis on carrying that many eggs out of shells.. Not safe. You can get away with it for one day.. You are playing roulette with eggs.
Nothing really on what to carry for a medical kit and while there are variations there are some basics needed.
No emphasis on if you carry a tool you must learn to use it safely ...at home.. Too many times I have seen newbies whang their leg or finger with a knife or axe.

Its a good video for complete newbies and the choice of canoe they may have is what they can get a hold of. Yours has character.
Many of us tripped for years with the same/ Grumman here between 1969 and 1989.

Last edited:
The video.
Too fast talking
NO emphasis on carrying that many eggs out of shells.. Not safe. You can get away with it for one day.. You are playing roulette with eggs.
Nothing really on what to carry for a medical kit and while there are variations there are some basics needed.
No emphasis on if you carry a tool you must learn to use it safely ...at home.. Too many times I have seen newbies whang their leg or finger with a knife or axe.

Its a good video for complete newbies and the choice of canoe they may have is what they can get a hold of. Yours has character.
Many of us tripped for years with the same/ Grumman here between 1969 and 1989.
I agree. With the food (eggs) issue, if you are providing for a group as a guide, you have to be extra careful. I have made home-made meals for scouts and their leaders for 25+ years on week long trips and know how to take special care to make and keep food safe.

Especially with the medical kit you must know exactly what is in it and how and when to use every component it offers. Is it complete to your skill level? Best plan is to gather likely first aid medical components yourself and put together your own kit rather than buying one with many unknown or unnecessary components. Practice at home. The same goes for any other bit of gear or tool.

BTW, I started canoe tripping in a grumman (the then available lightweight model) 45+ years ago and it worked fine for me. I sure learned a lot from it at the time. Still have it hanging in the barn ready to use or to loan out if I so choose. But I have never known an experienced paddler or anyone else who uses or has ever enjoyed an old Raddison.

Back