• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

How much does your gear weigh

I think that those insane capacity ratings of over half a ton are actually a danger to the paddler.. especially the new paddler.

Kudos to those companies which refuse to list weight capacities for their canoes. I once asked Wenonah about that and their response was such a number was meaningless if not misleading and potentially dangerous, especially without factoring in the type of waters being traveled, paddler skill and experience and etc.

In that regard OT’s weight capacity numbers seem especially egregious.

Trying to take less is a never ending battle for me, darn Robin will keep posting photos of how neat and proper his canoe looks and I'm shamed to trying to reduce. But in all this self inflicted wound soap opera, I've never come anywhere close to having too much weight in the canoe. I battle to retain enough space for me and the dog after I've got all the gear packed. (well, it's not quite that bad but close)

For just normal tripping and camping I have a hard time imagining how you could over burden your canoe by weight.

Best Wishes, Rob

For just normal tripping and camping I have a hard time imagining how you could over burden your canoe by weight.

One of the most absurd loads I have seen. Not a lot of freeboard there.

These guys were trailed by a companion tandem carrying stacked plastic boxes of gear. And I mean stacked, to the point that the stern paddler’s view consisted of the top of bowman’s head peeking above a row of gunwale-wide containers piled three high.

Fortunately they had a calm day and fairly shallow waters. I crossed my fingers that their trip back would be similarly windless.

For some kinds of abnormal tripping I can easily exceed the performance burden. And still keep it all below the gunwale line.

One of the most absurd loads I have seen. Not a lot of freeboard there.

The bow looks a little light... I think they need a bigger dog.

And for the life of me I can't imagine what the heck they are carrying that takes up that much space and is that important?

Are those clam rakes sticking out of the stern? I love that the gear is tied in.. I would love to see a follow up video of the capsize and trying to right and bail that beast

Are those clam rakes sticking out of the stern? I love that the gear is tied in.. I would love to see a follow up video of the capsize and trying to right and bail that beast

Clam rakes, plural. I wish there was a photo of the other tandem. It looked a bit like this, except it had two guitars strapped on top:

https://www.google.com/search?q=big...mes-are-coming-to-a-lot-near-you%2F;1600;1028

The stern man in the container-canoe kept slipping the boat sideways so he could see where he was going.

Wow! I never would have believed it! And the two guy's are grinning like they had good sense. I'd guess that the dog is the brains of the outfit. What was that guy; Alfred E. Newman?? "What, me worry?"

Hmmm....not sure it was a good idea for me to see that; in comparison I feel pretty squared away. Oh, I'll keep trying to get it down to near Robin's example but I don't expect miracles.

Thanks for sharing the photo Mike!

Rob

Hmmm.....I was thinking about those two guys and the dog. Remember sometime in maybe the fifties, there was this film "King Solomon's Mines"? In it there was a shot against the skyline of this whole line of black bearers carrying boxes and bundles on their heads. I wonder if those guys in the canoe were imprinted with "that's the way to do it"?

Believe I'll try to find that film, sooo politically incorrect nowadays! It ought to be fun to watch.

Best Wishes, Rob

I don't know if any of you remember the epic Dr. Seuss book, Go Dog Go, but it was my favourite read when I was a little tyke. I used to imagine those dogs just living it up everywhere. I think that's why that pic appeals to me so much, it looks like the next chapter for Go Dog Go.

I'd guess that the dog is the brains of the outfit.

Well the dog could see where they were headed, and was wearing a PFD, so you may be right.

If I had not been accompanied by companions on that trip I would have turned around and paddled back out to camp near them, just to see what the heck all they had brought.

Clam rakes, multiple coolers and two guitars –it could have been a memorable night.

Well, ppine, I might be a little closer to what you meant. Ran a trip with a bunch of neophytes last week, had two 20 foot canoes, one big 17 footer and lots of gear. No ports. The idea was to provide comfort and let them have a good time. Think there were five coolers for a 3 day trip.

Here's the bar, minus the coolers with beer

Complete with a reflector over (Compliments of our OM) and lasagna and garlic bread, little meals really.

I could get used to that style of tripping, although it took me a day or two to recover.

That is not what I meant.

Ppine, I wasn’t implying that it was.

I’ve paddled on the Colorado, the Green and the Rio Grande. The second photo, below the absurd load, is a test load of gear in a soloized Penobscot for a three week trip on the Green, including 22 days worth of food, toilet, fire pan, 20+ liters of water and sundry comfort items like a real chair (two actually) and small cooler.

This load, which is as much stuff as I’ve ever carried on a trip, and I used every piece of it.

If I'm portaging, I try to keep my load down under 20lbs of gear, which isn't too hard. Food runs an additional 2lbs per day. I carry a heavy wannagan box when portages are easy, with a dutch oven, grill/pipes, pie maker, and other luxuries. Can't imagine a load that ever exceeds 70-80lbs total, plus me, plus the canoe...

About 50 pounds:

- One Duluth pack with eVent liner, which has my tent, silnylon tarp, sleeping gear (down bag, air mattress, air pillow), extra clothes, food (all freeze dried commercial and protein bars) in an Ursack, kitchen (jetboil and a spork), water filter, folding saw.

- One small waterproof backpack with first aid kit, survival gear, change of clothes, snacks, and other miscellaneous stuff I may need in the canoe.

- One 5"x7" Pelican box with still or video camera.

- One PFD with PLB, knife, whistle, compass.

- Pants pockets and belts with bear spray holster, knife.

The only thing that would change is the number of days of food. But since all the food is commercial dehydrated meals and protein bars, it's not that much extra weight for each day. Plus, I never go out for more than a week anyway.

If I take my full-size bag chair on a no portage or few portages trip, that's another nine pounds.

If I take my Swedish-Chinese canoe cart for wheelable portage routes, that's another 16 pounds in the canoe, but it eliminates all carrying on portages.

My solo canoe is heavy duty construction and heavy, about 45 pounds. I'd like a 32 pound SRT.

We've had occasion where the food barrel for a 12 plus day trip weighed in around 40 pounds alone (no alcohol). Equipment pack 25-30 pounds, Secondary pack, 20 pounds, Christine takes her own smaller pack as well, plus Pelican with electronics, likely 15 pounds, fishing gear, axe... it can add up fast. We will weigh the packs only after packed, then possibly shift gear around to even weights out, but we never weigh individual pieces. Bulky is heavier but comfort is mandatory.

It is a canoe, it will take the weight and we can just take more walks to portage it. No big deal.

Last edited:
It is somehow reassuring to see some heavier loads. There is that certain juggling act that takes place when packing for a river with some rapids in it. Some equipment needs to be left at home to maintain the flotation and nimbleness required. Flat rivers like the Green in Utah always seem to have the biggest loads.

I went backpacking this weekend and was reminded how much I really do not like dehydrated food.

I'm still learning and striving to find a nice balance between camp comfort and portage pain.

Somehow I suspect we are all in the same boat more or less... and don't excuse the pun.

Back