• Happy "Killer Rabbit" Attacks President Carter in His Paddle Boat (1979)! 🚣🏼‍♂️🐇

How hard to fix this?

Reaction score
I've been thinking about this boat...they were asking $1200 before it got damaged. It's the least expensive Bell lay-up, I think they called it Fiberlar. I passed it because I didn't want to lift and load a relatively heavy boat (around 50 pounds) onto a 4-Runner or get kayak saddles for my rack plus I'm not sure how dog-capable it would be. Now it's almost a giveaway and I wonder about leaving it out in the woods by the river...I have a couple of places where I could do that. It looks like it took a pretty good hit of some sort. It also looks like it was barely used before the boo-boo.

I'm not looking for a DIY project but at same time I imagine that it might be fairly easy to patch up.

What do you experts think?

https://swmi.craigslist.org/boa/d/michigan-city-bell-rob-roy-15-solo/7119268125.html

Watch out. McCrea might snap that up!

Repair could range from easy to time consuming depending on how you wanted it to look when you were done. Since the gel coat is white instead of clear it should make the repair job easier since it will be easy to cover with paint.

I'd cut away the damage until it would all lay flat, put something like cardboard over the outside to hold the shape of the hull, put a couple layers of fiberglass on the inside and then put a couple layers on from the outside. Before I laid the outside glass I might use thickened epoxy to fill the cracks/gaps to give a smoother surface before laying down the patches. Use peel ply to feather the edges and it should require minimal sanding when done. Spray paint it white and call it a day.

Alan

If it was closer than SW Michigan I’d be on the road right now. Other than the easily repaired hull damage everything else appears to be in excellent condition, from the wood coaming to the cockpit tape to seat and back band to the freaking rope.

I’m gonna guess it was garage stored, and someone backed a vehicle into it. I’m also gonna guess it won’t last long at $300.

I wish I knew someone in SW Michigan.

Maybe you have a boat that would better fit Mr Gumpus' wish list. He could grab the Rob Roy and you two could meet somewhere half way to swap boats and germs. :)

Hey Mr. Gumpas, I’ve got an Old Town Appalachian in excellent condition; it was a Blem made with crazy thick heavy Royalex, so it weighs 80 lbs, but it should never wear thin. And a soloized Pamlico 160 (AKA the plastic Kruger) with a rudder, raised seat and downwind sail, that weighs just a little less ;-)

Gumpas, I don’t know how big your dog is, but if you are looking for a great decked canoe day boat, at $300 and with some glass and epoxy repairs that is a steal.

Well I appreciate the quick and clear feedback. It sounds like you guys aren't too concerned about the damage you see. I'm really quite content with the little fleet I already have but I totally agree that the Rob Roy is desirable. Seems like I should grab it and either fix myself and keep it or get a repair quote from a local boat shop or hold it for someone else on this site. It's definitely like new except for the one blemish.

Mr. Gumpus, I would jump all over that if I lived closer. I have one and I love the heck out of it. That damage is easily fixed and being such a stable hull it is a joy to paddle. Mine is only 35 pds and is not the the black "gold"? but it is the lightest boat I own so it my go to boat. Word of advice, leave the gunwales alone, they look solid. Don't ask why but it is how I learned how to steam bend wood! Go get it!

Thanks Doug. I've reached out to the seller so we'll see what happens. If anyone on this site is racing to buy it from underneath me I intend to track them down and apply a Dynel skid plate to their face. Or at least gorilla tape.

Thanks Doug. I've reached out to the seller so we'll see what happens. If anyone on this site is racing to buy it from underneath me I intend to track them down and apply a Dynel skid plate to their face. Or at least gorilla tape.

You engaged in risky behavior by posting the pix ! Macing with super glue is another option. Be glad we are farther away. Gawd a sweet craft!

If that Rob Roy were not as far away I’d happily accept my punishment, and thank you with a Gorilla tape muffled “Mffff, mffff”

I may have given the Rob Roy short shrift with “day boat”. Folks who pack lighter than me trip with Rob Roys, starting with Macgregor in the 1860’s. Awesome history and inspiration in that decked design.

About dog weight; if you always paddle with the pooch it would be easy enough to move the single stern thwart back and reposition the sit-on-the-bottom seat for better trim with dog. Or perhaps even install a (very) short slider.

Seriously, nab that $300 Rob Roy. I don’t think you are going to fix that damage with superglue, but you won’t likely see another at that price, and it is a wonderful design.

Well just to close out the story someone else beat me to it. I'm actually kind of relieved since I'm not quite ready for a boat that wants a double-bladed paddle and I don't really want another boat to store (at least not that one). I think my biggest disappointment is not being able to pass it along to someone else. Thanks again for all the quick feedback.

I thought about it. I typically search a 5 hour radius and look at everything; the best deals are those where the seller thinks a canoe is a kayak, or Kevlar is fiberglass, this one looks like Kevlar.

I thought about it. I typically search a 5 hour radius and look at everything; the best deals are those where the seller thinks a canoe is a kayak, or Kevlar is fiberglass, this one looks like Kevlar.

Wow. And to think I almost paid twice as much for a slower, more common boat that had been run over by a car. ;)

Do you have any plans to visit Michigan soon? :rolleyes:

Back