• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

HINS, Oopsies and Home Built’s

Reaction score
The Hereford Zone along the Mason-Dixon Line
The stamped HIN on the most recent rebuild was faint, approaching invisible. I had to scrape a pencil across a piece of paper to be able to read it. Then, after several coats of Topside paint, it was more than illegibly faint. Add to that the symmetrical canoe had previously been rebuilt backwards, and I kept that orientation.

I wanted a more readable HIN, in the now correct location, right rear stern, not left front bow. I could have scratched it in with an etching pen, but my handwriting sucks, and using a vibrating etching pen wouldn’t help.

I have name & contact labels in the canoe, but I wanted an actual HIN tag, pop riveted in place.

Stainless steel pet-ID tag. Less than $4.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BZ2FGWK?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

Multiple lines of text available, I only needed one, all 12 characters of the HIN fits on one line. Mistakes were made; I should have (meant to) order the dog bone shape, but ordered the circle instead.

Even so, pop riveted to the right stern it looks good.

I’ve mentioned that I see things in photographs that I missed in person. Things like pop riveting the HIN tag on upside down.

P2280002 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Dang it, the canoe is already chained up at the reservoir. Eh, nowhere in the HIN regulations does it say it needs to be rightside up.

I’m sure homebuilders who need to register a canoe know this, but DIY boats are (can be) assigned a HIN by the responsible State agency (DNR, Watershed, Licensing), with the first three letters, the Manufacturer Identification Code (MIC), designating the State of Origin. In Maryland that State Code is MDZ.

Not sure what wood-canvas folks do who need to register a canoe and provide a HIN. Maybe a brass plate for aesthetic reasons.

https://www.amazon.com/Custom-Stamped-Brass-Dog-Collar/dp/B07N7RKQ2K/ref=sr_1_8?crid=37MFQO4JPY6C7&keywords=engraved+brass+tags&qid=1646157132&sprefix=Engrave+brass+,aps,277&sr=8-8

Next time. We have a couple other boats with very faint etched HINs.

D’oh! Hate it when I do things like that. It would bug me enough I’d have to drill out those rivets and turn the tag over.

“D’oh! Hate it when I do things like that. It would bug me enough I’d have to drill out those rivets and turn the tag over”

Woodpuppy, Me? Moi? Do something like that? Surely you jest.

The stern seat in one rebuild, which had already been fully installed - truss drops, long machine screws/washers/nuts installed and tightened, etc – before being removed to varnish and web did not fit properly when I went to reinstall it. That can’t be, and it took me an embarrassing long time to deduce that I needed to put the truss hangers in place. D’oh!

OOSOBO will return from the reservoir in December, and I can drill out and re-pop rivet that HIN plate oopsie, and attend to anything else it needs.

“Mike you need to go all in on these.....”

Recped, I have a set. The utility thwart measuring scale on the FishFinder is stamped with those punches.

P1200025 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Up close you would notice that the 5 inch mark is stamped sideways. Me? Moi? Do something like that? Surely you jest. Seriously, I do a test stamp on a scrap piece of wood to make sure I have the punch properly oriented. Oopsie.

I guess stuff happens. DougD rebuilt a canoe with an OEM stamped HIN plate. Some of the numbers were stamped upside down at the factory.

Thanks, I should try those punches on a piece of brass.

Back