• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Hiawatha 15 Canoe build form

Reaction score
Hello folks,

I am fairly new to this group and am in the process of building a strip and epoxy Hiawatha 15 from Bear Mountain Boats. I am a couple weeks away from popping it off the form, and have decided that in the interest of helping out my fellow paddler, or would be builder, I'd like to give it away to one of you. First come, first serve.I don't want any money for it, but it needs to be picked up from my location as I have no way of transporting it. I am 40 min west of Toronto, Ontario. I can give more specifics to the lucky sole who wants it.

Just to be clear... this offer is for the form only. The canoe will stay with me. :)

Here is a link to Bear Mountain Boats web site for the Hiawatha. It's a nice little boat that I thought would fit my needs. As I said, I'm not finished yet, so time will tell.
http://www.bearmountainboats.com/pla...040&id=8201242

If any of you are interested, or think you might be interested, please PM me for more details. If you want pics, I can get them for you but my single car garage is a little full so they may not be the greatest.

Who's up for your next (or first) build?

Momentum

Last edited:
Have you considered donating it to the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association for their auction at the Annual Assembly.?. Rob Stevens lives in Hamilton and might be able to pick it up.

You could try posting your message on the WCHA Forums.. No membership is required.

http://forums.wcha.org/

Hey Yellow canoe. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll do that if there is no response here. Do they take items like this?

Oh yes. Donations are always welcome especially those with roots to canoe building. The final sale price is unknown. Sometimes forms go for a lot and sometimes a little. Funds realized go towards operation of the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association. Just a heads up. The Assembly is July 15 to 19 this year so if you don't get a speedy bite here, post there quick. This year is a celebration of modern wooden canoe builders and several people from Ontario are coming.

I believe Andre Cloutier is down in Burlington as well and he is the auctioneer for WCHA Assembly? YC can confirm that.

Any takers for this? If not, it will be dismantled and the station molds given away with the strong back material being put to use somewhere else.
I'm just trying to save someone out there quite a bit of work. Let me know :) Thanks

Any takers for this? If not, it will be dismantled and the station molds given away with the strong back material being put to use somewhere else.
I'm just trying to save someone out there quite a bit of work. Let me know :) Thanks
PM sent..

I'm sure you are aware that anyone else building a boat from this form is required to pay Bear Mountain a royalty...

Mihun, Actually didn't know that. I guess I assumed that if I give it to someone with no money changing hands, no harm no fowl. Is that not the case?
Shows how ignorant I am huh?

I built a Bear Mountain canoe a few years ago and it is in the literature somewhere that by purchasing the plans we get the right to build ONE boat. It is suggested that anyone building a second boat should send a royalty to Bear Mountain. Not sure it is legally required.

The easiest thing would be to call Ted.. maybe he will take the stations and donate to the WCHA.. or have other advice. It never hurts to call the right person.

Just an update...I called over to Bear Mountain boats and spoke to Joan. She informed me that since this was a one-off boat and not a production run, there was no need for royalties to be paid. So, we are free and clear.

Any takers for the forms?

BTW- Just started a thread about this build. If you are at all interested in DIY canoe building, go check it out. I hope to entertain and inform.

Momentum

Back