• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Hi Guys!

Reaction score
I recently got into a canoeing and have been having fun. The problem is my friends don't share my enthusiasm so I've turned to the Internet to talk canoes and canoeing.

Will you guys talk canoes, canoeing and camping with me? I hope so.

I'm on Long Island, NY and my other hobby is photography. I'm not very good at either hobby but I'm having fun trying.

Just saying hello,

Doug

I have a friend who is an accomplished paddler who lives near Bayshore LI and is looking for people to canoe with. He is a solo paddler.

Hi Hanz, I grew up in Commack, Long Island, back when it was all potato fields and empty roads. I think it's changed a little.
Have you tried the Nissequogue River in Smithtown, or the Carmans east of Patchougue, or the Peconic River in Riverhead? Nice paddles when I was there back when.
Anyway, Welcome, post some pictures when you get out there paddling.
Robin

Hi Hanz, I grew up in Commack, Long Island, back when it was all potato fields and empty roads. I think it's changed a little.
Have you tried the Nissequogue River in Smithtown, or the Carmans east of Patchougue, or the Peconic River in Riverhead? Nice paddles when I was there back when.
Anyway, Welcome, post some pictures when you get out there paddling.
Robin

Thanks Robin. I grew up in Greenlawn and a potato field was my back yard, LOL. You're right, it has changed.

I've paddled the Nissequogue a couple of times and have done all of the Peconic except the private section (inside of Peconic River Sportsmans Club). I took a canoeing lesson on the Carmans but we didn't paddle down or up it. I do have to get back there, it was nice. Where I was being taught you could smell a muskrat.

Here's a shot of my canoe with 300#s in it.

Loaded Keewaydin 15 by Hansen.Dougie, on Flickr

I'll be happy to share what I see when out in the canoe.

Where was the picture taken Hanz?

Duh, that would help. That's one of the sections of the Peconic River in Calverton NY. That spans between Edwards Ave to the East and Connecticut Ave to the West.

I was scheduled to head up the ADKs last week for some canoe camping and I just wanted to be sure there wouldn't be any surprises so I loaded up the canoe and took it for a paddle. It was great.

Unfortunately, the trip was cancelled due to the onslaught of wind that hit. I tried to make lemon aid by paddling some of Harriman State Park while camping at the ACA's camp on Lake Sebago.

Last edited:
Yes there was lots of wind and rain last week. But I have camped at the end of October at Little Tupper with Robin. HE had the hot tent. I hunkered in a cold tent but it was not that bad despite the changeable weather. I hope you can still fit an ADK trip into this fall season. Hanz, I would never have guessed Long Island NY was the place you were paddling! Thank you! I find your Northwoods grip on your paddle curious as usually paddles used that way are narrower. May I ask the brand/model of the paddle you are using in the picture? It is quite a beautiful paddle.

I love this pic of Robin during a day outing to Rock Lake from Little Tupper

Last edited:
That is a nice photo. I like the traditional canoe. I still haven't given up on the ADKs this year. I'll get there.

The paddle is a Bending Branches Beavertail. It was around $70.00. I do have a traditional streak and I wanted something wood. I like it too.

The reason for the unusual (for me) grip is that the water there is maybe 6"s deep and I simply can't paddle vertical so I get out of the launch area there with a series of sweeps. LI still can still look very beautiful in spots, the problem is escaping all the man made sound.

Yes there was lots of wind and rain last week. But I have camped at the end of October at Little Tupper with Robin. HE had the hot tent. I hunkered in a cold tent but it was not that bad despite the changeable weather.

I love this pic of Robin during a day outing to Rock Lake from Little Tupper

Hey, Thanks for that picture, it was a good time, nice memories with you and Ted, bad directions by me to the correct campsite.

Nice picture of you Hanz, I have many fond memories of paddling the Peconic with my then new wife, along with some of the salt water back bays out in eastern LI.
Greenlawn, LI was/is a nice town, my sister lived there for many years.

Back