• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

Hello from SC

Reaction score
Hi all. New here. Will mostly lurk and learn, but may contribute now and again when the mood strikes. Got my start canoeing and tripping one summer at Camp Keewaydin back in the early 70s, but discovered ball sports and stick sports (and girls) the following year and never went back. Still, the bug had bit and I’ve continued to get outdoors regularly with cycling and backpacking, and to paddle occasionally whenever there was a canoe and water available. Fast forward to a few years ago and I borrowed a friend’s kayak—the first one I’d ever been in that paddled in a straight line – and it made me remember that I really like paddling, and going places in a boat. Bought a kayak, and very quickly realized I’m a single-blade sort of person and currently own two canoes now as well that are my go to boats. Paddle locally when I can here in South Carolina, but really look forward to moving back to my hometown in New Hampshire in the next few years where I’ll have access to water pretty much out the front door.

Welcome, clemency, cool screen name!
What 2 boats do you have? Any photos?
And how about the paddling down there, any trips you want to describe?

Another Welcome !
And Don't be afraid to Jump Right In ! The water's fine !

Jim

Jim

Thanks. Boats are nothing special, but suit my needs and budget well. A Spirit II for when my wife wants to paddle with me, and a Wilderness for me, both royalex. Lot of interesting paddling nearby -- the Edisto River, the Congaree River, and the Wateree River are all blue trails -- but I'm tied pretty close to home so no tripping for me. Most of my paddling is on Cedar Creek in Congaree National Park, which is the largest remaining stand of virgin cypress swamp in the southeast (if not in the US), or on Lake Murray -- a multi-thousand acre reservoir. Lots of motorboats on Lake Murray, but there are nooks and crannies of quiet. Its on the wrong side of town, but I need to spend more time there.

Welcome.

One of my very top places I've ever paddled, especially in high water, is the Sparkleberry Swamp from Rimini Landing in South Carolina. I've been in there many times but still haven't explored all the northern areas. This is where the Congaree and Wateree join to form the Santee at the northern end of Lake Marion.

Rimini is about an hour from here. Just can't get used to swamps though. Working on it, but I'm not hopeful.

And hello NC. Was there today, though not as far up as Hickory.

Back