• Happy National Scotch [Whisky] Day! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🥃🚱

Hello from S. Florida

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have been low key looking for a used canoe for several years. Specifically, I was looking for a Northstar Northwind Solo.

Canoeing is not very popular in Florida. This is the land of kayaks and paddleboards. I tried to like kayaks, but I never could get comfortable with my legs inside the kayak. It was just too hot for me. A sit-on kayak was a non-starter for me. You might as well get a canoe instead of sitting on an enclosed boat with limited storage space. And don't get me started on Stand Up Paddleboards. I just don't see the point of them, aside from a form of exercise. (Sorry for the little rant. :)). In any case, finding a specific, nice, canoe in Florida is like looking for hen's teeth.

Anyway, I had just about given up looking for a used NW Solo and was starting to think about just buying new. I really didn't want to spend that kind of money, but in any case, summer is about to get underway in earnest here in Florida, so I figured I would just wait until fall once the weather cooled back down a bit and the bugs went back into hiding.

Having made peace with that decision, over Memorial Day weekend I see an ad for one here in Florida for a pretty good price. I message the seller, and he was willing to meet me halfway. Not looking a gift horse in the mouth, I jumped on it immediately. When I met the seller, he told me that he bought it new about six years ago, already had a pretty extensive canoe collection, and had not ever put this one in the water! He figured if he wasn't using it, he might as well sell it.

So now I own a canoe being wholly unprepared for one. I have a couple small projects planned and need to purchase some gear. I will start threads in the appropriate places for those.

As far as my canoeing background goes, I did quite a bit with the scouts as a kid, and have rented many canoes in the past. But I was looking to go places without nearby outfitters, and to eventually do some canoe camping. Most of my canoeing will be local to here, but I hope to eventually explore more locations in the general Southeast. My companion on most (all) of these trips will be my Border Collie, Lucy. My wife is not into this sort of thing, especially the non-hotel oriented camping.

I think I've maybe rattled on enough for now. I have enjoyed the threads I have read here so far and look forward to interacting with the brain trust.

John, welcome to site membership! Feel free to ask any questions and to post messages, photos and videos, and to start threads, in our many forums. Please read Welcome to CanoeTripping and Site Rules! Many of the site's technical features are explained in Features: Help and How-To Running Thread. We look forward to your participation in our canoe community.

We have several members from Florida and many of us have paddled there, including myself all over the state. There are several guidebooks outlining paddling trips in Florida. The DeLorme Florida Gazetteer has also been helpful to me. Yes, kayaks, SOTs and SUPs dominate canoes in Florida, but a canoeist can usually join trips run by local canoe or kayak clubs and Meetup groups.

Welcome. Congratulations on finding yourself such a great canoe.

I am also in south Florida, and I used to have a border collie named Lucy.

There is a lot of good canoeing around. Yes, all the yakkers and paddle boards are the rage, but it is possible to find places where they are not so many. Are you looking to paddle in salt water or inland?

Great boat! I’m in Tallahassee, and there’s a lot of great paddling to be done in between us.

We have several members from Florida and many of us have paddled there, including myself all over the state. There are several guidebooks outlining paddling trips in Florida. The DeLorme Florida Gazetteer has also been helpful to me. Yes, kayaks, SOTs and SUPs dominate canoes in Florida, but a canoeist can usually join trips run by local canoe or kayak clubs and Meetup groups.

Yep, there are several groups around here that is a mix of kayaks and SUPs. Most (all) of the outfitters around here are strictly renting out kayaks now.

I'll look for that DeLorme publication. I have a book called "Florida by pack and paddle" that I bought as a teenager. It looks like all the paddle locations in that book (If I remember it's about a dozen) are still available, so I plan to work my way through those, too.

Congrats on finding your canoe—and I think you'll find the Northwind Solo an excellent first solo canoe, especially once you start camping with it! Hope you'll share your adventures with us here!

Thanks, I plan to. Lord knows most of the people I know won't want to hear me drone on about the trips. :)

I am also in south Florida, and I used to have a border collie named Lucy.

I can tell you are a person of great intelligence and wit. It takes someone like that to keep a BC from training you!

I'm hoping to have a quick transition into the canoe for her. I will do a bit of land-based training with before we hit the water. I think she'll be fine. She rides in the car well with me, and she absolutely loves the water. I'm a little worried she may try to jump out to go for a swim.

There is a lot of good canoeing around. Yes, all the yakkers and paddle boards are the rage, but it is possible to find places where they are not so many. Are you looking to paddle in salt water or inland?

I plan on doing both. No plans for any paddling on large open bodies of water, but it's hard to avoid the salt water around here.

Great boat! I’m in Tallahassee, and there’s a lot of great paddling to be done in between us.

There sure is! I hope to get to all the good locations around the state.

Back