• Happy National Bugs Bunny Day (1938)!❓⬆️👨🏼‍⚕️

Hello from NC

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
They call me Hermit.I'm from a little south of most of you,,down in ole NC.
I've been lurking around this site a while and thought I would join in a bit.I enjoy paddling and camping and have found this site quite informative.I hope to learn from you all as well as maybe shed some secrets of the south with you.I also enjoy metal detecting which has brought me back to canoeing so I can get to spots unexplored.I live in an area rich with history of pirates,wars and such that kindles the imagination of a child,but takes the fortitude of a man to explore. Our rivers are deep and swift and the ocean needs no explanation, which is why I love learning as much as I can about paddling and camping.Look forward to interacting with all you.

Hi Hermit, welcome, I am also from the ole north state. Hickory to be exact. Contact me maybe we can get together.

Hellow Hermit. I have a non paddling related question. Is Mid May good time for rhodos and azaleas on the Blue Ridge? Hoping the snow is gone. I always try banging my head against that road in mid March and get blocked north and south of Asheville.

Thanks for the welcome.
I'm down on the coastal areas mostly.As far as the flora goes,we are blooming in April around the coast.I would guess maybe a little later in the mountain regions.I am paddling in really deep and really wide open waters.That unfortunately also includes many cargo ships and the like.There are tides and waves to deal with also.There are really no rapids or rocks,but plenty of currents and wind to deal with. There are a lot of brackish waters to explore in this region.There are many river and intracoastal barrier islands to camp and explore.I know,,I know,,but it is what it is.

Hi Hermit. If your avatar pic is any clue (and you didn't die under mysterious circumstances in 1972) I'd say you're right in my backyard. Bruce Watkins used to say that there was a very small stretch of whitewater way up Shaken Creek in Holly Shelter and another stretch on Shelter Creek up around Maple Hill. I've never seen either, myself but . . .

YC, Mid-May is probably a little early for Rhodo in Pisgah NF, but would normally be about right for Flame Azalea and Mountain Laurel at elevation. Earlier lower.

Back