• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Hello from Maine

G

Hi,

I just joined, and wanted to introduce myself. I've read most of the threads that this forum has to offer, and have been really excited to see the knowledge, enthusiasm, and respect that all of you folks share.

I have been paddling for just a couple years, and have found myself slightly obsessed with it...nothing new to anyone here I'm sure.

I learned on an Old Town Camper, but traded it in and currently paddle a Mad River Courier. Last weekend I finally got to use the Courier as it was intended, whitewater tripping- me and a friend, 2 boats, on a 2 day trek on the St. Croix here in Maine (or there in Canada). It was low 40's during the day, in the 20's at night, and our last 4 hours of paddling was through a pretty good snow fall- exactly what we were hoping for!
The water was really low (they closed the dang a couple days before we arrived), but the water was moving (only had to wade twice for a total of about 6 feet), and the rapids where very fun to navigate, and great for learning with no real threat of swamping (that there was some cold water!). I look forward to spring when it will be a completely different river!

woops, this turned into a trip report, not an introduction.

Typically I'm on flatwater, cause it's close. I live right by Nequasset lake in Woolwich. It's been a great place to learn, and a really nice place to spend a day.

While I continue to learn and get more efficient at basic strokes, my next goal (obsession) is to learn poling. What a great way to move a canoe!

Oh, here comes Mr. Bossman. I should at least appear to be working!

Thanks for reading. I look forward to "talking" with you folks more.

Best,
Chris
"easypaddler"

Welcome and if you see a truck with a surfski on it today wave, We will be driving right by Nequasset Lake. I have never paddled there though I have paddled Hanson Bay many times and the Kennebec of course. We used to help run the AMC kayak facility in Georgetown,

Always good to see a new canoe poler enter the ranks! Welcome! Too bad you don't still have that Camper...the Courier isn't exactly the best canoe to pole in. Too narrow, not enough stability or room to move about. Although if you do learn in it, and actually get proficient in it, you'll pretty much be able to pole anything that floats!

-Chuck

yellowcanoe- I'll keep my eyes out! I haven't ventured to Hanson Bay, but I plan to...one of those days when I can just meander away from Nequasset and see where it takes me!

riverstrider- I wouldn't call myself a poler yet, but I will be. I hear you on the Courier, and although I plan on owning more boats (who here owns just one?), I do want to learn in that boat as well...just as you said, I'll pretty much be able to pole anything, right? It's not poling, but I have done a bunch of paddling standing in my boat...we'll see. I'll get wet trying, but I'm gonna try!!

Thank you both for the warm welcome!

Hi easypaddler,
That sounds like quite the trip down the St Croix last weekend, late in the season and finishing up in snow...., I really have had some good trips in Maine, lucky you for being right there with all that great paddling in your backyard.

My daughter is just up the road in Hope, Maine, lovely area and I always try to have a canoe with me when I visit.

Welcome!

On a side note if it weren't for the bump at the railroad tracks we could have gone through Wiscasset tonight at 60 mph. As anyone who has traveled through there in the summer, that ain't happening then.

yellowcanoe- rte.1 is a sh@# show in the summer (to be blunt)! and the bridge by red's eats? wow! railroad crossings are also known as launch pads in Maine!

Hanz- thank you for the welcome. I look forward to figuring out the photo option on this forum. I also need to get better at taking photos...I tend to just keep paddling. I came back from the Allagash in October, friends asked where the pictures where...I said that they can come along next time and see everything for themselves! I appreciate everyone else's photos so much (they get me itchin' to paddle!), I do need to return the favor. Thank again!

I grew up on the Sheepscot and haven't been back in years. It's good to read that Red's Eats is still there. I'm landlocked in Indiana and would give my eye-teeth for a crab roll.

Easypaddler, the Sheepscot is a wonderful poling river to learn on from Whitefield to Alna.. I don't have a rubber tandem though. However the Maine Canoe Symposium always feature lots of poling clinics (boats supplied) and you can link up with polers that live in your area and may have boats to spare.

The Courier is going to leave you a little short of space.. polers sometime have a stance with one foot a little in back of the other. It is worth trying however..

I do have a mostly unused pole . 12 foot alu.

Last edited:
I am definitely going to take advantage of the MCS...they seem like such a good resource. I've been eying the Sheepscot!!

I've seen a video of two guys poling in Wenonah C-1 boats...that gave me some encouragement to give the courier a go. They where not going up rapids though.

I would be interested in the aluminum pole for sure.

Red's Eats is as big as ever. All summer there are traffic cops that stop all the massachusetts and connecticut plates to make sure people can get in line...it's nuts!!

Back