• Happy International Museum Day!🏛️ 🖼️🏺

Hello from China

Reaction score
I am currently in Shanghai visiting my daughter and here is an interesting observation - the government restricts social media sites, no Facebook, no Instagram, no Google search, no Gmail but I can get canoetripping.com!
So far I haven't found a canoe to rent, kayaks but no canoe.

What's with that China, no canoes? I bet those Chinese folks wouldn't like it if they couldn't get a plate of General Tso's Chicken here in Anytown USA. :rolleyes:

Enjoy, hope it's a good trip visiting your daughter.

Go paddling anyway. It would be for me a neat experience no matter the type of craft. Kayaks are made in China....(now opening another can of worms)

Take pics of the watercraft while you are there, and post here !

I have a retired school teacher friend that travels extensively, and he always take watercraft pics for me !
I love it !!!

Jim

PS. Dragon boating is a Big Time thing in China !

Shoot. Well the first link shows some poling of long bamboo rafts, and the second is poling just one long bamboo(?)...what would you call that? Looks more like a log than a pole. When you follow those links, you also start seeing a lot of canoes, but most of what I was seeing were in Myanmar (I love their canoes!). Surely, there must be some canoes where you are though.

So far have only seen barges, ferries, cruise ships and ocean vessels on the large river and nothing on the smaller one. Have spent most of the time in the big city, will be heading to Beijing tomorrow.

Yow, I thought Beijing was the big city.. How wrong I was.. how little I know.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_in_China_by_population_and_built-up_area

More in one built up area than all the population of Canada

Yeah and that was 6 years ago. More people living in my daughters building than in a 10 mile radius of my home. I don't mind visiting but don't think I would like living here. Haven't seen the sky at all even though it has been "clear" and sunny.

We had a Chinese student stay with us for a while. She couldn't get over the freedom my step daughter had with her own car and the places she took her. We took her to the woods, she had only seen a small wood lot near her grandparents. She was amazed that we could walk there without getting lost. She wouldn't eat the mushrooms we found.

Back