• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Hello from Central Texas

G

Greetings! I haven't been in a canoe in who knows how long, but recently I decided it was time for a little recreational change from the popup camping we've been doing the last few years. I recently managed to acquire a Pelican Dakota canoe and a week later a generous friend gave me his 15.6 foot Coleman canoe. Since I have six kids of various ages, two canoes is a good thing :)

Anyway, since we haven't canoed as a family and I have not been on the water myself for over 10 years, we'll start slow and take the boat(s) out on local lakes. We'll eventually work up to some river floats, but ultimately I would love to be able to go out for some multi-day trips.

I live in Central Texas which limits my options compared to what I see everyone else enjoying up north, but there are some interesting places I have read about around here already.

I recently managed to acquire a Pelican Dakota canoe and a week later a generous friend gave me his 15.6 foot Coleman canoe.

Well, now that I've read some posts on here today, the two canoes I acquired are two of the dirtiest word canoes mentioned here...lol.

Oh well, we will give 'em a shot and maybe eventually unload them both for a better one. I just figured I couldn't beat 2 canoes for $200 total. Sink or swim...here we go!

Hi Tex, and welcome. So you’ve stumbled upon a couple dirty words, Ha! Never mind, load up the kids and go. Get wet and have fun. Six kids of different ages = lots of paddlers/helpers.
Stay safe,
Brad

You might look into paddling some sections of the Brazos River? There are parts that are pretty nice. Like you said ... a few lakes to paddle. How far south are you?

dd

I won't worry about those canoes. The important thing is to get your kid exposed to canoeing and the woods. Use'm, Abuse'm, and have fun with'm. My son loves them. He's paddled the Allagash River in up state Maine for the past 6 years in a Coleman. And if you can get to the Great North, we paddle the Allagash the last full week in June and we'd be happy to paddle with your dirty word canoes.

You might look into paddling some sections of the Brazos River? There are parts that are pretty nice. Like you said ... a few lakes to paddle. How far south are you? dd

I live near Austin and there are plenty of lakes/ponds around here we can play in. I've watched several videos of folks paddling down the Brazos and the Colorado so I know there is joy to be had. We just need to get some experience under our belts and make it happen :)

Thanks for the welcome from everyone thus far.

I wish the SW Canoe and Kayak Rendezvous would be resurrected. It used to be just outside Huntsville and after hydrilla choked off the lake moved to Sugarland. Now its gone and I have lost touch with Texas.

There is a big adventure canoe race there, right? And welcome!

There is a big adventure canoe race there, right? And welcome!

There are two that I know of:

1) Texas Water Safari: http://www.texaswatersafari.org/ (June)
“They don’t call the Texas Water Safari The World’s Toughest Canoe Race’ for nothing. In addition to the length, the challenges include whitewater rapids, multiple portages, and the relentless, soul-sapping Texas heat. Competitors have four days and four hours to paddle from San Marcos, in the center of the state, to the shy little town of Seadrift on the Gulf Coast. There is no prize money for the winners; just Texas-size bragging rights for the finishers.”

2) Colorado River 100: http://www.coloradoriver100.com/ (August)
This 100 mile marathon canoe race and adventure challenge down the scenic Colorado River will test your mental and physical strength, while giving you some of the best views the river has to offer. The Colorado River 100 starts in the historic city of Bastrop and finishes 100 miles down river in the majestic town of Columbus.

One a side note, I have found information about a Corpus Christi PaddleFest (happening this weekend actually)...

Last edited:
Back