• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Hello from Barrie Ontario Canada

Reaction score
Hi All
Found this forum a while back and have been stalking ever since (OK so I am pretty sure I have read every post). What a great resource of information. Finally got around to registering a few months ago and thought it was time I introduced myself and although I do not say much, it's time I started taking a more active role here.
Took my first paddle, and my first night paddle when I was 15 and drifted away from canoes for a bit but over the last 5 years or so I am back full time and moving forward.
So far there is a fiberglass tandem and after her first multi day trip, not so shiny new Swift Osprey in the garage and negotiations are ongoing with my Wife to add to the collection.

Cheers
Rob

Last edited:
Hi Rob H, Welcome! I can't help but ask, and I'm sorry if it's a worn out joke, but what's up with the name of your town? I'm a little familiar with "Beriberi" but I can't imagine naming where you live from that??
Or were you visited by the author of Peter Pan and it was so special that they said his name twice?
Or maybe somebody asked "How cold does it get here in the winter?" And the answer was.........

Anyways, Welcome!!
However you do present something of a problem: We've got Memaquay, who is Rob and is the bonafide real deal in canoeing.
Then there's me, raggedy arse second place, also know as Rob. To avoid confusion sometimes know as "Rob TOR (the other rob)
Now here you are, I'm sure you can see the problem. :p:p:p

Best Wishes and Welcome!
Rob
(tor)

Hello. Welcome aboard. I lived for 10 years near Barrie now settle about 20 hour drive north(ish) from there in Ontario.

Oldie Moldy, I too have gone by that name Rob for most of my 44 years. Which reminds me of a story about a canoe trip of sorts I took with 3 guys I didn't know. One went by Robert, one by Bob and myself as Rob which as you know are variations of Robert all of our formal names. When we went to register for the flight they asked our middle names and it was at that point we discovered we all had the same middle name as well as first names. It was somewhat eerie thinking about getting onto a plane with 2 other guys with the exact same name as me.

I had six Rob's in my grade six class. The teacher decided she would call several of us by our middle names. I had the unfortunate circumstance of receiving my grandfather's middle name, Grenville. When the teacher got to me, she said "we're just going to call you Robert".

Welcome aboard Rob, drove through Barrie about a week ago, looks like some nice country around there, lots of hardwoods.

Thanks for the kind welcomes all. Looks like I will be known as "Rob from Barrie" around here. Rob (Oldie Moldy) as Rob also pointed out, the name of my town is just "Barrie" not sure how I managed that one and I am beginning to see where another Rob will cause a little more confusion.

Red that is a great story but eerie might be a bit of an undersatement, did anyone ask when the others birthdays were?

Again just wanted to say thanks for the welcome, now back to packing for next weekend.

Cheers
Rob from Barrie

Goodness Red that sounds like the start of a story from the twilight zone! So then what happened? Please don't tell me that life went back to normal.

So Very Berrie Rob, you're packing for next weekend, just guessing here but maybe a canoe trip? Any trip report would be very gratefully received if you feel like it. I've been anchored here at home most of the summer and have been living vicariously through others trip reports.

Best Wishes, OM

P.S. Hmm....Grenville...Grenville....got to remember that, it might prove useful.

PP.S. Keep getting this "Invalid Server Response" alarm, is that what happened to the famous Lois Lerner computer? If so Robin, sell it to the news people and we'll never have to do a fund raiser again!

Not much of a trip really.
Just an overnight to an access lake in Algonquin. More to get out of the house and clear my head a bit.

Cheers
Rob from Barrie

Even though I drop by a few times a week I have not posted anything in 4 years so I thought it was well past the time I reintroduced myself and make an effort to actually start taking part around here.
Other than a few years older and closer to retirement, not much has changed for me. Trying to get the house ready to sell and make the move North, away from the rat race that Southern Ontario has become and enjoy something a little quieter. Current life goals revolve around moving and spending my retirement opening up some of the abandoned canoe routes in Northern Ontario.
I see Mem (Rob) is still around but wondering how many Rob's there are here now.

Hey Rob,

Currently located in Northern Alberta but my parents live on Lake Simcoe at Hawkestone and I store a couple of my canoes there. I'm a cedar canvas guy: Chestnut Prospector, 16 foot Langford and 15 foot Richardson project are taking up space there.
Get back at least a few times a season to paddle the waters of central Ontario. Definitely some of the nicest paddling in the world.

Cheers!
Bruce

Pook I am 1 exit south of Barrie a 20 minute walk from Lake m and yes, I am fortunate that there are some great local areas to dip a paddle in.

Memaquay should not be as confusing then (see oldie mouldy's post above). By the way, I am the guy who was asking about firewood such on Facebook.

Back