• Happy Cinco De Mayo! 🇲🇽🎸💃🪅🌶️

Headwaters Canoe opinions ...

Reaction score
I have always liked the lines on their boats, especially the Cruiser. It is a bit narrow and deep. Does anyone have any experience paddling their boats? I have not found much out there on them. I did speak with Hugh, he was pretty helpful. So, have any of you paddled one?

Bob.

Most of their boats are made on original Chestnut molds so you are getting a great design. You are paying double what a GOOD used original is going to cost you though. I guess it is all perspective. There are not likely a lot of them around your way but if you were north of Toronto they are popping out of the woodwork. Just look on Kijiji this spring to see what I mean. Check to see what is for sale down your way, you may stumble on a real nice Old Town. If I am not mistaken Stewart River boatworks is near you also.

old chestnuts for sure -- i'm tempted to add one of their cruisers to my mix... don't know that i've paddled one of 'their' boats - but done lots of miles in sibling boats out of new-brunswick -- the molds and lines are pretty classic and time-tested...

Well, after talking with Hugh and Jamie at Headwaters over a few weeks, about their canoes and especially the Cruiser that I have lusted after for a good long while ... I will not be getting it. Because I tend to trip with my dog Jake now, as well as some other factors, they have effectively convinced me that the canoe I need is their 15 foot prospector. After assurances that this canoe is built on the Chestnut Ranger form and does not paddle like a bathtub, I got on the build list. So hopefully, early this spring I will have a canoe that Jake and I will love to use ... and will not be 84 pounds like my other boat. If all goes well, I will have pics to post around ice out.

Bob.

Nice canoe from what I have read, my Chum is 15' but it would be tight tripping with a dog, so I think you made a wise choice with the wider Ranger, plus those Prospector ends are sooooo nice looking,
Looking forward to seeing pictures of it.

when i first contemplating moving to wood canvas, the ranger was recommended to me. i ended up with a chum a couple years later, after i lost my tremblay. a couple years ago a sudden two-week solo found me and my sled-dog in a (fiberglass) prospector 15 -- i loved it, tho with the (large) dog and two packs, it was a little snug. but a better boat for me than the chum. these days i'm in a prospector 16 for tandem and solo -- it's roomy solo, and somewhat wind-prone, but that's not a problem...just an observation. am currently contemplating a 17' cruiser as a solo/tandem (with dog) -- but only because i have a chum, a prospector, and a freighter already...the prospector isn't the fastest boat around, but it is one of the all-around sweetest most versatile shapes out there...and i hate to say it, i avoided them for years...

Good for you to pull the plug on a W/C!! One day, hopefully for my 45th bd I will do the same... I'm looking into getting a Kildonan Timber Cruiser, made by Douglas Ingram. What are the spec of the one you are getting, I would like to have some details, like ribs width, are you going half ribs, what wood for the gunnels, spruce and oak, cherry, ash.....

Cheers

Canoetrouge

The canoe will not have half ribs. Also, the ribs on most of their canoes are 3/8th thick ... but because I kneel, they will be 5/16th and quarter sawn to be nearly as strong as the thicker 3/8 ribs but comfortable on my knees. I believe they are 2 3/4 wide ( not positive) with 2 inch spacing. My canoe will be a grade 2 model, so nothing fancy, it is for serious back county work and a dog jumping in and out. I was really leaning towards the bush model, but I like seeing wood too much, and decided against the paint in favor of regular old varnish. So I think the ribs and planking are white cedar,and the gunnels are spruce with ash thwarts, decks and seat frames. Seats will be Babiche lacing. I know the canvas is #8 duck. I am thinking hard about the buterate filler. It is said to be a few pounds lighter, but MUCH more durable than paint.

I am working hard on my knee. I can bend it better, but still can't kneel. I believe in a few months i will be able to not only bend it enough to paddle, but I will be strong enough to portage a canoe and pack together. At that point, I am back in business man! I can't wait to get back out there.

I am leaning to the "Lichen" color Hugh invented ... it is a very light green, to match the color of Lichens.

The Kildonan Timber Cruiser sounds like an awesome canoe. I have only seen pics but it looks like a great tripper, and a fast one at that.

Bob.

I have seen Doug's Timber Cruiser up close and personal when it was back for some repair work and that is one awesome canoe. Very decievingly large but with fine entry. Excellent tandem or family sized canoe for extended trips. I missed an original earlier this year but will keep looking. There have to be more of them out there still.
A 15 foot Ranger sounds pretty exciting too. Good choice on the varnish instead of paint. I like paint on a frieghter interior but not as much on a smaller canoe.

Christy

Is this your canoe Bob? It's a 15' Prospector in the shop today per Facebook. What a nice canoe.

15%252527%252520pros%2525202.jpg

15%252527%252520%252520prospector.jpg

15%252527%252520pros%2525201.jpg

Robin,

Holly Crap I hope so!! My gosh Robin, that is an exciting set of photos you have posted! I know they do not build many 15 footers, so heck there is good chance it is my boat. I don't do social media, so I never even thought to look there. Oh man, how am I gonna sleep tonight?! Thanks for posting this Robin, my boat or not, I am gonna drool over this page until spring.

Bob.

Back