• Happy "Killer Rabbit" Attacks President Carter in His Paddle Boat (1979)! 🚣🏼‍♂️🐇

Have You Ever Had To Be Rescued/Evacuated On A Canoe Trip

I have them....not ready to share at this time but no fires were involved!

I have arranged numerous medical evacuations for students but never been evacuated myself. We were headed up North for four days to clear ports but fire situation is intense right now three new ones last night within 4 kilometres of where we would be, so taking a rain check for now.

No evacs from a canoe trip... (Haven't tripped that much yet) More miniature disasters, minor catastrophes, such as hypothermia on an 80+ degree day - though a power boat was involved in that one.

OP is more what rescue stories should be... properly prepared group being aware of their surroundings and making sensible decisions when conditions change. All too many stories are about people who pushed far beyond sane limits for their abilities or gear.

That incident in Manitoba says that the guys "Lost their boat" - I think both canoes in that picture were part of the rescue effort.

I was going to say no, never, but we were evacuated once, although not exactly “rescued”. And I need to try some photos as the new me.

That evaacuation was, per Sailsman, about making sensible decisions when conditions changed. “Properly prepared”, eh, maybe not; I didn’t know what a weather radio was back then.

In the late ’70’s we were on an Assateague trip. The weather forecast was not a large part of our planning; I don’t know if there was a 10-day or long range forecast circa 1978. T’weren’t no internet; at best I may have checked a newspaper or TV weather at home the day before and said “Looks OK, let go”.

We had paddled in, hopping sites, and our third day’s campsite was at Jim’s Gut”, an eponymous named site, set in gut at the back of a miles-wide, funnel shaped bay. Which, for reasons, no longer exists.

Arising on day 4 the weather was wet, windy and weird. The Jim’s Gut landform started to get weird, and oddly wetter. Set back in a gut the small piney hummock the site began to diminish in size as the ever increasing winds drove more water into the marsh. Way too windy to contemplate paddling further on to a better site, we hunkered down with our clam rakes and beverages.

Next morning Jim’s Gut was significantly reduced in size, and no longer attached to the island. There was 100 yards of ankle deep water between the site and the beachfront dunes. We still had some food and, more plentifully, remaining beverages, so we stayed hunkered down.

Clamming in the bayside waves became difficult, and we could have used taller waders, but continued foraging for sustenance at that point seemed a wise choice. Ok, we didn’t have a clue about the tastiness of the more easily collected bankside mussels.

EK_0008 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

We eventually got better at that shellfish foraging stuff; recognizing likely clam beds and learning to scrub off and rinse the mussels in a bucket of bay water, replacing the water a couple times ‘til mussel filtered clear to expel the marsh-mud favor. Those mussels become salty delicious when steamed open. I’m usually not much of a shellfish fan, but clams and mussels, plucked an hour before from the water, not trucked from days away, are akin to fresh caught fish. A world of difference.

That evening a 4WD Ranger vehicle splashed across the newfound shallow waters towards our site. The Ranger hopped out and said “This nor’easter isn’t quitting anytime soon, we’re gonna come in tomorrow morning with a trailer and evacuate you folks”.

(BTW, with the rise of “My pinkie toe has a boo boo, come get me” cell phone calls they do not do that anymore. We could have abandoned the canoes & gear and hiked out along the beachfront. Long ugly hike in beach sand, but do-able)

Down to a few beers, a half bottle of Tequila, a lot of clams and not much other remaining food, we were agreeable with that plan. All you can eat steamed clams on a paltry bed of noodles with shots of tequila for dinner that evening. Late that night someone invented clam & tequila shooters; I don’t much like Tequila to start with, and when it has a wad of snot floating in it even less so, but I ramble.

Next morning the Ranger waded across and said “We’re not going to try to take the trailer across this, just paddle over to the beach and we’ll pick you up there”.

The second most memorable part of that evacuation was paddling the 100 windswept yards to the beach. My bowman was my no-paddle-propulsion backpacking partner Jim. He must have put his back into it for a change, we got across fine.

Different trip, but this was the most help Jim ever provided. Mush, Jim, mush!

EK_0027 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

(Eh, we were not familiar with tide tables at the time either)

Half way across to the dunes we heard from the trailing canoe. My other B-packing partner Brian had his then girlfriend in the bow. He had brought her on a previous Assateague trip, she was not much help then either.

EK_0029 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

But, on previous trips, we had been favored with fine weather, even the occasional no-work, tie-the-canoes-together tailwind have a beer free ride. Perhaps leading us to believe this was a wonderfully benevolent paddling venue. ALSG might say otherwise.

EK_0029 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Best friend Brian seated near beside me in his own canoe, sipping a beer, probably a bowl tucked in there somewhere, laid back doing little work. The best of times.

Brian was a gentle, quiet and soft spoken sort who wouldn’t say crap if he stepped it. We suddenly heard him uncharacteristically bellow (and I remember his exact words, they became a phrase comically repeated over the years) “JESUS F$#&ING CHRIST, GIVE ME SOMETHING TO WORK WITH!”

We looked; they were pointed 90 degrees in the wrong direction, and not faring well sideways in the waves. Brian did annunciate every word crisply and clearly.

The funnest part of the trip was the evacuation ride back. Canoes on the trailer the four of us piled our gear in the truck bed and clambered in what space remained. The Rangers drove us down the (presume they timed the “evacuation”) firm, low tide Atlantic beachfront. We had saved a few beers.

The Rangers, seeing we were enjoying the chauffeured ride, began occasionally veering down into the shallow surf, tires spraying water everywhere, making us whoop and holler all the more.

I haven’t done a lot of 4-wheeling on the beach, but all of the other times pale in comparison to that joyful “rescue” ride.

Great story, McCrea! Why is there a new you?

Michael, I had planned to turn over a new leaf, and posting relies of 100 words or less under a new name. Crap, that plan didn’t last long; I enjoy storytelling too much. I’m still trying.

The number of adventures and mis-adventures at Assateague are legion. Many, many screwed up, windbound or late arriving companions commando camped in the marsh tales.

The closest I have ever come to abandoning a canoe and walking back was at Assateague, and that was on a day trip from base camp when crap turned impossibly windy.

Counting this notation that is exactly 100 words.

There may be hope for me yet. Dang it, now 111.

Kathleen and I moved from British Columbia to Preeceville, here in east central Saskatchewan, to live more rurally, and to enjoy long, cold winters. We also adopted five, older sled dogs from our friends Alan and Marilyn, who were moving to Prince Albert, and would not be able to keep their dogs

This completely changed our lives, as we devoted ourselves to the dogs, three of which were nine, and two were eleven. By 2014, Slick was the only dog left, and we very much wanted to go on a canoe trip. It had been such a long hiatus. Marilyn agreed to come look after Slick, and we planned a trip on the Paull River (yes, it has two “Ls”) in central Saskatchewan, part of the Churchill River system. It was the closest wilderness tripping river we could find in Archer’s book, “Northern Saskatchewan Canoe Trips.”

filedata/fetch?filedataid=19422
wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

We put together this itinerary, and headed north, brimming with excitement. The itinerary shows quite a few portages. But that’s ok. As long as we’re floating down rivers, we don’t mind portages.

2A116077-5BC8-4693-9BDC-B4580806CE72.jpeg

We stood on the float plane dock in Missinipe on July 25, preparing to Fly tp Paull Lake, as recommended by Archer.

4C53AC40-C29D-4F18-9001-DC8F3CDF4430.jpeg

The boreal forest looked beautiful, and we looked forward to our first trip in way too many years.

E15196CC-3662-4875-8CDA-FAD11E2DDFE4.jpeg

But the Paull River didn’t really look like a river. We like rivers!

E90FA29D-FA8B-4B53-B066-A31D35223C7C.jpeg

Morning on July 27. Cooking our standard bannock breakfast.

25780B5B-A9B9-4959-88CA-B3A161FD5578.jpeg

July 27 at Tuck Falls. All the campsites were taken. In fact we had seen a lot of other people, not only canoeists, bu also holidayers at their cabins. Not the wilderness experience we had been seeking. I have a new spray cover from Northwater. It unzips in the centre so you can portage without removing it. It added a lot of weight, and I badly sprained my ankle on only the second portage.

760C23EA-9306-49DE-A917-BC39AA2E37D0.jpeg

The Paull River was actually a series of lakes, interrupted by unscoutable drops. The portages were covered in blowdown. There was no current in the lakes at all. Reeds we’re being blown back “upstream” in even a gentle breeze. Sometimes had difficulty finding the outlet.

D8FCCA72-FD41-4548-A47B-AF50ECA46E10.jpeg

Preparing for another portage. My ankle is getting worse by the hour. I can barely move. We planned to stop early, but the potential camp was covered in garbage. We continued on to the intended camp on the first big island in McIntosh Lake. We also spent the next day there, watching and hearing fishing boats roaring around. My ankle didn’t really recover during our rest day.

After paddling an hour or so the next morning, Kathleen said, “There’s a fishing lodge at the bottom of this lake. Your ankle’s worse, and the longest portages are coming up. Why don’t we stop and ask if we can use their sat phone to call for the floatplane.”

“That’s a lot like giving up, Kathleen.”

”Do you like it here?”

”No.”

”Me neither. Let’s call.”

So we beached our canoe in front of the lodge, and told them our story.

”Would you like a coke while you’re waiting for the plane.”

”No, but I’d love a beer!”

So that’s the story. Was I rescued? Not really. It was more like I bailed. But I don’t feel bad about it. We stopped in La Ronge on the way home to replace the bear banger we lost while crawling around and through downed trees on the portage trails. We told our story to the owner.

”Well, at least you avoided the mud portage from heck.”

(Note: I thought long and hard about not posting this, as most Saskatchewan paddlers I know love this trip. Archer has done it many times. It just didn’t work out for us. We are not drop-and-pool kind of paddlers. We love rivers.)

Attachments

• E15196CC-3662-4875-8CDA-FAD11E2DDFE4.jpeg
    E15196CC-3662-4875-8CDA-FAD11E2DDFE4.jpeg
    113.1 KB · Views: 1
(Note: I thought long and hard about not posting this, as most Saskatchewan paddlers I know love this trip. Archer has done it many times. It just didn’t work out for us. We are not drop-and-pool kind of paddlers. We love rivers.)

Not every trip has to be everyone's cup of tea but, at least in my opinion, it's certainly OK to post trip reports where the venue fell short of your expectations. Others' expectations may be different and their enjoyment may vary accordingly (different stroke for different folks).

We just had to use my inReach last month on Eagle Lake. We were paddling out of Smith Brk headed to Pumphandle when we started seeing gear and paddles floating on the shoreline then an overturned canoe about 40' out from the shoreline hung up on some rocks with a huge cooler and dry bags tied to it. I hit the SOS and was asked a few questions by the operator on the other end of the line. The last one was, "Is anyone hurt?". I typed in "? found overturned canoe not us". He came back with, 'help on the way', and in less than a 1/2 hour we had a floatplane overhead.
Long story, short 8 paddlers in 4 canoes visited the Trains, and then paddled towards Farm Island with a strong wind out of the West. They got close enough to read the site sign when a squall blew in and dumped all four canoes. It's a mile+ swim from the island to where they all landed.
A Game Warden and an Allagash Ranger came up from Churchill Dam in the 60hp Boston Whaler to help them out.
I was very impressed with the inReach. Now I need to link it to a phone to make the messaging easier and a LOT quicker

Was I rescued? Not really. It was more like I bailed.

Not much happening on the board, so some thread drift about calling it quits on a trip. I can’t manage a 100 word response about that topic.

We have called it quits on a few trips. Once before we ever wet a canoe; insane coastal winds with gale warnings at the launch for three straight days, fortunately we were hunkered down was a nearby bayside campground. The morning of day 3 we decided screw this, let’s head inland, a decision we should have arrived at on day 2.

Eh, actually that happened twice; the other time was out west when the whatever-Spanish-word winds blew so fiercely as to pick up pea sized pebbles and lofted them into the van’s sliding door track (which was never the same) while sandblasting the paint. We only waited there for one day, but it had taken us two days, and two long dirt road attempts, to get in to the launch.

Called it quits after a single day at a park with designated, reservable sites. There was some loophole in the new reservation system that year which people briefly exploited; you could reserve sites and, if you cancelled 24 hours in advance pay only some $5 fee, and pay nothing if cancelled a week or two ahead.

With a maximum last minute $5 penalty cheaters had reserved every decent site months in advance. We had, against my better judgment, reserved the last open site on the first lake along our route long before we left on a multi-week, multi-State road trip. I knew better; if there is but a single site left there is a reason, and you usually don’t want it.

It was one of the worst situated sites I have ever set a tent on. Steep, weedy overgrown site on a muddy hillside, with a sloping postage stamp barely large enough for a single tent, and buggy as heck to boot. We set up there anyway, and quickly fled to the canoe to cruise unbitten around the lake for a looksee.

Every other supposedly “reserved” site on the lake was unoccupied. Some were glorious; out on a breezy point amid the tall pines, beautiful vistas, no bugs. Also no tents, no canoes, no people.

I found out about the reservation loophole post-trip, but was more than a little WTF annoyed at the time, and that episode left me with a lingering bad taste for “reservable” sites unless I am familiar with a particular site selected in advance.

We have been burned twice with the first-come, first serve, flip-a-tag on the board from unoccupied-to-occupied at Stillwater Reservoir in the Adirondacks. That was 25 years ago, and the twice burned distaste kinda finished us with that place too. There are some very nice sites there, and lots of people know them. And will cheat the system to occupy them.

Becoming more selective, and strategic, I’d rather take my chances with first-come, first serve and paddle further along ISO a decent site, and opt to do more mid-week launch and off-season trips to eliminate campsite competition in popular areas.

Quite a few years ago I was paddling down a small river south west of the Temagami region in Ontario with my first Chestnut Chum, 15', set up with a solo seat, real pretty little wood canvas canoe with cherry gunnels.

canoeatportage2_zps4c968210.jpg

The river was very easy, some rapids but nothing I should be concerned about.

MontrealRiver_zpsac6eac92.jpg

As I floated down some moving water I turned to take a picture of the upstream view when I was flipped out of the canoe. The water was waist deep and my canoe quickly wrapped around the rock that was just below the surface. I was able to get back to the canoe but unable to free it as it slowly began to break down. I freed the packs and watched them float downstream.

brokenchum_zps3f1933c0.jpg
I was unable to free the canoe even with the help of a long spruce trunk I found in the bush. What I should have done was slice the canvas and start removing plank to free the pressure but that idea didn't occur to me until I was probably half way home. I left the canoe, walked down to where the river entered a lake and swam out to retrieve my packs.I then bushwacked back upstream to a bridge over the river and sat down.

Much later an elderly couple picked me up and gave me a ride to the nearest town, about 25 miles away. I got a room in an old hotel and the owner found a guy to give me a ride to my truck a hundred miles away the next day, which was pretty expensive.
I actually drove back and tried again to free the canoe without success.

Attachments

• MontrealRiver_zpsac6eac92.jpg
    MontrealRiver_zpsac6eac92.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 1
Whoa, Robin, what a harrowing tale. Did you ever get any of your boat back home? My SIL and his buddy pinned and split one of my favorite tandem strippers, we managed to bring the boat home, but it never again touched water...parts of it later became memento photo frames for everyone that was on the trip.

Whoa, Robin, what a harrowing tale. Did you ever get any of your boat back home?.

No, I couldn't free it. As I mentioned previously, maybe if I removed a lot of the canvas and knocked out some planking to relieve the pressure I could have reed it, but that thought never occurred to me at the time.
All the rails where broken and a half a dozen ribs too, but the canoe could have been salvaged knowing what I know now.

This isn't exactly what the OP was referring to but my wife reminded me the other night how she "saved my life" on the upper Hudson after our first swim while learning WW skills. I highly doubt I would have died but she did save me from a longer swim and she also saved my paddle.

Back