• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Happy People: A Year in the Taiga.....

Reaction score
Just saw this documentary, now it's true, not one canoe in it but heaps of great woodscraft and how trappers make their lives year round on the taiga in Russia. It sure puts my puny efforts at roughing it in perspective!
Don't miss it, the one trapper that most of the film centers on seems to be a really decent person. And my stars! can he use an axe!! I just wish it was a two reel film so we could spend more time watching him make things.

Best Wishes, Rob

Watching documentaries is my favorite pastime as well. They are bit different from the usual and offer a lot to learn from. I'll try getting a copy soon of it.

Just finished watching the documentary (on Netflix). What a wonderful way to get firmly grounded again in what is truly important. Too many great scenes to detail them all but showing how they made a dugout canoe and the double paddle they use (did not see a Werner label on it ;)) definitely gives you some perspective! While I enjoy fussing over my equipment choices as much as the next person, it's does it get the job done and where we use it that really counts.

Thanks, Rob, for taking the time to let us know about the documentary.

Mark

Hi there George and Wendigo! Welcome to the site. It's a great video, my dog was watching over my shoulder and she's of the opinion that's what we ought to be doing. I think most of us have to laugh at our selves when contrasting those trappers and how we do things. I baby my guns, and that Mosin Nagant covered in frost and snow riding on Gunady's (sp?) back. I'm not too sure about carrying a hatchet/axe in the belt though; but who am I to argue they're wrong, if it works it's right.
I believe I'll get my own copy of that DVD, it's just too good not to own.

Thanks Yellow Canoe, but I think that tip is for some younger person, no question you'd learn a bunch but I'm pretty sure I'd just as soon be inside and warm once the leaves fall.

Best Wishes, Rob

Hi there George and Wendigo! Welcome to the site. It's a great video, my dog was watching over my shoulder and she's of the opinion that's what we ought to be doing. I think most of us have to laugh at our selves when contrasting those trappers and how we do things. I baby my guns, and that Mosin Nagant covered in frost and snow riding on Gunady's (sp?) back. I'm not too sure about carrying a hatchet/axe in the belt though; but who am I to argue they're wrong, if it works it's right.
I believe I'll get my own copy of that DVD, it's just too good not to own.

Thanks Yellow Canoe, but I think that tip is for some younger person, no question you'd learn a bunch but I'm pretty sure I'd just as soon be inside and warm once the leaves fall.

Best Wishes, Rob

Actually its not. Hulbert Outdoor Center has been running a cooperative program with the Bosuns of Ouje for a while and the average attendee is gray haired. The experience is about learning traditional Cree bushcraft and living in comfort with what Nature gives, rather than a "Survivor man" experience ( which I certainly could not do!).Warm does not mean being inside in subzero conditions but warm is what you experience in one of their winter lodges and warm is part of winter...( I overheat when out in the snow and active!).

Last edited:
Back