• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Handheld GPS question

Reaction score
We have a bunch of handheld Garmin Map76cx Gps's and one by one they have been biting the dust so now it is time for a new one.
We have been looking at the Garmin 78Sc and are wondering if any one has one and how you like it?
We are not interested in any other brands, just that one for now

I bought a Garmin inReach this fall and I think it's great. Has satellite texting and sos capabilities (with a subscription). Also like that the compass is true without having to be moving and the rechargable battery life was great. I got the Explorer+ model

We have a bunch of handheld Garmin Map76cx Gps's and one by one they have been biting the dust so now it is time for a new one.
We have been looking at the Garmin 78Sc and are wondering if any one has one and how you like it?
We are not interested in any other brands, just that one for now

Ive been using a 78sc for several years now after my 76cx failed survive a protracted length of time submerged in whitewater. Everything that I used the 76 for is on the 78. Self made maps on micro cards work seamlessly on both units.

it takes a little adjusting to where the features you want to use are located, but overall I found the adjustment easy. The new way they have organized the menus seem more intuitive to me. The closure seems more water resistant to me.

if you liked the 76, you'll probably like the 78 once you get your bearings by taking some time to play around with interface.

Ive been using a 78sc for several years now after my 76cx failed survive a protracted length of time submerged in whitewater. Everything that I used the 76 for is on the 78. Self made maps on micro cards work seamlessly on both units.

it takes a little adjusting to where the features you want to use are located, but overall I found the adjustment easy. The new way they have organized the menus seem more intuitive to me. The closure seems more water resistant to me.

if you liked the 76, you'll probably like the 78 once you get your bearings by taking some time to play around with interface.

Thanks,
that is what we were hoping to hear.
We were at West Marine, yesterday and played around with one The salesman said that they are coming out with a new model and in a few weeks this one should have a big mark down

The salesman said that they are coming out with a new model and in a few weeks this one should have a big mark down

I seem to recall seeing a recent a Garmin notice about a new 78 unit with InReach. If remote communication is a desired capability it might be worth waiting for the new unit.

I recently helped some friends who were 12 days on a western river with no cell service, nor NOAA NWS weather radio. They did have an InReach device and I was able to forewarn them by text of a 3 day high wind blow (gusts to 50mph). That fore warning gave them a chance to plan where to make camp and go hiking rather than being on the water. In remote areas having satellite text/email communication could be a life saver and it is certainly convenient

The new release Garmin GPSMAP 86Sci was delivered to me a couple weeks ago. Bought it for a trip I'm starting this coming Sunday. It is preloaded with G3 Marine Blue Charts and also has InReach...both of what I needed for this trip because it's part coastal Gulf of Mexico and Atlantic.
Took a while getting used to it because it replaced an old Garmin Etrex.

I would think the 78's will go on sale soon.

Jack, I've had the Garmin GPSMAP 78cs for about seven years and have been very pleased with it. I had a GPSMAP 76 for eight years before that, and am a big fan of Garmin and the 76/78 screen-on-bottom and hard button layout. (I hate touch screens, especially outdoors in wet conditions.) In addition to paddling, I've used the 78cs for cross-country road trips in my old van and for hiking.

I've downloaded various things into the 78cs: Garmin topo maps, an Everglades map, and satellite photos of the entire Sparkleberry Swamp in South Carolina. I haven't used the embedded Blue Charts much because I haven't paddled much in the ocean recently, but I'm sure you would get good use of them and all the other tidal features. The memory is so much bigger than in the 76 series.

I get 40+ hours of on time with Energizer Lithium Plus batteries. I just keep it on, with no back light, all day while paddling.

IMGP0083.JPG

Back